G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 doors & Z doors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 doors & Z doors

Why are the G35 coupe doors so damn heavy? They weight a ton compared to the Z's. They could have reduced the weight and that would help a little with the 0-60 time.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:11 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
its convenient how on slightly slanted roads they close by themselves

Old 01-17-2005, 06:36 PM
Have you actually weighed them? I'm not trying to be cute, but if you are going by sound it doesn't mean that they are heavier since it could just be additional insulation for noise dampening.

As an aside, there was an automaker a number of years ago (I don't remember which) that did a study by packing doors with additional insulation, thus producing a more satisfying "solid" sound when closed. When compared to the identical car in the control group without the insulation, sales were quite a bit higher in the former with customers stating higher satisfaction with build quality.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:41 PM
You don't have to weigh the doors on the G35c to know they weigh quite a lot. It's not about the sound. It's about trying to open/close the door in general. That can prove to be difficult when you have a ton of things in your hands, parked on a curb with an inclination. You have to throw the damn door open.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Are you kidding me? Come on, that has to do with the hinge design and balance. A two ton safe door can be engineered to be opened by a child's touch, does that mean it is light? I'm not saying that the Gs doors are lighter than the Zs, I don't know the answer. My point is we need empirical evidence to answer the question.

Old 01-17-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by uther
Are you kidding me? Come on, that has to do with the hinge design and balance. A two ton safe door can be engineered to be opened by a child's touch, does that mean it is light? I'm not saying that the Gs doors are lighter than the Zs, I don't know the answer. My point is we need empirical evidence to answer the question.
Does this mean the G35 engineers wanted doors only to be opened by muscle builders? lol Why did they make the Z's doors so light? I am thinking if airbags were installed in there, that could be it. However, the difference is dramatic between the g35 and the Z. This just boggles my mind. lol

Old 01-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gaara
Why are the G35 coupe doors so damn heavy? They weight a ton compared to the Z's. They could have reduced the weight and that would help a little with the 0-60 time.
The Z is a two seater, so people don't have to get in the back seats. All coupes (with back seats) have bigger doors so that people can get in and out.

Try comparing the doors for a coupe and sedan (of the same car). Check out an Accord coupe doors vs. an Accord sedan doors. Of course, you could look at a G35 Coupe vs. Sedan...

Old 01-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by uther
Are you kidding me? Come on, that has to do with the hinge design and balance. A two ton safe door can be engineered to be opened by a child's touch, ...
Yeah, but try that with a safe that isn't level.

Our cars are never really level.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gaara

The doors don't feel THAT heavy to me. Nissan is required to meet side impact regulations which are more stringent than they used to be. If you want light, buy a Lotus Elise. Of course, a Lotus Elise would probably disintegrate in an crash.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The new C6 vette's door felt very light and easy to open. They may be a little lighter since the skins are fiberglass instead of metal.

Hinge design does not have much to do with affecting how heavy the door 'feels'. It is cantilevered off of the hinges and if you are pulling on the outside door handle you have a long moment arm. The resistance in the door stops may add to the heaviness. I think the doors have steel beams in them for impact protection.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:10 PM
The G does have heavy doors that are a pain if the car isnt level I've had to throw it open a few times and sometimes it likes to come flying back at me when I'm halfway out the car.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Just think of it as "conditioning".

Old 01-18-2005, 12:22 AM
A G would hold up better than a Corvette and a mercedes would hold up better than a G.

I think we all know what car we bought as far as doors and getting hit.

Old 01-18-2005, 01:06 AM
I'm just afraid one day I hop in the car, leave one leg hanging out of the door and as I reach for the glove box, the heavy door swings with momentum and I get a broken leg. HAHA

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 doors & Z doors