G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Getting bored of vq35de

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 02:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Getting bored of vq35de

Since im pretty much done modding my car from the exterior i've been wanting to put in hand into my motor and as my miles are getting high(Getting to 120K) I've been saving up to do a swap within the next year or so...I've gotten spanked by mustangs a few times(only ones I beat were rookie drivers LOL) and it irritates me a bit because me and my buddy,who drives a 06 mustang GT,caravan to work and he always woops me a**...So I've been doing searches and what on youtube but I was wondering if someone here who has experience with swaps can help me out a bit since I'm a fairly new driver on the road.I've heard the vq35HR was a great improvement...anyone have any thoughts? Also I think TC or SC would not be a good idea on a high mileage motor...would it? How will the DE do with a plenum spacer,z-tube,exhaust,hfc and a tune do up against a stang?

Old 02-23-2013, 03:00 AM
Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
Personally if you want to go fast the g35 is not the best platform to start off with. The engine needs alot done to it to get good gains. With the same amount of bolt on money spent you would definitely get way better gains from a EVO for example, a 4 cylinder. In the end if you got the money go ahead & SC/TC it or just get a mustang if thats your thing.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:05 AM
Originally Posted by BowWizzel
Personally if you want to go fast the g35 is not the best platform to start off with. The engine needs alot done to it to get good gains. With the same amount of bolt on money spent you would definitely ge9t way better gains from a EVO for example, a 4 cylinder. In the end if you got the money go ahead & SC/TC it or just get a mustang if thats your thing.
I can't even dream of letting go of my g35 Sometimes I peek my head into the garage just to look at it lol if I were to ever have to get another car it would have to be a supra which will not happen since the 2jz fits in the G.

Last edited by LxV Socal; 02-23-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Sc/turbo would be better imo. Unless you have a lot of things to make a swap more realistic/easier, I wouldn't bother. If you are really looking to make your car significantly faster sc/turbo is the only real option and as part of that you can rebuild your engine to better withstand the additional power. Expect costs in the mid-high thousands of dollars though. If you aren't willing to sink that kind of money in don't bother.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Don't worry about the mustang. If you want to go fast buy a motorcycle. I've had a 2jzgte sc300 which was pretty nice n quick but just something about these g'z that's just more pleasant to drive. Luxury sports car. Good luck!

Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
I say get some bolt ons and SC the G. Miles really dont mean anything if you take care of your car.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by BowWizzel
Personally if you want to go fast the g35 is not the best platform to start off with. The engine needs alot done to it to get good gains. With the same amount of bolt on money spent you would definitely get way better gains from a EVO for example, a 4 cylinder. In the end if you got the money go ahead & SC/TC it or just get a mustang if thats your thing.
I agree. Too much $ for these cars to go fast.

Most coupes are worth 9-15 these days, just take another 10K and imagine what that could buy:
  • g37
  • c5 zo6
  • e46 m3
  • cts v
  • mustang gt (not sure what 5.0 prices are these days)
  • STI etc etc etc

I'd rather buy something fast to start with, that way you can at least get some of you money back if you want to sell. IMO, a heavily modded car is worse than stock one when it comes to buying. I have no idea who, how, and where the mods happened. Stock = OEM goodness for someone else to molest.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Xet
Sc/turbo would be better imo. Unless you have a lot of things to make a swap more realistic/easier, I wouldni't bother. If you are really looking to make your coar significantly faster sc/turbo is the only real option and as part of that you can rebuild your engine to better withstand the additional power. Expect costs in the mid-high thousands of dollars though. If you aren't willing to sink that kind of money in don't bother.
I could have chose those cars but in my eyes the g35 is top notch just by the way it looks.about how much $$ are we talking? I'm willing to put money as long as my dream car spanks most cars on the road.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by LxV Socal
I could have chose those cars but in my eyes the g35 is top notch just by the way it looks.about how much $$ are we talking? I'm willing to put money as long as my dream car spanks most cars on the road.
Depends on what kind of power you're looking for, how much you can do yourself, where/what prices you get the parts at, and how "well done" you want the build to be. Check around the FI section (more so on my350z since that's where the real knowledge is), but my rough guess would be like 6-10k++ the way I would personally want it done. (Of course can be a lot cheaper if you are able to do a lot of the work yourself or you have good hookups)

Old 02-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Always gonna be someone faster. TC/SC if you want more power, but I feel like not matter how much power, you're gonna get used to it sooner or later and want more... never ending cycle.

The following users liked this post:
thepro78 (03-01-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Built long block the right way with all new timing components: $5.5k-6k
Boosted Performance turbo kit or vortech: $5k
Install and tuning: $2k
TOTAL MOD COST: $12.5k-13k

Value of your 2004 vq35de with 120kmiles: $11k

My opinion of your thought process: beathorse

Old 02-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ummm. Get an 8 cylinder direct injection. > 420 hp...

Last edited by g35dalf; 02-23-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I have to agree Faiz, way too much money to throw into this car to make it hang with the new Mustangs. I say just enjoy it the way it is, that's what I'm doing. I mean, you could do the little bolt ons and do a full exhaust if you want it to sound a little different but I wouldn't push it too much, unless you're ready to spend $8-12K. Who knows what's going to break after you spend all that money too!

Old 02-23-2013, 05:23 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I do know that there are kits to swap a GM LS series motor into the G. I have dreamed of it. The mechanics don't look that hard, it's getting the ECM and the rest of the electrical system to talk to the G that 's the problem. I do know there is a thread here of a 350Z that did a swap. Sounds just awesome.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I personally understand that if you love your car then you love the car. Buying something faster is just out of the question. A local shop here in Portland has put a Honda V6 into an S2000, and another shop did a V6 into a 94 Civic hatchback. If you want to stick with your car and have the money to spend then go for it man. You could even go to a good shop and just ask them: "What can I do to make this thing faster?" and BAM you have automotive designers going to work to turn your car into a beast. That's just how I look at things. But I get what these guys are saying too; 10K into the motor to make it as fast as something else in the same class? (M3 comes to mind) You just gotta choose a route for yourself and what you feel is "worth it".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Getting bored of vq35de