G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Just how bad is the blind spot?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just how bad is the blind spot?

Hi,

We're looking pretty hard at the G35, and we've test driven several of them. My wife and I both are a bit concerned about the huge blind spot on the driver's side. Do you just get used to it, or does it remain a problem for as long as you drive the car? Every time we change lanes to the left, it seems like an adventure

Thanks,
bab

Old 01-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually, I must be used to it, because I don't think its that bad.

Now the 350z.....that has a really bad blind spot.

Old 01-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
blind spot isnt the problem... tha problem is that the mirrors are kinda small, and curve down on the top edges... but thats not a major problem, you get used to it in time!

i say buy it!!!

i totalled a 9-month old one and bought another one in less than 2 weeks! (see my sig below)

Old 01-26-2005, 11:05 PM
I did what I always do. Get a small convex mirror and stick it to the drivers side rear mirror. Positioning will be up to you, but it helps some.

Old 01-27-2005, 12:25 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yup, blind spots a bitch, almost sideswiped a car more then once. need to get used to turning your head.

Old 01-27-2005, 12:26 AM
what blind spot?

Old 01-27-2005, 12:29 AM
Omega Enthusiast
I usually angle my side view mirrors wide considering the rear view mirror pretty much covers the whole back window. It takes a little getting used to considering there is no overlap between the side view and rear view mirrors. Other than that, always look into your blind spots when changing lanes regardless of how the mirrors are angled....

Old 01-27-2005, 12:35 AM
Z2G
yeah, what blindspot?!?!? i've heard a few ppl complaining about the apparent blindspot "problem" dating way back when the coupe first came out. however, i see fine when i drive my coupe. i've driven in cars with huge blindspots, like my wife's honda accord coupe.

if ppl are afraid of blindspots, either buy a huge sedan with windows all around or learn how to set your side mirrors: )

Old 01-27-2005, 12:51 AM
Why would there be a blind spot? When you make a left turn or a right turn, you turn your head first. If you have a blind spot when you turn your head, maybe you're sitting to low?

Old 01-27-2005, 05:16 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm just talking about a blind spot in the mirrors, true if you turn your head you can see perfectly fine.

Old 01-27-2005, 05:23 AM
Want to see a bad blind spot, drive a RSX. The G seems to be better than most in my opinion

Old 01-27-2005, 06:38 AM
Like most sports cars there's a plus and minus. I've owned a porsche, BMW, and VW's. Point is all cars have blind spots, just use your head. I should say turn your head, multiple times. Check, Check, and Check again.

Old 01-27-2005, 08:59 AM
I have the mirrors positoned so that there is NO BLIND SPOT. If you do a google search you will see many threads on how to properly adjust your mirrors. In some vehicles blind spots are inevitable. In the G35 it is just a mirror positioning effort.

What I do is get the drivers side mirror so that when you look into the mirror you can see the door handle of the drivers door. Then adjust the mirror on the windshield so that you can see the inside right and left portions of the interior along with the ENTIRE rear window. Adjust the left mirror so that you can just see the passenger side door handle and you'll be set.

The trick is in adjusting the mirror on the front windshield. You do realize that this mirror has adjustments in the ^ (up), v (down), > (right), and < (left) directions. The up and down are just as important as the right and left.

Give it a try and report back... You should be able to see a motorcycle in your drivers side mirror AND your rear view mirror at the same time.

Old 01-27-2005, 09:13 AM
I position my side mirrors and rear view mirror so that I have no blind spot whatsoever. I never ever have to look over my left shoulder or look behind the passenger seat to see if a car is there when I change lanes.

You start off by positioning the rear view mirror to your liking. Then, you position your side view mirrors. What you want to happen is to have a car in the next lane in your view at all times without having to turn your head.

So imagine a car passing you on the left side, you see him first in the rear view mirror. When his headlights disappear from your rear view mirror, you should see his headlights in your left side view mirror (while seeing the back end of his car in the rear view mirror). When his headlights disappear from the side view mirror, you should then see the front end of his car at the corner of your eye using your peripherial vision (while seeing the back end of his car in the side view mirror). You adjust the right side view mirror in the same manner. And that's it.

I think most people were taught to adjust the side view mirrors so that they would see the side of their car, which would cause blindspots. The rear view mirror covers alot of territory, so why adjust your side mirrors to view something that you can already see in your rear view mirror? And since the rear view mirror covers alot of territory, the side view mirrors will be pointed outward away from the car, so it may take time for some people to adjust.

I've used this method for the past 11 years and I have never had an instance where I was changing lanes to have a car suddenly be in that lane already.

js.

Old 01-27-2005, 09:16 AM
You could always buy one of those tiny add-on mirrors (tiny circle) that attatches to the mirror... that just gets rid of blind spots.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Just how bad is the blind spot?