G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Factory Paint Defects and Other Rants!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:27 AM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Infini paint is very poor IMO. And they probably know it. With your VIN they can see your production period and if there was any concern with their paint process then that would cause issues. Why do you think they've began using clear bras. everyone is cutting back trying to make their processes cheaper and cheaper.

The following users liked this post:
Donna L. (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 01:33 AM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
Paint still looks great on my 03.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
Not really fair on your part, it's fair on Nissan/Infiniti's. In their defense, the paint defect could have been caused by ANYTHING, bird crap, acid from a car wash, drips from a paint garage... They shouldn't have an obligation, it is normal wear and tear. I do agree the early failure sucks, and it's unfortunate in this case. If they "fixed" yours in full, they would have to deal with every douche that poured brake fluid on this paint so he can claim warranty and get a new paint job. There are absolutely no records leading up to this.

Infiniti did the right thing. The car is 9 years old. Hostility towards the brand because they wouldn't re-paint a 9 year old paint job is completely unreasonable, it should be more than enough that they offered to pay for half. That is good customer service.
Thank you for your input. Okay, fair assessment and I understand where you're coming from, but as I've mentioned previously, it really came down to how Infiniti Consumer Affairs dealt with the situation. It wasn't until I actually spoke with the people higher up on the Corporate ladder that there was some respect and real customer care. And I think the only reason why I even got to interact with the higher-up's is because I reported the incident to the BBB. With any business, customer service is key. I have witnessed/experienced better customer care and service with mid-range brands. If anything, I would think higher-end brands should provide equal if not better quality customer service.

The following users liked this post:
Darkstar752 (07-11-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 11:45 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Ok first off this has got to be one of the dumber threads I've seen around here besides the one where the guy ripped the Infiniti stitching off his seats trying to debadge it lol.

Lets use some logic. When you are driving 70+ miles on a highway and a rock hits your windshield hard what happens? It cracks or chips. Now if you are traveling 70+ miles and a rock hits a painted surface such as your bumper you better believe its going to freaking chip. How the hell would paint with stand chipping when even glass cant and thats alot harder? Come on people use some logic here.

If you go to other luxury car forums people bitch and whine about the same stuff you do about Infiniti's paint. The sad fact of the matter is all paint chips no matter what. If that werent true why do.people who buy cars that cost four times the amount of Infiniti's have clear bras put on? Most of you make absolutely no sense.

Even aftermarket paint chips too. My 09 Fx35 was damaged in sandy by a tree branch and power line and I had a $21K ppg ceramic clearcoat done at the famous Martino auto concepts that works specifically on luxury and exotic cars here in NY. I dedicated an entire thread on my full ceramic clearcoat paintjob on the Fx forums just search. Everyone knows ceramic clear coats are 10x harder than normal clear coats and I still get paint chips. Doesnt matter what the hell you drive all cars get chipped.

If you dont want chips either get a clear bra or just simply dont drive the car and stop whining about it.

Last edited by Fire0nic3; 07-17-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:48 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
^ ha, true story. Although Infinity DOES have notoriously thin paint, thats usually a non-point. Yes, the paint is thin and chips easily. Does it suck? Yes. My 04' has a clear bra sprayed onto the front and it still gets rock chips. Theres nothing you can do about it, except accept it and move on. Or dont drive it. If your car was less than a year old and the paint started to flake off than yea, you would have a legitimate claim against a paint defect. But after your car has weathered life on the road for a few years its just normal wear and tear. Its best to just not worry about it. I bought a small bottle of touch up paint directly from Infiniti and when I notice a rock chip I just cover it up. Done deal. the bottle costed me around 12$.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread... but, ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, Infiniti paint is poor quality. Flakes off during a wash and is crap. Fact.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:08 PM
my paint still going strong. no problems here from my 03

Old 07-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by saywat?
my paint still going strong. no problems here from my 03
That's awesome. Glad you got lucky.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:25 PM
nah im sure im in the 99%.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
It's soft as in scratches easy and of course rock chips come, but shouldnt be flaking off during a wash.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Sounds like paint neglect.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by rsingerG35
Sounds like paint neglect.
^ Agreed. Sounds like the factory neglected to paint it properly. That's liable.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Sure Shot
^ Agreed. Sounds like the factory neglected to paint it properly. That's liable.
Maybe, but unlikely. Are you the first owner? If not how do you know it wasnt repainted?

Old 07-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by JKL1031
It's soft as in scratches easy and of course rock chips come, but shouldnt be flaking off during a wash.
^ Agreed. I have personally seen other Gs and spoken to other owners with the same complaint. Doesn't take a genius to come to the conclusion this is a factory issue, common sense is enough. The paint on my father's '66 holds up better... and that thing has been put through the ringer (um... that's 48 years...).

Old 07-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by rsingerG35
Maybe, but unlikely. Are you the first owner? If not how do you know it wasnt repainted?
Wasn't repainted. I know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Factory Paint Defects and Other Rants!