G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Considering an 06!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Considering an 06!

Hello everyone. I'm considering an 06 G35 6MT w/ Nav that has 61K miles on the clock.

I am just seeking input/opinions on how enthusiasts feel about the car....obviously everyone loves them but if you have anything specific to share please do.

Also, I'm going to browse around here. I'm no stranger to the search feature.

In the meantime though are there any common issues to look out for?

The one I have in mind is pretty damn clean, it was raining tonight so I had the dealer pull it into the garage and went over it pretty well....couldn't find one ding, it was hard to look for scratches on account of being wet but I don't think there are any ignorant ones.

I did take it for a little drive, I never owned a sport coupe before and was actually quite impressed with how comfortable it was to drive. The gears felt pretty close together and took minimal movement to engage, clutch felt great.....the clutch is actually a really easy one it seems. The seats seem to just grab a hold of me and were very supportive, it was a very pleasurable test drive despite the rain and not going above 3K RPM. That exhaust note is FTW! I think the exhaust note is the best part about the car.

I currently have an 06 Acura TL I bought in August of last year but I've been eyeing up these G35 6MT w/ Nav's on Autotrader for a few weeks now and am itching severely to see what they're about. I really prefer the 06 G35 due to exterior/interior revisions.

The Acura is a 6MT/Nav as well, nothing wrong with it or anything I've just got the G35 itch.

Any input would be appreciated.

Most importantly they seem to have it priced very competitively, the car is being priced at $19,800. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-01-2012, 01:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id say go for it! i was in the market for a 6mt coupe as well for the past 2 weeks but i finally scored on a 05... note that the 6mts seems to cost a bit more than the automatics. i believe its because they are more rare with their special Rev up motor making it in higher demand.. get the history report of the car and pick it up u wont be disapointed. good luck

Old 03-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Nothing wrong with the 05's, that's cool. Sometimes waiting does suck, especially when a nice deal comes along. At least you got what you wanted.

For what the car I'm looking at is I really feel that the price is reasonable. Good call, I totally forgot to ask for a Carfax tonight.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ohsixmtee
Nothing wrong with the 05's, that's cool. Sometimes waiting does suck, especially when a nice deal comes along. At least you got what you wanted.

For what the car I'm looking at is I really feel that the price is reasonable. Good call, I totally forgot to ask for a Carfax tonight.

Thanks for the reply.
I would get an autocheck over a carfax report. Even both would help.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Originally Posted by Gsouske35
I would get an autocheck over a carfax report. Even both would help.
Gotcha, I'll ask about both.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:42 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The oil consumption would worry me and the brakes will wear out much faster than your TL. Why don't you like your Acura? I'm looking to get one at some point.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by snowtrax
The oil consumption would worry me and the brakes will wear out much faster than your TL. Why don't you like your Acura? I'm looking to get one at some point.
Before I would finalize the sale I would most certainly show them the TSB which I found here and printed off and ask that they pull plug #6 and allow me, personally to have a look to make sure all is well. There's no way I'd go through with it if it were showing signs of that issue.

Brakes don't much concern me as they are a wear and tear, expected to need replaced from time to time item. I'm a very handy do it yourselfer equipped with a wide variety of tools and only paying for parts saves a ton of money. The only thing I will not screw with is an electrical issue, the dealer will be able to pin point that and save me much headache and pointlessly replaced parts. The front brakes on the 6MT Base TL's are somewhat expensive as well due to being 4 piston Brembos.

I am honestly perfectly happy with my TL, I am just itching for a G35 is all.

The TL's been great since I bought it in August 2011 with 75500 miles, currently at 89K and the only things I needed to replace were a driver's front door lock actuator because it was playing hell with the alarm and I just replaced a side engine mount about 2 weeks ago. It's a hell of a car and I'd recommend a 3G TL to anyone that's looking for the best luxury/sports bang for the buck. With the 6MT and extremely early shifting I average AT LEAST 31 mpg every tank, about 410 miles to right around 12.5 gallons.

