Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
I love this thread...

Old 01-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by hologram
Nav mpg is as accurate as as...nothing. My buddies altima reports consistently 25 mpg, but he gets close to 600 miles out of a tank. My mom's malibu reports avg of 60mpg and gets close to 35. Also at 75 mph im at 3k rpm in a 5AT, all of my maintenance is up to date.. and I have a good filter(apexi), a ztube as well, no spacer/gasket/mrev(not needed on 5AT) and I pull 20mpg strong. But I don't get over 20...and I drove aggresively, granny style w/ slow slow acceleration and never got above 22. Claiming to average that much over that distance is insane. And this MPG is reported in weather between 60-100 with near 0 humidity in AZ at fairly low elevation.
Alright I'll keep that in mind. Bottom line is I make a weekend trip of 100 miles each way, along with a decent amount of city driving(40-50 miles) in between and make it home with a good amount over half a tank. She feels like she's running flawlessly and has a ton of power, I spin very hard and for well over a second when shifting 1st-2nd. Regardless of what exact MPG I'm getting, it's damn good. It's always running on Shell V-Power as well if that matters. Keep in my in 6MT which also gets inherently better gas mileage, and no, I'm not a grandma driver.

You should look into gaskets, I'd imagine that's where some of my efficiency is coming from. Motordyne Aramid Gasket SIGNIFICANTLY drops plenum temps, a lot. Mine is lukewarm even after a hard run. I'm adding header/lower runners spacers soon as well, which should drop it an additional 20 degrees or so. Also, an MREV2 would benefit you, and a spacer would benefit you as well.

Name:  April31Plot1-1.gif
Views: 169
Size:  53.7 KB

Last edited by Darkstar752; 01-10-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Hob
Much respect to you and most of you giving me legitimate feedback. Thank you!

I'm interested in the coupes for either car, four door isn't needed for the next few years. Looks wise there's no question the G looks much sleeker and at face value it's no question which car to buy. But when you go into detai,l I'm going to pay X amount how much car am I going to get (miles, condition, ect) if I buy another Si or vice versa with the G. Plus I have to consider maintenance costs, repair costs, mpg, and reliability. I'm not opposed to paying extra on any of this but the entire reasoning on me posting this was to get that information, most of which I have. At this point through my research and most of your helpful comments I'm leaning towards the G35 as the items I listed above will cost more but not extensively.

I'll be listing my Wrangler this weekend so I have some time for a little more research before I have to make my decision. Thanks everyone!
Bottom line is the G35 is going to be slightly more. Best thing to do is to figure out what transmission/year/mileage you are looking at, and then research the problems or simply ask in this thread. We would be glad to tell you all of the problems that you should look for in that model year and at what mileage.

In my opinion, the G35 is worth the slight extra expense. If you're pinching every penny, go Si. The Civic Si is somewhat close in a race, I think it only loses by a car length or two, but the G is going to be more exponentially fun to drive around, especially just in stock form compared to a stock Civic.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Hob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
Bottom line is the G35 is going to be slightly more. Best thing to do is to figure out what transmission/year/mileage you are looking at, and then research the problems or simply ask in this thread. We would be glad to tell you all of the problems that you should look for in that model year and at what mileage.

In my opinion, the G35 is worth the slight extra expense. If you're pinching every penny, go Si. The Civic Si is somewhat close in a race, I think it only loses by a car length or two, but the G is going to be more exponentially fun to drive around, especially just in stock form compared to a stock Civic.
No not pinching every penny but was more so trying to get a better idea of the expenses that come with a G35 as I didn't do that we'll enough will my last vehicle purchase.

I want a coupe 6 speed manual. As far as the year / mileage is concerned I have not done enough research to determine what I can get for my budget. I'd prefer an 05/06 for the upgraded interiors but it's not a deciding factor.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Hob
No not pinching every penny but was more so trying to get a better idea of the expenses that come with a G35 as I didn't do that we'll enough will my last vehicle purchase.

I want a coupe 6 speed manual. As far as the year / mileage is concerned I have not done enough research to determine what I can get for my budget. I'd prefer an 05/06 for the upgraded interiors but it's not a deciding factor.
You do have 2 more contenders for that price of a G/Si, you have the Gen Coupe, and VW GTi. Consider those as well for fun/practicality and lower costs of maintenance.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
Alright I'll keep that in mind. Bottom line is I make a weekend trip of 100 miles each way, along with a decent amount of city driving(40-50 miles) in between and make it home with a good amount over half a tank. She feels like she's running flawlessly and has a ton of power, I spin very hard and for well over a second when shifting 1st-2nd. Regardless of what exact MPG I'm getting, it's damn good. It's always running on Shell V-Power as well if that matters. Keep in my in 6MT which also gets inherently better gas mileage, and no, I'm not a grandma driver.

