G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

is it necessary to resurface rotors when changing pads?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
is it necessary to resurface rotors when changing pads?

My friend goes to school at UTI and he is going to align and change my break pads for free but he told me he already passed the class where they let you resurface the rotors..i was wondering if its necessary to resurface,if it is I guess I can take them off the next day and take them to a shop to get that done
Btw I have brembos..

Old 11-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Its not required but new brake pads need a fresh surface to bed into for max performance and no noise.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Not required but if you don't your pads will wear out unevenly

Old 11-19-2012, 08:00 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
Not required but if you don't your pads will wear out unevenly
That's a pretty general statement to address an issue that really needs to be addressed on a case-by-case basis.

It depends on the condition of your existing rotors at the time of the pad replacement. Some rotors (based on their condition) should be turned on a brake lathe to even up the braking surfaces, some rotors are not technically capable of being turned since their factory runout measurements will put them out of spec if you use a brake lathe on them(as is the case with the factory-equipped Brembo rotors on some G35's), and sometimes the rotor wear is very even and uniform and it's just not necessary to lathe or replace them.... and you just slap some new pads on and go. I usually end up not having to resurface my rotors, but there have been times where the rotors on some of my older cars that I've owned were in sorry shape and I just replaced them. A lot of it depends on your driving/braking habits and the environment in which you drive.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Depends, if the rotors are running true and within specs you can get by with scuffing them with fine sandpaper to remove residue. Then do the "bed in" process after your pads are installed. (search)
Gary

Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
That's a pretty general statement to address an issue that really needs to be addressed on a case-by-case basis.

It depends on the condition of your existing rotors at the time of the pad replacement. Some rotors (based on their condition) should be turned on a brake lathe to even up the braking surfaces, some rotors are not technically capable of being turned since their factory runout measurements will put them out of spec if you use a brake lathe on them(as is the case with the factory-equipped Brembo rotors on some G35's), and sometimes the rotor wear is very even and uniform and it's just not necessary to lathe or replace them.... and you just slap some new pads on and go. I usually end up not having to resurface my rotors, but there have been times where the rotors on some of my older cars that I've owned were in sorry shape and I just replaced them. A lot of it depends on your driving/braking habits and the environment in which you drive.
Its a general answer because its a general question. Also it costs around $20 generally to resurface rotors, so it would be foolish not to take the extra precaution especially when it cones to brakes and given the cheap cost.

If there blanks generally you can resurface the rotors at least once if there under 30k. You can't resurface slotted and drilled rotors.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 PM
How do you know when u need new rotors?

Trending Topics

Old 11-19-2012, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by LxV Socal
there's a set thickness that the rotor needs to meet in order to be able resurface. Once the rotor becomes too thin you cannot resurface.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:55 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
It's not required but much better to. Also scrub and clean the crud off the brackets before lubing everything up as well.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:37 AM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by LxV Socal
The rotors have the minimum thickness stamped on the edge. Measure it with a caliper.

Also no, you don't have to turn your rotors when changing pads. Especially if you are keeping pad material the same, ie oem to oem.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I've just slapped new pads on several different vehicles and never had a problem. That's assuming they don't have significant runout problems or deep groves or anything. I think you'll be fine if they're in decent shape.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Not necessary but depending on the condition of your rotors it would be recommended.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Is there a certain type of grease/fluid I am supposed to apply to the stoptech street break pads I ordered for my brembo calipers? I am finally changing them tomorrow,my current ones are DONE.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
You don't need any fluid or anything, but clean the rotors off with some steel wool and brake cleaner to remove the factory protective coating

Old 11-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ideally...........yes! If not , then buy new ones..........IMHO!

Last edited by HereKittyKitty; 11-24-2012 at 09:58 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: is it necessary to resurface rotors when changing pads?