I had Jones Acura replace the actuator for $150 out the door and the Genuine side mount ran me about $44 in parts through an OEM parts vendor on Acurazine. It's just a very reliable, terrific car.

I imagine the G35 isn't going to do quite that well with gas mileage but that's ok, that's why we go to work.

Last edited by ohsixmtee; 03-01-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Before I would finalize the sale I would most certainly show them the TSB which I found here and printed off and ask that they pull plug #6 and allow me, personally to have a look to make sure all is well. There's no way I'd go through with it if it were showing signs of that issue.

Brakes don't much concern me as they are a wear and tear, expected to need replaced from time to time item. I'm a very handy do it yourselfer equipped with a wide variety of tools and only paying for parts saves a ton of money. The only thing I will not screw with is an electrical issue, the dealer will be able to pin point that and save me much headache and pointlessly replaced parts. The front brakes on the 6MT Base TL's are somewhat expensive as well due to being 4 piston Brembos.

I am honestly perfectly happy with my TL, I am just itching for a G35 is all.

The TL's been great since I bought it in August 2011 with 75500 miles, currently at 89K and the only things I needed to replace were a driver's front door lock actuator because it was playing hell with the alarm and I just replaced a side engine mount about 2 weeks ago. It's a hell of a car and I'd recommend a 3G TL to anyone that's looking for the best luxury/sports bang for the buck. With the 6MT and extremely early shifting I average AT LEAST 31 mpg every tank, about 410 miles to right around 12.5 gallons.

I imagine the G35 isn't going to quite that well but that's ok, that's why we go to work.
I get 16.5 mpg in my G...on premium

Old 03-01-2012, 09:27 AM
I get 16.5 mpg in my G...on premium
How do you drive? In the TL I rarely shift above 2500K RPM and am always light on the throttle. 90% of my travels are spent on the highway. I imagine I could milk at least the rated 25 out of the G, could be wrong but that's my best educated guess.

Nationwide confirmed that the G would only raise my premium $18/month so we're golden there.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:06 AM
I drive pretty normally and all my trips are about 10 minutes. I thought I would be able to surpass the ratings but it's pretty difficult. I also do as much coasting as I can when there's no one behind me. Before I got a G I was like "there's no way these people are getting 14-16mpg they're claiming to get". If I drove harder I could easily get 14 or 15 but I don't want to drive too hard because the brakes wear out extremely fast as it is. With a TL you could accelerate hard, brake hard and still maintain mediocre mileage figures (from what I hear) and maintain decent brake life.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:13 AM
I drive pretty normally and all my trips are about 10 minutes. I thought I would be able to surpass the ratings but it's pretty difficult. I also do as much coasting as I can when there's no one behind me. Before I got a G I was like "there's no way these people are getting 14-16mpg they're claiming to get". If I drove harder I could easily get 14 or 15 but I don't want to drive too hard because the brakes wear out extremely fast as it is. With a TL you could accelerate hard, brake hard and still maintain mediocre mileage figures (from what I hear) and maintain decent brake life.
Ah ok, that makes sense then since all your trips are short.

Yeah, the TL I can get rowdy from time to time and the worst I've gotten over the course of a tank is 29. Haha. The nice thing about a manual is that it really saves your brakes, I'll usually coast/decel in each gear, downshifting around 1200 RPM to keep things nice and easy on the clutch.

What you've heard is def. on par, the TL is a terrific car for the money and extremely fun to drive. I would miss it a good bit.

There is the occasional person on AZ that claims to get **** city gas mileage but I really don't know....must just have a lot to do with my driving style because I went 2 tanks in a row of flat out city driving and maybe 10% highway and still averaged 28 mpg throughout the tank.

Who knows, as long as the G doesn't get Hummer gas mileage I think we're good.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Ah ok, that makes sense then since all your trips are short.

Yeah, the TL I can get rowdy from time to time and the worst I've gotten over the course of a tank is 29. Haha. The nice thing about a manual is that it really saves your brakes, I'll usually coast/decel in each gear, downshifting around 1200 RPM to keep things nice and easy on the clutch.