You should look into gaskets, I'd imagine that's where some of my efficiency is coming from. Motordyne Aramid Gasket SIGNIFICANTLY drops plenum temps, a lot. Mine is lukewarm even after a hard run. I'm adding header/lower runners spacers soon as well, which should drop it an additional 20 degrees or so. Also, an MREV2 would benefit you, and a spacer would benefit you as well.

Ill probably do spacer in the future to test that claim and of course for the proven power(that I will not dispute).

Are you Osiris tuned?

Old 01-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Ill probably do spacer in the future to test that claim and of course for the proven power(that I will not dispute).

Are you Osiris tuned?
Nope I will be after I get ART pipes as my intake and exhaust have all major upgrades done besides ART's and headers. I left the most restrictive part(cats) on as it will throw off my A/F ratio once I remove those with all of my other mods, and then I will get the most benefit out of the tune.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 PM
_
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Reason i sold my 35 for an 37..
Oil consumption. Every 3k miles it comes out to little as no oil every oil change.

If you do get the G35 6mt check the oil consumption.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Hob
You do have 2 more contenders for that price of a G/Si, you have the Gen Coupe, and VW GTi. Consider those as well for fun/practicality and lower costs of maintenance.
Yea I've considered quite a few others, those two in particular the Gen coupes are little higher out of my budget especially the 3.6 and the GTI are okay but I'd rather go the SI route then VW as Honda has much better reputation to myself then VW. Thanks for the other ideas though.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Just test drive both and see which one you like. The Si isn't completely problem free either. The earlier model 8th gen SI's are known to have the 3rd grind issue like some of the rsx type S's did (same engine and tranny).

Old 01-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Hob
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
Just test drive both and see which one you like. The Si isn't completely problem free either. The earlier model 8th gen SI's are known to have the 3rd grind issue like some of the rsx type S's did (same engine and tranny).
Your right. And I am considering that in my decision, thanks!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Received 172 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Then I'm an idiot and unashamedly so- at least given this scenario.
It is ok I still love you.

Originally Posted by 350GT_
RedStar reads a single post mid-thread and assumes he knows exactly is what is going on. -_-The OP isn't just interested in gas mileage child. He wants sporty YET something that is better than his current car, and has concluded that he wants either an Si or a G. Do some actual reading before you come in here with that know-it-all attitude. It's people like you who probably scare off potential G owners because many people do feel the need belong to an online car forum for what they drive.

I'm not going to tell you to GTFO or anything because what good would that do, but at least try to contribute to the discussion in a more positive way than you are now. He came here rather than read some car and driver articles for a reason.
So you won't tell me to GTFO but you will call me a child. Real critical thinking there chief.

Gas milage is the only reason one would pick the SI over a G35. You just confirmed that it isn't about the gas milage so much so why is the SI still in the conversation?? If the OP wants something better than his current car and something sporty why would you pick the lesser of the two? You just confirmed everything I have been trying to say.

Originally Posted by dukehotty
I love this thread...
You know I bring the lulz to the forums.

The following users liked this post:
Eno (01-11-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Th3R3dStar323
It is ok I still love you.

So you won't tell me to GTFO but you will call me a child. Real critical thinking there chief.

Gas milage is the only reason one would pick the SI over a G35. You just confirmed that it isn't about the gas milage so much so why is the SI still in the conversation?? If the OP wants something better than his current car and something sporty why would you pick the lesser of the two? You just confirmed everything I have been trying to say.

You know I bring the lulz to the forums.
You are a child because of your ignorant way of thinking. Not only do you not read what the OP has said but you haven't even considered his reasoning. One would get an Si because they would find it a more practical car, they wouldn't have to worry about the damn oil consumption, and would get better gas mileage (not saying it's a big difference but there is a difference). Are you incapable of reading or something? Try doing it before replying. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Received 172 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by 350GT_
You are a child because of your ignorant way of thinking. Not only do you not read what the OP has said but you haven't even considered his reasoning. One would get an Si because they would find it a more practical car, they wouldn't have to worry about the damn oil consumption, and would get better gas mileage (not saying it's a big difference but there is a difference). Are you incapable of reading or something? Try doing it before replying. Thanks.
Non Rev-Ups do not have oil consumption.

YOU said OP wasn't concerned with gas milage.

Are you incapable of reading that here on the forums?

Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Th3R3dStar323
Non Rev-Ups do not have oil consumption.

YOU said OP wasn't concerned with gas milage.

Are you incapable of reading that here on the forums?
When did I ever say that the OP wasn't concerned with gas mileage? I said that he wasn't ONLY concerned with gas mileage because he wanted something that he could have fun in as well. Learn to read before you start debating about something that someone else has said. You clearly haven't read anything on here so seriously, go back and re-read the thread.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sitting on the between G35 and Civic Si