G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Sitting on the between G35 and Civic Si

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Hob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sitting on the between G35 and Civic Si

I'm currently driving a Jeep Wrangler that gets 14 MPG if I baby the throttle on the highway and am thinking of switching over into one of these two cars. I do understand what forum I'm on but I wanted to get your opinions. Please keep in mind I have WILL NOT be modding either car.

I've owned an 00 Civic Si before my Jeep and it was great simple trouble free car. We also still have a 99 Civic Ex that's about to turn over to 500,000 miles on original motor and transmission with basic maintenance. I know the common perception is Honda's are for the lower of class that want the coffee can on the back but if a stock 06 / 07 Si showed me an ounce of what our first ones showed I'm having to consider it for next vehicle choice. Both will be close to the same price.

This is where my thoughts are currently...

06 / 07 Civic Si

Pros -
Great gas mileage
Great reliability
Cheap maintenance / parts
The 197 HP is enough to make me content ( I'm hoping)
Looks good stock

Cons -
No low end power
Lacking extra features of G35 (heated seats, leather, ect)
Engine less powerful

G35

Pros -
Many more features
Engine produces much more power
LOW END TORQUE
RWD
Looks good stock

Cons -
Maintenance will cost more
Gas mileage is the biggest reason I see people sell these
Longevity of the motor will not be as great as the Civic will be
Overal reliability of the all parts of this car is questioned by me ( maybe you have different thoughts?)
For the same price of the Si it will have a bit more miles

Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know how civics are but the G35's have a problem with camber wear from factory. Even though they are within factory specs they are still more on the negative side and wiil wear tires out a lot quicker. You may need to invest in front and rear camber kits. They also have very weak compression rod bushings. Other than that, I can't say anything negative about it. They drive great stock and the mileage isn't bad. Never drove a civic so can't really compare. Good luck in your choosing.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by akogan79
I don't know how civics are but the G35's have a problem with camber wear from factory. Even though they are within factory specs they are still more on the negative side and wiil wear tires out a lot quicker. You may need to invest in front and rear camber kits. They also have very weak compression rod bushings. Other than that, I can't say anything negative about it. They drive great stock and the mileage isn't bad. Never drove a civic so can't really compare. Good luck in your choosing.
I don't much about the later civics, but I do know that as the owner of a G35, you had better be prepared to put new sets of tires on the front of it every 15-25k miles. Something to keep in mind with 18 and especially 19s.

I bought my car with 88k, and put about 1000 bucks (all labor by me) for new fluids, all new front end bushings (very common on this car), the 60/90K miles maintenance, and some other misc things to bring it up to snuff. My car was definitely a fixxer upper, it only had oil changes since since it was bought new.

My recommendation is that if you want a car to pile miles on, and don't mind something high maintenance, then the G could work out.

The drivetrains don't have many major flaws, but things like power window motors, lock motors, and front end tire/bushings may leave you less than enamored.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I mean it depends on how hard you drive the car and how much of a budget you have for maintenance. Also, if it snows in your area, since you will need winter tires on a RWD car. If you're really just looking for a reliable DD with none of the aesthetics and features, get the Civic.

I still pull 27mpg highway in my G35 with the addition of a throttle body spacer, and about 17-18 around town(6MT). I don't drive like a grandma either. I think they are very reliable, and my car has none of the camber wear the above poster is talking about. I know the compression rod bushings are weak but mine are fine at 67k. I don't pay for maintenance since I do it all myself. I really wouldn't trade anything for my G, but that's because I love the amazing tq, handling, sound of the exhaust(even better with my TDX2), the comfort, luxury features, and just straight up timeless look of the car. I would probably score the civic ever so slightly higher than the G in terms of ease to maintain, but I wouldn't trade that for the all around features of the G.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I think this is more of a personal decision which involves a subcompact vs entry level mid-size luxury sedan decision. Both cars have extremely good reliability and resale ratings. Will you be ok with a subcompact? If yes, then there are others in this class that are pretty nice as well (Standard Impreza and Lancer, new Ford Focus, etc.)

