G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Factory Paint Defects and Other Rants!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Donna, guess you didn't like my last response? You're paint is failing because of the salt air and warm/hot climate! How many nights/days has your coupe set outside without being covered or garaged since you've owned it? Either trade it in or spend the $$ to have a quality body shop repaint it then start using a car cover so this will never happen again. Oh and have it detailed a couple times a year too....Gary
Even using some kind of soap like Meguiar's Ultimate car wash with carnauba in the soap should be more than enough to give at least a little protection.

It's what I've been using on the G. Helps the wax coat last a little longer.

The following users liked this post:
Donna L. (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
interesting op has not mentioned how she has cared for the car (wash, wax, covered, fix chips). im surprised she has left the hood like that and it hasnt rusted yet. but all is not lost. looks like its jus the hood. jus get it repainted should cost less than $400. that stuff looks like owner neglect imo

Old 08-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Wow I'm not going to lie, I wasn't expecting paint to be completely missing!

Old 08-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
The pictures you posted have nothing to do with infiniti paint. The car was not prepped properly at the factory and should be covered under warranty. Flaking and chipping are two different things. Chipping on most modern car paints (all makes are goin to waterbourne paints) is caused by road debris and is common. Flaking, which you are experiencing is due to a manufacturer defect and is not common and should be fixed by Infiniti.

Donna L. (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoulGlo
car is not high end or luxury. Sounds like someone was sold a pipe dream
Right... perhaps it's not quite the epitome of what luxury is, BUT it is still a higher end car. Obviously, as far as true luxury goes, it's not a BMW, Mercedes, or what have you, but it is still supposed to be of a higher caliber than your typical Nissan... at least that's what I had expected, anyway. ;p

But thank you for your $0.02. Guess maybe you're right and I got duped... *sigh*

Old 08-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
The pictures you posted have nothing to do with infiniti paint. The car was not prepped properly at the factory and should be covered under warranty. Flaking and chipping are two different things. Chipping on most modern car paints (all makes are goin to waterbourne paints) is caused by road debris and is common. Flaking, which you are experiencing is due to a manufacturer defect and is not common and should be fixed by Infiniti.
do the robots not do all the prepping and painting at the factory? so every car is painted the same? thus more cars would have this issue if it was due to an error from the factory?

Old 08-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by saywat?
interesting op has not mentioned how she has cared for the car (wash, wax, covered, fix chips). im surprised she has left the hood like that and it hasnt rusted yet. but all is not lost. looks like its jus the hood. jus get it repainted should cost less than $400. that stuff looks like owner neglect imo
As I had mentioned in my response to one of the other users, I am going to admit that I probably didn't wash & wax as often as I should have, but I most certainly didn't neglect her either. Even still, at seven years, the paint shouldn't be peeling/flaking off like it is now. No offense to anyone, but I see cheap-y cars all over the island (meaning they are also exposed to the same elements as my vehicle) whose paint is still intact, and I KNOW those cars don't receive nearly as much TLC as is recommended. Just sayin'...

And I left the hood as is for the time being because: 1) it's going to cost a pretty penny to repaint, and 2) when I had first showed the dealership what was going on, they said that I wouldn't have to worry about it b/c the material that the hood is made out of doesn't rust. I like how they totally missed my point; I wanted to them to address the paint issue and not reassure me that my hood will be okay in spite of the damage (although that is comforting to know, I suppose). They completely just dismissed the whole thing without any regard to my dissatisfaction with their product. The same applies to Infiniti Consumer Affairs. Poor customer service all around. It's too bad, b/c I love the G35, but I would never ever buy another Infiniti, nor would I recommend it to anyone else due to their lack of genuine concern for their customers. :-\

Old 08-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Donna L.
As I had mentioned in my response to one of the other users, I am going to admit that I probably didn't wash & wax as often as I should have, but I most certainly didn't neglect her either. Even still, at seven years, the paint shouldn't be peeling/flaking off like it is now. No offense to anyone, but I see cheap-y cars all over the island (meaning they are also exposed to the same elements as my vehicle) whose paint is still intact, and I KNOW those cars don't receive nearly as much TLC as is recommended. Just sayin'...

And I left the hood as is for the time being because: 1) it's going to cost a pretty penny to repaint, and 2) when I had first showed the dealership what was going on, they said that I wouldn't have to worry about it b/c the material that the hood is made out of doesn't rust. I like how they totally missed my point; I wanted to them to address the paint issue and not reassure me that my hood will be okay in spite of the damage (although that is comforting to know, I suppose). They completely just dismissed the whole thing without any regard to my dissatisfaction with their product. The same applies to Infiniti Consumer Affairs. Poor customer service all around. It's too bad, b/c I love the G35, but I would never ever buy another Infiniti, nor would I recommend it to anyone else due to their lack of genuine concern for their customers. :-\
im curious wat did u do when the first paint chip/crack appeared? im sure it didnt start off big all at once. did it not start as a small chip/crack and over time u didnt touch it up and left it and it jus got bigger and bigger?

Old 08-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Donna, guess you didn't like my last response? You're paint is failing because of the salt air and warm/hot climate! How many nights/days has your coupe set outside without being covered or garaged since you've owned it? Either trade it in or spend the $$ to have a quality body shop repaint it then start using a car cover so this will never happen again. Oh and have it detailed a couple times a year too....Gary
Hahaha! That's not the case at all, Gary. I actually appreciate your honest opinions and input. It's just kind of frustrating to see cheap cars all around the island that don't have any paint problems whatsoever, and I'm pretty certain those cars don't get that much attention from their owners. Ya know?

Old 08-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
im surprised she has left the hood like that and it hasnt rusted yet.
Aluminum doesn't rust.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 PM
^ i see. jus the hoods aluminum?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^ i see. jus the hoods aluminum?
Not sure on the rest of the body.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Donna L.
Hahaha! That's not the case at all, Gary. I actually appreciate your honest opinions and input. It's just kind of frustrating to see cheap cars all around the island that don't have any paint problems whatsoever, and I'm pretty certain those cars don't get that much attention from their owners. Ya know?
Honestly it could be a number of factors. It does look like poor prep (had the same thing happen to a front lip that was poorly prepped) but it's hard to believe that that could happen at the factory, especially in such a rare occurrence.

Donna L. (08-09-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 09:02 PM
the hood couldve been repainted before by the dealer

Old 08-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
I think you just got a lemon. Not every G35 is going to be perfect. I knew a guy with an 05 and he never cleaned it. Paint still intact.

The whole body is not aluminum.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Factory Paint Defects and Other Rants!