G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Getting bored of vq35de

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 AM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by LxV Socal
Since im pretty much done modding my car from the exterior i've been wanting to put in hand into my motor and as my miles are getting high(Getting to 120K) I've been saving up to do a swap within the next year or so...I've gotten spanked by mustangs a few times(only ones I beat were rookie drivers LOL) and it irritates me a bit because me and my buddy,who drives a 06 mustang GT,caravan to work and he always woops me a**...So I've been doing searches and what on youtube but I was wondering if someone here who has experience with swaps can help me out a bit since I'm a fairly new driver on the road.I've heard the vq35HR was a great improvement...anyone have any thoughts? Also I think TC or SC would not be a good idea on a high mileage motor...would it? How will the DE do with a plenum spacer,z-tube,exhaust,hfc and a tune do up against a stang?
I don't want to be "that guy" but I can't help but notice a few things about your post and the subject matter. First of all you're talking about street racing with your "buddy" to work... next you're talking about being a "fairly new driver on the road." I think you should smarten up.

Then you're talking turbo and motor swaps because you don't like having your @ss handed to you by a mustang. Idiotic.

If you're going to save money for something how about you save it up for your prom.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Eno
I don't want to be "that guy" but I can't help but notice a few things about your post and the subject matter. First of all you're talking about street racing with your "buddy" to work... next you're talking about being a "fairly new driver on the road." I think you should smarten up.

Then you're talking turbo and motor swaps because you don't like having your @ss handed to you by a mustang. Idiotic.

If you're going to save money for something how about you save it up for your prom.
Thanks for all the info,this has to be the most informative post i've ever seen.
I don't understand why people post things totally irrelevant to the question,straight up answer it or don't post anything please.

Anyways...I appreciate all the feedback from the others but I'll probably be getting myself a bike next summer

Last edited by LxV Socal; 02-28-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:32 AM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Street Racing is generally condoned on this forum, well it use to be. G/Z's have become very cheap and are slowly becoming the new civic. So thats what ENO's point is.

Back on topic, based on the response so far to this thread is from people who have not FI there VQ. You can expect to spend 15-20K easily to properly FI the VQ.

Mileage on a VQ engine is irrelevant, compression check/leak down test will provide the true health of engine.

If your not mechanically inciled do not FI unless you have deep pockets to spend maintaining your car.

If you try to cut corners, it will come back and leave you in a bad situation. A general rule from my old days of Drag Racing was the cheapest part was the next to break.

Alternative is to do a LS swap, kits are available and will be reliable, relatively cheap to maintain. If were to start over again LS swap would have been the choice.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It doesn't take 15 to 20 to boost a vq lol

I bought a procharger for 2000.00 local
Injectors ran me about 450.00
255 pump 100.00
Osiris tune 900.00
Oh and my mechanic charged me 500.00

You can get a turbo kit for 2k as well the turbonectics kit I would
Get a turbo from another company though I had that kit and sold
It for the supercharger

Old 02-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
As long as you do the maintenance. This car's bushings are not the strongest, they really need replacing at 100-150k in most cases. I plan to keep mine another ten years at least.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 AM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by buffhulk
It doesn't take 15 to 20 to boost a vq lol

I bought a procharger for 2000.00 local
Injectors ran me about 450.00
255 pump 100.00
Osiris tune 900.00
Oh and my mechanic charged me 500.00

You can get a turbo kit for 2k as well the turbonectics kit I would
Get a turbo from another company though I had that kit and sold
It for the supercharger
What about dyno Tuning Costs ?

Cooling System Mods ?

Oil Coolers ?

Drivetrain Upgrades ?

What you have is a marginal approach to FI. Procharger systems are cheap because most people use Vortech or Stillen for SC choice.

Buying a bunch of used parts is a crap shoot, My advice was based on RELIABLE approach. