G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Factory Paint Defects and Other Rants!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by saywat?
im curious wat did u do when the first paint chip/crack appeared? im sure it didnt start off big all at once. did it not start as a small chip/crack and over time u didnt touch it up and left it and it jus got bigger and bigger?
I pretty much brought her into the the dealership as soon as I noticed the first signs of bubbling and flaking. It started off as a small (maybe dime-size?) "chip" on the driver side part of the hood. The service folks at the dealership looked at it and said there's nothing they could do about it; they said if I wanted to, I could call Infiniti Consumer Affairs and take the matter up with them - basically got blown off. Since I was told that the hood wouldn't rust, I just left it and over the course of a year it naturally got worse. I honestly didn't think the paint would degrade THAT quickly, though. I don't think touching it up would've have made a huge difference. If anything, it would have just delayed the inevitable. And now the same thing is starting to happen on the top of my car!

Old 08-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by rsingerG35
I think you just got a lemon. Not every G35 is going to be perfect. I knew a guy with an 05 and he never cleaned it. Paint still intact.

The whole body is not aluminum.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Better off getting paying a body shop to repaint the hood. At least the new paint will be stronger than factory.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Any progress Donna?

Old 02-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I know its a old thread. But, if the op bought the car new...she should've been eligble under the infiniti corrosion warranty for the failing paint. Its 7yrs unlimited miles. Since you brought it up in 2012, you might be able to get it warranted under that.

https://owners.infinitiusa.com/iowne...ation/warranty

Old 02-02-2013, 07:44 PM
My 06 is laser red and the paint chips extremely easily, I cringe every time I'm driving through a parking lot and hear the tiny pebbles being kicked up by my tires because I know its chipping the paint. No matter how slowly I try to drive over it, my performance tires kick up the pebbles.
If enough people were to have the issue, I'm sure a class action suit would be feasible. It would be nice to receive a check in the mail from Infiniti or a certificate for a free paint job but I'm not going to be holding my breath.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by rs634158
My 06 is laser red and the paint chips extremely easily, I cringe every time I'm driving through a parking lot and hear the tiny pebbles being kicked up by my tires because I know its chipping the paint. No matter how slowly I try to drive over it, my performance tires kick up the pebbles.
If enough people were to have the issue, I'm sure a class action suit would be feasible. It would be nice to receive a check in the mail from Infiniti or a certificate for a free paint job but I'm not going to be holding my breath.
Doubt it. Infiniti doesn't own up to stuff like that.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:13 PM
I posted about our paint problems on their facebook page and they asked that I message them. So I shared this post and a few others and expressed these issues. Odds are though nothing will happen but I thought I'd put it out there.

The following users liked this post:
Donna L. (07-10-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Infiniti asked me for my VIN. Not sure what that means.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
they probably want to make sure your a real infiniti owner and not just a facebook troll

Old 02-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Hopefully she's had this paint issue resolved, there have been zero post from her since last August. I can see how the hot island sun along with salt air would do a number on any paint job. Unless you use a car cover and keep your ride garaged the clear coat is going to take a major hit. Ever noticed how many rusty cars you see in the islands? The conditions are the reason along with lack of care....Gary

Old 07-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by rsingerG35
Any progress Donna?
Hi Rich! Sorry for the late reply, but yes, progress was made. In the end, Infiniti corporate finally budged and offered to pay for half of the repair costs. I guess better than nothing, right? However, my overall experience in dealing with Infiniti/Nissan has been sub par, and I wouldn't recommend their cars to anyone. There are a lot of nice cars out there, but what it comes down to is quality customer care and service, because that's what sets your brand apart. Idk, just my opinion. But thank you for checking up on me and my G, appreciate it!

~ Donna

Old 07-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
I know its a old thread. But, if the op bought the car new...she should've been eligble under the infiniti corrosion warranty for the failing paint. Its 7yrs unlimited miles. Since you brought it up in 2012, you might be able to get it warranted under that.

https://owners.infinitiusa.com/iowne...ation/warranty
Hi! Thanks for responding. Yes, the 7-year warranty was mentioned... much later down the line of course, after I had complained several times already. However, they said that it didn't apply in my situation, because they chalked it up to "normal wear and tear." Such BS. Regardless of the crappy workmanship and whatnot, what it ultimately boiled down to was the customer service... if they would've just handled the situation better, than I'd still be a loyal Infiniti customer today, but instead, I now tell people to steer clear of Infiniti/Nissan if they can help it.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Donna L.
Hi! Thanks for responding. Yes, the 7-year warranty was mentioned... much later down the line of course, after I had complained several times already. However, they said that it didn't apply in my situation, because they chalked it up to "normal wear and tear." Such BS. Regardless of the crappy workmanship and whatnot, what it ultimately boiled down to was the customer service... if they would've just handled the situation better, than I'd still be a loyal Infiniti customer today, but instead, I now tell people to steer clear of Infiniti/Nissan if they can help it.
Not really fair on your part, it's fair on Nissan/Infiniti's. In their defense, the paint defect could have been caused by ANYTHING, bird crap, acid from a car wash, drips from a paint garage... They shouldn't have an obligation, it is normal wear and tear. I do agree the early failure sucks, and it's unfortunate in this case. If they "fixed" yours in full, they would have to deal with every douche that poured brake fluid on this paint so he can claim warranty and get a new paint job. There are absolutely no records leading up to this.

Infiniti did the right thing. The car is 9 years old. Hostility towards the brand because they wouldn't re-paint a 9 year old paint job is completely unreasonable, it should be more than enough that they offered to pay for half. That is good customer service.

The following users liked this post:
saywat? (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
^ thank u! nice to see some sense in this fkn thread!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Factory Paint Defects and Other Rants!