G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Question about Motordyne TDX2 loudness?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Question about Motordyne TDX2 loudness?

Ok so since Motordyne exhausts are really popular on the forum this should be an easy one right? I just ordered my TDX2 exhaust. I plan to get some HFCs, and possibly ART pipes. Just worried how strong the smell is with the ARTS, but that's another issue. Anyway.....

How much louder is the TDX2 compared to OEM assuming both setups have stock cats?

I figured I'd get a tune after the exhaust, but to save money, I'd get HFC's or ART pipes as well so I can just pay for the tune once.

If I went this route, how much louder would it make the exhaust system compared to having stock cats? Is there much of a HP/TQ gain, because if there isn't then I'd just stay with the OEM cats. If its a lot louder, is there a way to quiet the system?

Please make comparisons to an OEM setup. That's the only setup I've ever heard in person so I can make a reference point to that as an example.

Now before someone tells me to search, I already did a search and tried to find info and looked at various setups on youtube. Majority of setups have the TDX2 with ARTS. I can't seem to find any with HFCs. Also, I'm pretty sure that most recording equipment can not capture the full audio range, therefore giving an inaccurate impression of the sound. Unfortunately I can not go to shows that have Gs. I'm probably one of the few that have a G in this country.

Thanks for your help.

Tony

Old 10-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Most exhaust systems aren't that much louder than the OE system your G came with because the restriction is in the OE cats. Once that restriction is removed it gets slightly louder. I'm very careful around law enforcement, keeping her in the lower RPMs and changing gears quickly. Install the exhaust system first Tony, then decide if you want it louder or not. You won't need a tune until you switch to HFCs....Gary

Old 10-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Received 143 Likes on 105 Posts
I love my sound w the ART pipes, that said they do smell a lil but not too bad... It is sooo freakin loud tho but a good loud. Def. makes peoples heads turn

Old 10-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the TDXV2 with ART pipes and another guy from our group has the TDXV2 with Fast Intention HFC, as for sound outside the car they sound pretty close. The loudness from the exhaust sort of eliminated the sound from his HFC. I haven't heard the v2 w/ HFC inside the car but from the outside the sound pretty much the same. Let me know if you need any more help with the decision.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:10 PM
If you enjoy fresh air and like driving with your windows down ART pipes aren't for you! I smell zero exhaust with my F.I. HFCs and it sounds better than it did when running ART pipes. This is with my authentic HKS exhaust modified with the Magnflow x-pipe...Gary

Old 10-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You'll get used to the smell.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i just got the motordyne exhaust and i have FI 300 cell cats and its loud lol. louder than my previous set up, True HKS with FI. The sound is sick tho. i love it but i kinda think its to loud sometimes but its coo

Old 10-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
http://youtu.be/yM7xGSZ8UaU

First part is the Shockwave V2 TDX with F.I. HFCs, second part is with ART pipes. ART pipes made it slightly more quiet and has a more "mellow" tone.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the same position as you DJHiro... I'm currently running the TDX2 with OEM Cats, I get loud in cabin drone from about 1.5k rpm to 2.5k rpm (maybe the AT in D has something to do with that, but tiptronic mode is fine). I'm just not too sure about outside, I think it's fine. I haven't installed my Berk HFC yet, cause I'm afraid this will make it worse.

Sorry to sorta hijack the post, but I need advice from the exhaust gurus. My intention is get Motordyne ART Pipes -> Motordyne XYZ Pipe with HFC Module -> Exotic Speed Exhaust System:
- I assume that the Resonator and HFC Modules are the same length, can anyone confirm this?
- I assume that cause of the awesomeness of ART Pipes, would it have slightly better gains than a Berk HFC and Motordyne Shockwave TDX2 Exhaust System or vice versa, between these 2 options?

Cheers!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 AM
81Gsky, here's a solution while you sit on the curb have your g/f or wife drive down the street so you can hear what your coupe sounds like. Install the BERK'S and do the same thing, the combination should put a smile on your face and you'll likely lose the droan.
Gary

Old 10-08-2012, 05:14 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the great replies.

81Sky, I can't give any advice just yet since I don't have my exhaust yet. I did not expect any drone at all from the TDX2 exhaust since that is what has been mentioned on the forum numerous times. Maybe people have a different idea of drone. I guess I will find out very shortly.

Gary, thanks again for your great advice. I was under the impression that I had to get a tune if I got the exhaust. If I don't need a tune, then I will do as you suggested and put the exhaust on, see how I like the sound, and if its bearably loud, then I will stay with it. Otherwise, I will purchase a HFC option and get the tune thereafter. Honesty, I really thought I would need a tune after the exhaust so this piece of info was very helpful.

There is one option that I see no one mentioned. Fast Intentions (F.I) seems to the the recommended HFC since Berks are having some issues as of lately. Does anyone know about the F.I. Resonated HFCs? I would think with a resonator that this could help with the sound not being so loud right? With this said, despite the F.I. resonated HFC having resonators, it would still be louder than the TDX2 exhaust with OEM cats right? If so, how much?

Thanks again for all your help. This thread has been very helpful thus far.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 AM
Hey Gary, in your comment to 81sky....how would he lose the drone by adding the Berk HFC? I'm assuming just about any recommended HFC would work in your example, but if its Berk specifically, please explain, and as to why overall it would help with the drone.

And, it sounds like I will stay away from ART pipes. If they really are that loud, then maybe its better to avoid them and not get the smell all together.

Is there much of a gain with the TDX2 exhaust in hp/tq while still retaining the OEM cats and not getting a tune?

Thank again.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by djhiro
Hey Gary, in your comment to 81sky....how would he lose the drone by adding the Berk HFC? I'm assuming just about any recommended HFC would work in your example, but if its Berk specifically, please explain, and as to why overall it would help with the drone. Thank again.
Most of the restriction in your exhaust system is in those OE cats. If you look at them off the car you'd wonder how anything ever got thru em. Once you've changed the configuration of your exhaust (more open) with the OE cats there's a possibility of having some drone....not terrible. I don't recommend BERK's HFCs but he posted he'd already purchased em. Those were my first aftermarket cats and they lasted less than a year before failing. (something inside) I'm running F.I. cats and love the sweet sound they make with my authentic HKS exhaust. Zero drone and not even noticeable at highway speeds until you jam the throttle....Gary

Last edited by gary c; 10-08-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
ART pipes are quieter then HFCs and TPs. If loudness is an issue or drone. ART pipes would be the better option. Thats what I got from searching..

Old 10-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank y'all for the advice, I'm just wanting to know which of the two options "Berk HFCs & MD TDX2 Exhaust" or "MD ART Pipes, MD XYZ with HFC Module & Exotic Speed R1-T Exhaust" will have better gain and I guess there differences here are the location of HFC and Single or Dual Exhaust. I've got very keen buyers for both Berk HFCs and the MD TDX2 Exhaust, since they are a rarity from where I am, so I have no problems in selling them and one of the reasons why I've been thinking of this is hearing how good the ART pipes are for gains. As mentioned, if the Berks HFCs ain't holding up then I might as well sell them still brand new and also at least if I need to replace HFC in the future, I will only replace the HFC module which is just one piece at around $250 rather than HFCs at double of that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about Motordyne TDX2 loudness?