G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Where to buy a replacement performance engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the lead Bigc. I'll check out my350z forum for more info.

Hey Dark-Knight! I don't know if its you or not, but I saw a black G on youtube a while back. Pretty cool video in my opinion. Just wanted to give you some props

Just curious, but why would people opt for the short block only? It seems like it would make sense to get a fully built longblock if you were going to replace the engine. I have a lot of miles on my G so I'm going the longblock route, but how dependable are the stock heads and cams? How much power are they good up to? I know the block is supposedly 400hp. From Dark Knight's experience, shouldn't his force induceted engine have lasted longer than 27K miles? Hmm....again thanks for all the comments. Feel free to keep the posts coming.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^Stock heads are good to around 500+whp, only those looking for big numbers need to worry about them. Although I probably would do everything with a high mileage motor. As far as an engine lasting, a correctly built setup with a proper tune should last a long time.

Last edited by herrschaft; 11-29-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by herrschaft
^Stock heads are good to around 500+whp, only those looking for big numbers need to worry about them. Although I probably would do everything with a high mileage motor. As far as an engine lasting, a correctly built setup with a proper tune should last a long time.
There's no way to predict how long this engine stock should withstand boost. Some guys have gotten more power but baby their cars after they get off the dyno. I drove mine pretty hard for the 2 years on boost and it was tuned with uprev at a reputable shop in AZ. The guys at Intense Power set that up, and I can't report any issues up until it blew. I did have an overheat once due to a coolant hose coming off, and may have weekened the internals. But I'm getting the engine pulled next week so I can see what actually failed. And I don't own a black G, mine is DG. I haven't put up anything on YouTube yet, maybe once I get a better camera

Old 11-29-2012, 09:59 PM
^Which is why I said "should". We're talking about built shortblocks, not stock. Obviously boosting a stock engine is a gamble.

EDIT: NM, just read your last post.

Last edited by herrschaft; 11-29-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Engine was stock. I knew I was on borrowed time but was hoping it would last a little longer so I could save up for a built block. Now its time to get serious. If what you say about the head is true then you just helped me make up my mind. Was researching to see if I really needed to upgrade my head to get to 600+ whp. I was originally going to go sleeved block and just rely on higher boost to make the power. Did you read that somewhere or have personal experience with that engine set-up?

Old 11-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by djhiro
Thanks for the lead Bigc. I'll check out my350z forum for more info.

Hey Dark-Knight! I don't know if its you or not, but I saw a black G on youtube a while back. Pretty cool video in my opinion. Just wanted to give you some props

Just curious, but why would people opt for the short block only? It seems like it would make sense to get a fully built longblock if you were going to replace the engine. I have a lot of miles on my G so I'm going the longblock route, but how dependable are the stock heads and cams? How much power are they good up to? I know the block is supposedly 400hp. From Dark Knight's experience, shouldn't his force induceted engine have lasted longer than 27K miles? Hmm....again thanks for all the comments. Feel free to keep the posts coming.
Well if you look at IPP, the stage 1 short block is good for up to 650hp while the stage 1 longblock is good for up to 600hp. Also I'm going the Vortech route and will be pushing maybe 400hp to start off with. Better deal for my needs

Old 11-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Dark-Knight
Did you read that somewhere or have personal experience with that engine set-up?
I've read that multiple times on here and on my350Z. I've been pushing 460whp for the past 2 years with stock heads, and will be in the low-mid 500's in a few weeks. If your shooting for 600whp though, you may want to upgrade. I would ask your tuner about that.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Cool. Looks like IPP has just what I need, their stage 3 longblock should get the job done. Hopefully I won't need to mess with engine hard parts anymore.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks again for all the posts. When I read the posts sometimes I read where someone says whp instead of hp so I forget they are talking about power to the wheels. If all the info here is correct so far, it looks like ImportPartsPro (IPP) is the way to go. I don't plan to go over 600Hp to the crank. I was thinking about the new GTM turn-key supercharger kits with either 500 or 550 Hp. I figure after drive train loss, I should be around 430 to 490 at the wheels (whp).

With that being said, it seem as though the stage 1 longblock from IPP should fit my needs. The only difference I see between the stage 1 block and stage 2 block is the upgraded cams. Is there any advantage to this? I know nothing about cams so would it be beneficial to for me to pay the extra $1K or so for this upgrade?

This is a bit off topic, but from what I read about the Vortech, this particular supercharger is capable of up to 404 for non rev engines and 440 for rev-up engines. This is crank (hp) so power to the wheels (whp) would be in the 300's or so. Is this the full capability of the vortech? If so, I don't see the point in going with this supercharger compared to the one from GTM. If I'm going with a built engine, I might as go with more power if possible right? I see the vortech as an option if someone were to stay with stock heads and block, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, if Dark-Knight is going with a stage 3 long block from IPP, his current vortech wouldn't give him the power gains he would desire right?

Does anyone have a link of what upgrades are necessary for increased power gains if going with supercharged engine? Not considering turbo at this point, but could change my mind if conviced otherwise.

For example:

300 Hp - stock engine, exhaust, ART or HFC, etc...
350 HP - ...........
400 HP - vortech, etc...
450 HP - HKS supercharger, fuel pump, etc....

Just an example above, but, if anyone has a link for this info....I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Old 11-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
^ The base vortech kit will give you ~350whp, but has a lot more headroom. With the 2.87 pulley, many folks on here and my350z have gotten low-mid 400 whp, and although less common, people have pushed into the upper 400s (at the wheels) with impeller upgrades and/or upgrading the blower (vortech has a bunch of different blower trims).

Skim through this thread before passing on Vortech: http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induc...-new-post.html

Old 11-30-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
No one thinks IPP's blocks are a tad expensive?

Old 11-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
I've priced out a stage 3 long block with all the bells and whistles including a core and it came out to $8900 plus shipping. How is that expensive?

Old 11-30-2012, 11:15 PM
^ Relatively speaking it is kinda expensive but so are most upgrades for this platform. But the idea of getting muscle car performance from such a sexy looking car makes it worth it to me. We could easily sink 9k into (insert V8 powered domestic) and make more HP, but then you will just be like every other muscle car owner. Guess it all comes down to what makes you happy when you step into your garage.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by djhiro
Also, if Dark-Knight is going with a stage 3 long block from IPP, his current vortech wouldn't give him the power gains he would desire right?
I'm running a single Garrett GT35R turbo. This kit is supposed to be capable of just over 600whp with all the "supporting upgrades", guessing that means fuel system, boost controller and tuning. I'm sure upgraded heads won't hurt either.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:56 AM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
I'm not here to slam other shops I haven't used... But if I were to choose one now- if I were going to trust my block anywhere (other than my local shop) I would go Dynosty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where to buy a replacement performance engine?