Old 01-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Having had both, a 2010 Civic Si Sedan and still have my 2005 G35 sedan MT6

You didn't say what year the G was but I think you should go with the Si.

I had a BARREL full of fun with the Si as a daily driver (105.2 miles a day). It had plenty of power and it handles like a go kart on steroids. The shifter is probably the best I have EVER used. The only beef I had was with the mileage. Even using the cruise control at 70 mph, I rarely got more than 28.5 mpg. It has a good but not great sound system, we had the best factory system, but it had plenty of room and was a solid car. Sadly I had to trade for a pick up.

My G is still great, much faster and better handling (after a drop, sway bars, Tokico d-specs and sticky tires), but I still think on a VERY twisty road, the Si was more fun.

BTW: the resale on the Si was not that great. We tried to sell it for three months and only go one offer of $200 more than the Nissan dealer gave on trade.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't think that 197hp is not enough At all lol, I have ridden in a few and even driven one and I hate it compared to my g, the g really isn't bad to maintain to be honest I own two 2004 coupes and do less to them than my girls Altima or her parents accord but if you want a peppy gas saver I think the honda is definatly the way to go just my 2 cents

Old 01-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
For u.... Civic

The following users liked this post:
NjMatteSedan (01-09-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Hob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as the year goes with the G35 I'd hope I can get an 05 or 06 but not sure. My biggest concerns with the G35 are of the following

maintenance costs / replacement part costs ... I do all work myself
overal reliability ... From my readings it's pretty consistent that these G35s hold their own pretty well
gas mileage ... If I can achieve 25+ cruising 70 - 75 I'd be satisfied with that.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
Sounds like you keep your cars for the long haul. If you have had good luck with the Honda, I say get another one!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by 6mtg
I don't think that 197hp is not enough At all lol, I have ridden in a few and even driven one and I hate it compared to my g, the g really isn't bad to maintain to be honest I own two 2004 coupes and do less to them than my girls Altima or her parents accord but if you want a peppy gas saver I think the honda is definatly the way to go just my 2 cents
Is this one sentence?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by akogan79
The tire wear came from a aggressive toe in spec in the 03-05 models to give better handling at the cost of tires. The late model 05-07 models came with a revised less agressive toe in to give more tire longevity. There threads about it in the suspension sub forum.

All you need to do is use the new alignment spec and your tires will last a lot longer.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
The tire wear came from a aggressive toe in spec in the 03-05 models to give better handling at the cost of tires. The late model 05-07 models came with a revised less agressive toe in to give more tire longevity. There threads about it in the suspension sub forum.

All you need to do is use the new alignment spec and your tires will last a lot longer.
My 06 eats tires. I went to get it aligned and the guy said the camber was at factory specs. I think you may be referring to the negative camber, not toe.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 PM
i dont think nissan parts cost that much more then honda parts. I know nissan tries to promote that infiniti is a different brand, but the g35 basically shares all the mechanical parts with the 350z. You can buy all the maintaince stuff at the nissan dealership which is some times cheaper depending on your infiniti dealer marks up the prices or not.

The 8th civic will not feel much faster then your 00 si. The 8th gen civic has 197hp but also weighs 400lbs more compared to your 2000 civic.

I say get the civic if you commute more then 20miles each way to work. If less, i would get the g35.

The g35 offers more comfort and is a little faster. If tires is a issue for you, just get the oem 18" rims and get the same size tires and you can route the tires like you can in fwd. But you'll lose tire width in the rear if you do this, but you can still fit 245's all around.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by rsingerG35
My 06 eats tires. I went to get it aligned and the guy said the camber was at factory specs. I think you may be referring to the negative camber, not toe.
no i'm referring to toe. A aggressive Toe eats tires a lot faster then any camber will. I have more camber in the rears but my fronts wore out faster. I got a alignment and they said the toe in was too agressive, i changed to a 0 toe in and the front tires are wearing a lot better.

There a bunch of threads about it. Just do a search about feathering in the suspension forums.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sitting on the between G35 and Civic Si