What you've heard is def. on par, the TL is a terrific car for the money and extremely fun to drive. I would miss it a good bit.

There is the occasional person on AZ that claims to get **** city gas mileage but I really don't know....must just have a lot to do with my driving style because I went 2 tanks in a row of flat out city driving and maybe 10% highway and still averaged 28 mpg throughout the tank.

Who knows, as long as the G doesn't get Hummer gas mileage I think we're good.
Downshifting and saving your brakes wears out your clutch, transmission etc. and braking wears out your brakes more...lose/lose situation. I would probably get a 2005 5AT but I think I would worry about the transmission too much.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Downshifting and saving your brakes wears out your clutch, transmission etc. and braking wears out your brakes more...lose/lose situation. I would probably get a 2005 5AT but I think I would worry about the transmission too much.
Actually there is a proper method of downshifting where it causes minimal excess wear on the clutch, I'll see if I can find the article but basically the idea is to match engine/drivetrain speed for a smooth engagement.

Say I'm coming to a stop from 50 mph and am in 5th gear, I'll coast 5th down to about 1K, coast 4th down to about 1K, coast 3rd down to about 1K and do the same with 2nd until I'm about stopped then clutch, neutral, clutch out. Doing it that way also uses less gas because you're not in neutral with the engine having to idle itself manually.

I hope that makes sense, I work night shift and have been awake all night. lol

Automatics are nice, personal preference really.....to me a luxury sport car should have a manual transmission. But on the other hand it is a luxury car which is complimented by a smooth automatic. Manual for me.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Actually there is a proper method of downshifting where it causes minimal excess wear on the clutch, I'll see if I can find the article but basically the idea is to match engine/drivetrain speed for a smooth engagement.

Say I'm coming to a stop from 50 mph and am in 5th gear, I'll coast 5th down to about 1K, coast 4th down to about 1K, coast 3rd down to about 1K and do the same with 2nd until I'm about stopped then clutch, neutral, clutch out. Doing it that way also uses less gas because you're not in neutral with the engine having to idle itself manually.

I hope that makes sense, I work night shift and have been awake all night. lol

Automatics are nice, personal preference really.....to me a luxury sport car should have a manual transmission. But on the other hand it is a luxury car which is complimented by a smooth automatic. Manual for me.
If it weren't for having to replace the clutch then I would probably get a manual but I'm very **** and I don't want another thing to worry about lol. And, when you're looking for a car you have to try and guess how the clutch was driven; pretty difficult if purchasing from a dealer.

As far as gas goes in the G, it's not the money that bothers me mostly, it' the fact that the mileage is so bad. I only put gas in once every 2-3 weeks but when I look and my tank is almost empty and I've only gone 200 miles it gets frustrating then I think of how much better the TL is...then I get reading and see the tranny problems and decide I like my G

Old 03-01-2012, 11:10 AM
If it weren't for having to replace the clutch then I would probably get a manual but I'm very **** and I don't want another thing to worry about lol. And, when you're looking for a car you have to try and guess how the clutch was driven; pretty difficult if purchasing from a dealer.

As far as gas goes in the G, it's not the money that bothers me mostly, it' the fact that the mileage is so bad. I only put gas in once every 2-3 weeks but when I look and my tank is almost empty and I've only gone 200 miles it gets frustrating then I think of how much better the TL is...then I get reading and see the tranny problems and decide I like my G
I hear ya, a clutch is an expensive puzzle piece to worry about.

I can imagine, I guess the only thing you could do is find a fuel efficient city car to use for your short trips...

The TL automatic trans. failure rate is fairly high from what I gather from reading on AZ for the past few months.

The 6MT's tend to have a notchy 3rd gear, mine had this ever so slightly when I bought it. My local Acura dealer actually suggests using and stocks a GM Synchromesh Friction Modified fluid that I had them swap in and ever since the gears just feel like shifting in butter. lol

If I were you I would get a 6MT......if you take it out and wind out a gear you can tell a clutch that's getting worn, you'll get a spongy clutch pedal after the sprited pull usually.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.