G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Can you powdercoat the '05 19" wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you powdercoat the '05 19" wheels?

If so, about how much does that generally run for powdercoating the spokes (leave lip polished)?

Thanks.

Old 01-13-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by lkmbrd
If so, about how much does that generally run for powdercoating the spokes (leave lip polished)?

Thanks.

Sure you can powdercoat them! I would be difficult to leave the lip however, you would have to tape off all that is not to be painted and that would be a form of art to get it perfect! Average should be around $50 a wheel if you decide to do it! Remember you have to take the tires off as well.

Old 01-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by roadracer516
Sure you can powdercoat them! I would be difficult to leave the lip however, you would have to tape off all that is not to be painted and that would be a form of art to get it perfect! Average should be around $50 a wheel if you decide to do it! Remember you have to take the tires off as well.
I would be broke if I charged that price when I owned my powder shop it should take more then that my friend

Old 01-13-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by G35Vision
I would be broke if I charged that price when I owned my powder shop it should take more then that my friend
Well, not sure where you are, but here is So Cal, it is about $50 a wheel. I just had my stock 18's done about 3 months ago for $50 a wheel and about a year ago, I have some motorcyle race wheels done at $50 a wheel? So I don't know what to say, but I do speak from actually having it done and not on assumption!

Old 01-14-2005, 12:00 AM
very nice then ... im in Long Island NY .... I did rims 4 bikes all day long for much much more money then that ... Glad you got a nice deal ....

Old 01-14-2005, 12:16 AM
I'd be doing it in NC. NY prices are sure to be a good bit higher than NC prices.

Thanks fellas.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:34 AM
Z2G
i don't want to sound stupid.....but what are the benefits of powercoating the wheels? are there any downsides?

Old 01-14-2005, 01:23 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
power coating is a bit more durable than painting. dowsides is it CAN get pretty pricy, and the prep work (dismountinmg the tires,etc) can be a pain other than that its the way to go, paint chips too easy

Old 01-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by JDM_CPV35
power coating is a bit more durable than painting. dowsides is it CAN get pretty pricy, and the prep work (dismountinmg the tires,etc) can be a pain other than that its the way to go, paint chips too easy
Well.....I beg to differ with you on paint chipping! The main reason I powdercoat my race wheels is because it is VERY DURABLE, 100 times more than regular painting itself! race wheels go through hell every weekend, getting tires mounted and dismounted time after time and powdercoating them makes them near industructible, chipping is almost eliminated!

Other than having to go through the process, powdercoating IS the way to go if you are looking for color!

Old 01-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by roadracer516
Well.....I beg to differ with you on paint chipping! The main reason I powdercoat my race wheels is because it is VERY DURABLE, 100 times more than regular painting itself! race wheels go through hell every weekend, getting tires mounted and dismounted time after time and powdercoating them makes them near industructible, chipping is almost eliminated!

Other than having to go through the process, powdercoating IS the way to go if you are looking for color!

ok... you obviously misread... i said paint chips too easy, and that powdercoating is the way to go. i know that its alot more durable than paint, BUT its not always the case. some powders have less durability than others, and paints such as imron, are very durable. but in the end, powdercoating can be a pain in the ***, BUT IT IS ABSOLUTELY THE WAY TO GO FOR WHEELS.

Old 01-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by JDM_CPV35
ok... you obviously misread... i said paint chips too easy, and that powdercoating is the way to go. i know that its alot more durable than paint, BUT its not always the case. some powders have less durability than others, and paints such as imron, are very durable. but in the end, powdercoating can be a pain in the ***, BUT IT IS ABSOLUTELY THE WAY TO GO FOR WHEELS.
Got Ya! You are correct about the paint and "prep" is the key to a good durable powdercoat as well! I have used the same place for the past 8 years, their work is spectacular!

Old 01-14-2005, 01:08 PM
ill tell you man... i am an industrial designer, and i had a furniture design class at school, which i made a carbon fiber and aluminum chair. the aluminum frame was powdercoated, and the powdercoater told me that the finish i wanted (matte black) is not very scratch proof (as are alot of finishes) and that it is not meant for outdoor use (as some finishes have uv protection) and that the uv rays would break the powder apart and it would literally dust. he was right, it did chip easy and scratch easy