G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Approx damage and will this be totalled?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gtbigup01
OP it sounds like you want them to say it's totaled but you're not sure lol. If it's paid for you'll get what the car was worth before the accident, but then you'll have to go car shopping and aint nuttn cheap out there. GL
Ahah totally true man, i dont even know what would be better for me. I guess total would be the better option, but I just knew that car was perfect. I think there magic number is 75%. But in any event we will see what they say. I will be sure to post the final outcome.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:26 AM
Verdict is in...Car is totalled! I guess they said there was not a "sigificant" life ending injury the car suffered such as frame or something. but there was just way to much parts needed to replace. All the under the hood components were cracked and the assesors price came to 13k in parts! He said he didnt even bother checking out the struts and axle stuff since he had to measure those and it didnt even matter since being totalled. Anyways, I guess I got to find another one now. Appreciate everyones input with this.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by TotalChump
Verdict is in...Car is totalled! I guess they said there was not a "sigificant" life ending injury the car suffered such as frame or something. but there was just way to much parts needed to replace. All the under the hood components were cracked and the assesors price came to 13k in parts! He said he didnt even bother checking out the struts and axle stuff since he had to measure those and it didnt even matter since being totalled. Anyways, I guess I got to find another one now. Appreciate everyones input with this.
Sorry this happened, but I think in the end you will be glad you got a replacement instead of a car with 'history' and all THAT entails.

Happy hunting for the new ride!

Old 11-15-2012, 02:02 AM
Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by TotalChump
So just curious, what are they giving you? If you dont mind.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Yea but it just sucks that now I got to be worried if the car I buy has been in the recent flood. I already had a dude that I was going back and forth with and twice he failed to answer my question of whether the car was in any of the recent floods. This sucks. Still don't know what they will give me.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:08 PM
So Insurance has been delayed with all the hurricane claims and stuff, but I got some email with a document and I think there initial offer is 11300, but I can send in some receipts and stuf to argue. So I may do that.
But in the meantime off to my new thread, check it out. Not sure if i should go hi mile or not

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...ml#post6630535

Old 11-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
If they total it and you have somewhere to store it or can rent a place to store it, you might be able to make some cash by buying it back from the insurance company and parting it out. I did that with a mustang when I was a teenager and made more than I originally paid for the whole intact car. I think there's enough demand for parts that you could do quite well if you have the ability to remove stuff as people want it.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:37 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by mishmosh
Yup. If the airbags went off, that usually means totalled.
how so?

When my G was T boned two of the airbags blew our and it wasn't totaled.

I did not read the entire thread, but I think it's pretty safe to say that most of the info in it is a speculation and useless.

It is completely up to you if you car is totaled or not and here is why.

Cost of the repair will determine weather your car is totaled or not. If the cost of the repairs is more than 70% of the cars value......it's totaled. And it does not matter what parts are broken and if air bags are blown or not. It's not the damage or structural safety of the car what determines if it's totaled, it's simply the cost of the repairs. Paint your car in Gold and it will be totaled if someone puts an inch long scratch on it.

So you have to ask your self a simple question.
Do I want this car totaled or not?

If you still owe money on it and payout that insurance will give you is not enough to cover the balance, in your case I would answer NO, I do not want it totaled. I want to repair it and continue driving it.

How do you avoid your car being deemed totaled?

Your repair bill obviously has to be lower than 70% of the value. In most cases you cant achieve that by getting a quote from the shop. So what you'll have to do is to find a shop that will give you a "Final estimate" cost of which will be under the set bracket.
Do disassembly and assembly work your self, source and purchase parts your self and simply take it to the shop for paint and bodywork.
As an end result, you will end up with a non totaled car and some money in your pocket for doing most of the work your self.