G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

So I painted my calipers with G2 Caliper paint....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I painted my calipers with G2 Caliper paint....

For some odd reason, my caliper on the rear passenger side is slightly burnt and theres a weird squeaking sound when I brake after my car is warmed up or after I drive for a few minutes.

I didn't paint them with the calipers off, I just taped it with painters tape. I did get a bit of paint on the brake shims (the thin chrome pieces of metal), but only on the very outer edge that isn't touching the caliper.

Anyone have an idea of what it might be before I remove the wheel and inspect it this weekend?

Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Burnt? Pics?
How long did you wait to drive the car after painting?
You're 100% sure the squeak wasn't already there?

I've done my past 3 cars with G2 without taking calipers off or doing any masking.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts
G35
The chrome shims might be a reason, I remember I didn't grease one side once & ran into similar problem

Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by SiouxFallsG35
Burnt? Pics?
How long did you wait to drive the car after painting?
You're 100% sure the squeak wasn't already there?

I've done my past 3 cars with G2 without taking calipers off or doing any masking.
I'll get some pics tomorrow and I'm positive the squeak wasn't there before painting.

What I did was:
remove wheels
clean brakes
paint brakes
paint practically dry -> put wheels back on
drove it 2 days later

Old 05-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Burnt makes me think stuck caliper.

The rear passenger (and sometimes driver) side of these cars (and many other nissan) are notorious for seizing. If it is hotter than the other side after driving - as in you can feel the heat coming off of it - then you have to rebuild or replace the caliper. Replace the rotor, too.

Happened to alot of people here, but I think it's just coincidence that you painted yours and had this happen.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:06 PM
G35
Oh snap. That would suck.

If you have to replace the caliper lucky it's not a brembo lol

Old 05-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
You need to take a close look at the caliper Sammy, burnt isn't a good thing. Has nothing to do with your painting the calipers, from what you posted you did every thing right. Do you have a good independent brake/alignment shop in your area? Have them check it out and it might be a good time to replace your brake fluid....Gary

Old 05-08-2012, 12:23 AM
G35
My brakes are fine lol. That happened to me years & years ago with a different car.

But if the paint is on the chrome piece holding the pads from coming back out could cause the brakes to overheat I think

Old 05-08-2012, 12:23 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i agree with gary. It might not have been smart but when i painted my brakes a couple weeks ago i cleaned them and painted the calipers and rotors. So when i drove it and hit the brakes a few times it would wear a perfect ring into the paint. Looks pretty good, didnt feel like a good idea at the time tho. So like i said before, probably not paint.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine didd the same thing just a few days ago...took it to the shop, and it was my rear caliper seized..had to have it replaced..i dont think the paint has anything to do with it...sounds like the same exact problem as mine....catchh it in time so it wont screw up the rotor..and you should be good...

Old 05-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Okay, so my cousin checked it for me today and the piston is stuck, as in it won't retract, but the caliper clamps back into position fine. Tried a wrench and a C clamp. Neither works. I forgot to take pics, but the caliper looks like it has jaundice compared to the others. I think the caliper has been bad for a while because I always felt the brakes were not strong enough for the car. I've probably been only using 3 brakes for a while lol.

So now that I know the caliper is bad. I have a few questions.

Would I need to buy a brand new caliper or do you recommend just rebuilding it? I feel it is more work to rebuild than just buy a used one, but it would be nice to keep the silver paint.
Also, why would I need new rotors? Or more so, how do I tell I need new ones?

Last edited by saltyload; 05-12-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Burnt Caliper replace it and the fluid!

There's a possibility that the caliper may not be rebuildable due to the amount of heat it suffered. Get a new one, paint it and get down the road! How long has it been since you replaced the brake fluid? Since that rotor froze up and there was a lot of heat involved now would be a good time to replace it all....that's only if you like doing things right!
Gary

The following users liked this post:
saltyload (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 11:41 PM
I plan on buying a rebuild kit and see how that goes. I don't drive too often, so I don't think the rotors would need to be changed. If it doesn't work, then I'm gonna try and buy a used caliper. Do you know if all nonbrembo g35 rear calipers are interchangeable (different years and sedan/coupe)?

Last edited by saltyload; 05-12-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saltyload
I plan on buying a rebuild kit and see how that goes. I don't drive too often, so I don't think the rotors would need to be changed. If it doesn't work, then I'm gonna try and buy a used caliper. Do you know if all nonbrembo g35 rear calipers are interchangeable (different years and sedan/coupe)?
Dont quote me, but i think the rears are interchangeable. 05+ fronts are different though.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Gary, I'm gonna take your advice and buy another caliper. Would you recommend buying a used one or a used rebuilt one? I feel if I buy a used one it's gonna be prone to seizing again and a rebuilt one is less likely to have that problem again?

Last edited by saltyload; 05-13-2012 at 11:29 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So I painted my calipers with G2 Caliper paint....