G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Sitting on the between G35 and Civic Si

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by driftsucky
The G is the more fun car. The Civic is the more economical car. It's really as simple as that. I don't consider the G a "luxury" car. It's just a 350Z with back seats. LOL. Well, to me it is. That said, I love mine and am extremely happy with the purchase.
I feel the same way about the G as you do. It's really a sports car like the Z. And if it weren't for the heated seats or even the branding then it wouldn't be much of a luxury car, especially considering how un-luxury-like the sport suspension is (I've never been in a non-6MT before so idk how those are). Those who believe their G is some high-end luxury car is a fool.

The low-end torque is one of the main reasons why the G would be a funner car. I mean, there's also the fact that it's RWD, etc., etc. but I believe an Si would, as I've mentioned before, give him what he is seeking: speed (enough for a fun daily driver), handling (they do handle well), fuel efficiency, and most importantly, practicality and overall reliability. With a G you risk having to go through all of the crap that may go wrong with it: stereo, common suspension components wearing, windows/locks. I've personally had my differential mount bushings leak from semi-hard cornering every now and then.

This coming from a married 26-yr-old student and not a high schooler.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
So you are walking out of a movie theater to YOUR car in the parking lot...

OR

Which would put a bigger smile on your face?

The following users liked this post:
Jg35skyline (01-10-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Received 172 Likes on 135 Posts
please tell me this is a joke right?

Jg35skyline (01-10-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 12:06 AM
^ lol.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:05 AM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Yeah. With gap like that I'd choose the civic every time.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:31 AM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
He is looking for a stock car fkers.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 AM
Did you guys completely ignore the OP's posts or something? He's just looking for a damn practical daily driver that is somewhat decent on gas, not a car for speed. The Si is also likely to burn less oil and is much less likely to potentially have an oil consumption problem. And he'd probably be able to find an Si with much fewer miles than the G since even the last body style ended just like a year or two ago.

OP, you need to specify whether you're planning on getting a coupe or a sedan for either car.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:45 AM
non revups don't have oil consumption problems, the ONLY thing that the civic has that is better is the gas milage.

SOURCE: I have a 04 with 107k still running like a mothafukin champ.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:24 AM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
It's not really that unheard of my man. You want the picture I have of pulling 31.5 mpg after a reset and 15 minutes on the highway at 65? This is off the OEM nav. I would routinely pull ~27.0 mpg at 75-80 mph and up to ~28.3 if I drove a bit slower. I would take the trip every weekend and reset the nav mpg once I hit the 90 mile stretch of freeway. I would be happy to give you a video or more pics if my car was functioning properly...

Intake mods were:
MREV2
5/16th Spacer
Aramid Gasket
Chaos Engineering Throttle Body Spacer
Z-Tube
Stock exhaust
Amsoil 5W-30

I put my TDX2 on and noticed a drop to 25, but it's hard to tell if that was due the problem(Suspected VTC pulley) or the exhaust since they both happened around the same time. This is in a 6MT as well so I'd be at a lower RPM than a 5AT(I think). I was still only burning only under 1/5th a tank of gas on a 95 mile trip.
Nav mpg is as accurate as as...nothing. My buddies altima reports consistently 25 mpg, but he gets close to 600 miles out of a tank. My mom's malibu reports avg of 60mpg and gets close to 35. Also at 75 mph im at 3k rpm in a 5AT, all of my maintenance is up to date.. and I have a good filter(apexi), a ztube as well, no spacer/gasket/mrev(not needed on 5AT) and I pull 20mpg strong. But I don't get over 20...and I drove aggresively, granny style w/ slow slow acceleration and never got above 22. Claiming to average that much over that distance is insane. And this MPG is reported in weather between 60-100 with near 0 humidity in AZ at fairly low elevation.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by Th3R3dStar323
Anyone who would take a stock civic over a stock g35 is a idiot
With a comment like that your an idiot. The civic allows him to save money and spend in other places, maybe mods, loooks, whatever. I hate Civics but understand their reason for existance and high demand. Reliable, daily driver, with low maintenance, good mileage and a somewhat sporty-ish feel. The G on the other hand is a gas hogging heavy car, that's RWD, good looking and slow. It is by no means fast by today's standards, but it is a fun car.

