G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Factory Paint Defects and Other Rants!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by bocatrip
There have also been success stories where owners had gotten the dealers to repaint their cars and sometimes, even the entire car.
I bet they were still under warranty.

OP, worst case scenario contact your insurance company and see if they will cover the paint. It worked for me

Old 08-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
OP, from your description of your paint, your paint is not original, probably repainted at maaco

im surprised noone else mentioned this

Old 08-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by bocatrip
Weak paint has been an ongoing problem even when these cars were new. I've read posts of owners taking their cars through car washes and finding sheets of paint peeled off once they left. Laser Red is probably one of the more notorious earlier colors that had more than it's share of issues with chipping etc. There have also been success stories where owners had gotten the dealers to repaint their cars and sometimes, even the entire car. There is no question about it, that Infiniti is aware of all of these issues, but deal with each one on a case to case basis. Some owners other than the chipping have escaped some of the horror stories told by others. Personally, I've probably only been lucky due to very little driving per year, having a clear bra since new, and keeping most of the miles off the highways.
^could also be dealers repainting parts and it was a shitty job resulting in the poor paint quality later and it might not have been that way from the factory. the cars only come from a few factories with all the same paint machine so if it was an issue from the factory there would be a ton of cars with paint issues

Old 08-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Donna L.
Aloha, fellow G35 enthusiasts!

I bought the car brand new, too!!!
Im sure everyone thought Maaco until we read that...

Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
oops didnt read that

Old 08-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
About the best thing you can do for these cars, is if you get them re-painted, or buy a new car, is to seal the finish with Optimum Opti-Coat.

It's a self-leveling laquer that you apply to the finish with a foam pad. Works wonders for protecting the finish from what I've seen.
It's a resin pre polymer and is only self-leveling to some extent during it's 3 month cure time. Even then, if you do not level it correctly when first applied or make sure the paint is stripped, you will be left with high spots or uneven splotches which can be a nightmare to deal with.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Donna L.
I bought the car brand new, too!!!
Woops missed this, I don't enjoy listening to anyone rage. Well, I guess we can't blame anyone else for the condition of your paint. Honestly, the dealership isn't going to cover your paint. Had you used a car cover and had her waxed a couple times a year you wouldn't be having this issue....Gary

Old 08-03-2012, 01:15 AM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
It's a resin pre polymer and is only self-leveling to some extent during it's 3 month cure time. Even then, if you do not level it correctly when first applied or make sure the paint is stripped, you will be left with high spots or uneven splotches which can be a nightmare to deal with.
I know it's not a perfect solution. But it seems to work alright. A kid I used to go to college with put it on his car, and it seemed to hold up pretty decently for the two years he owned the car before I came home.

I had no idea it had a 3 month cure time, though. What a biatch.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:57 AM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
I know it's not a perfect solution. But it seems to work alright. A kid I used to go to college with put it on his car, and it seemed to hold up pretty decently for the two years he owned the car before I came home.

I had no idea it had a 3 month cure time, though. What a biatch.

If you can get it applied without a problem you're pretty set afterwards. I'm currently test out Wolf's Chemicals Hard Body, which is similar with a 2 year durability and scratch resistance, but it is MUCH easier and more forgiving to apply.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bma619
I don't mean to be rude but paint is considered a wear and tear. You realize that the vehicle is a 2005 and the paint is 7 years old. I own a 2003 pearl white coupe and am also having paint issues but it's about time the car gets a fresh paint job anyways.
I don't mean to be rude either, but I don't think that a seven year old car should already need a new paint job. Idk about you, but I have higher expectations for so-called "luxury, high-end" vehicles such as Infiniti. Yes, little minor paint chips and other blemishes caused by normal wear and tear are understandable, but it's completely unsatisfactory that my color coat is peeling/flaking off for no good reason. The paint is not adhering to the primer at all.

See for yourself:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20988645@N05/7729145376/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20988645@N05/7729147000/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20988645@N05/7729148616/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20988645@N05/7729150376/

Old 08-08-2012, 07:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rsingerG35
My 06 has chips everywhere. It isn't the strongest of paint. IMO the paint shouldn't be flaking at 7 years, to early.
Thanks for sharing. I totally agree with you in that the paint shouldn't be having major issues at seven years old. It's just a pity that such a nice car is using cheap paint. ;(

Old 08-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
car is not high end or luxury. Sounds like someone was sold a pipe dream

Old 08-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Typically paint should last more then 7 years but it depends what the car has been through during that time and if it was done properly to begin with. OP, you said there were rock chips that caused the flaking so I still believe what happened is normal. I had to repaint the front half of my 06 last year due to rock chips and the paint started flaking within 2 weeks at the car wash.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Donna, guess you didn't like my last response? You're paint is failing because of the salt air and warm/hot climate! How many nights/days has your coupe set outside without being covered or garaged since you've owned it? Either trade it in or spend the $$ to have a quality body shop repaint it then start using a car cover so this will never happen again. Oh and have it detailed a couple times a year too....Gary

Old 08-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
If you can get it applied without a problem you're pretty set afterwards. I'm currently test out Wolf's Chemicals Hard Body, which is similar with a 2 year durability and scratch resistance, but it is MUCH easier and more forgiving to apply.
Let me know how it works. I'm planning on repainting the G to get rid of all the rock chips/minor blemishes. I may give one of these a shot.

Originally Posted by herrschaft
You bought a Nissan, not a Mercedes.
I saw this post from earlier up and just thought I'd mention...not for long.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Factory Paint Defects and Other Rants!