Nissan dealerships also like to bend you over with no lube to fix the easiest of things, and unless you do your own maintenance you will end up paying a pretty penny in maintenance if you drive a lot, not to mention tires, and low profile tires to be exact.

I drive my car about 22k miles a year, I need a new set of tires yearly, which is close to 1k for a good set of summer tires(I live in AZ year round), suspension bushings are made of crap and die easily, and lastly nowadays since every kid can afford a 10k car(03's w/ 200k miles) you now have douchebags as well driving the car giving folks with taste a bad rep. Saw a G on pink wheels with an orange body the other day on 28's w/ a yellow grill......

So OP, choose what best suites your interest, finances, and fills that spot of fulfilment(if the Civic doesn't satisfy you, move on to another car, could even get a speed3)

And ask yourself "What can I do without?" instead of what can I get extra. Because in the end, Im happier not having 19inch wheels, navigation, or sports suspension added into the price of my car purchase as those have all been things I put on my own that I would have replaced anyways.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:49 AM

If someone is that worried about gas mileage they wouldn't be getting a SI....

The G35 is sooooo slow that it is somehow still faster than a SI lol
Why because getting a manual civic w more guts and more mpg then a G is a bad idea?

Get your priorities straight, I love the G, I hate the Civic, but it has its place. So far your comments have been based on the argument that "I am right, your wrong" format instead of bringing any valuable information to the table.

Texasscout (01-10-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 06:58 AM

I said MPG was the only thing that the civic had over the G35, did you read? Maybe you need to get your priorities straight.

You are assuming the OP is worried about MPG. If this was the case why would the OP get a SI and not a base model? Base model will get better MPG. It would only take a 5th grader to conjur up the cognitive power to think if one were inclined to get a car with good MPG they would go with the model that gets the best. That model that gets the best is the base model not the SI.

I'm right your wrong.
I'm big your small.
And there's nothing you can do about it.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Anyone who would take a stock civic over a stock g35 is a idiot
Then I'm an idiot and unashamedly so- at least given this scenario.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:47 AM
RedStar reads a single post mid-thread and assumes he knows exactly is what is going on. -_-The OP isn't just interested in gas mileage child. He wants sporty YET something that is better than his current car, and has concluded that he wants either an Si or a G. Do some actual reading before you come in here with that know-it-all attitude. It's people like you who probably scare off potential G owners because many people do feel the need belong to an online car forum for what they drive.

I'm not going to tell you to GTFO or anything because what good would that do, but at least try to contribute to the discussion in a more positive way than you are now. He came here rather than read some car and driver articles for a reason.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Hob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 350GT_
RedStar reads a single post mid-thread and assumes he knows exactly is what is going on. -_-The OP isn't just interested in gas mileage child. He wants sporty YET something that is better than his current car, and has concluded that he wants either an Si or a G. Do some actual reading before you come in here with that know-it-all attitude. It's people like you who probably scare off potential G owners because many people do feel the need belong to an online car forum for what they drive.

I'm not going to tell you to GTFO or anything because what good would that do, but at least try to contribute to the discussion in a more positive way than you are now. He came here rather than read some car and driver articles for a reason.
Much respect to you and most of you giving me legitimate feedback. Thank you!

I'm interested in the coupes for either car, four door isn't needed for the next few years. Looks wise there's no question the G looks much sleeker and at face value it's no question which car to buy. But when you go into detai,l I'm going to pay X amount how much car am I going to get (miles, condition, ect) if I buy another Si or vice versa with the G. Plus I have to consider maintenance costs, repair costs, mpg, and reliability. I'm not opposed to paying extra on any of this but the entire reasoning on me posting this was to get that information, most of which I have. At this point through my research and most of your helpful comments I'm leaning towards the G35 as the items I listed above will cost more but not extensively.

I'll be listing my Wrangler this weekend so I have some time for a little more research before I have to make my decision. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Hob; 01-10-2013 at 11:57 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sitting on the between G35 and Civic Si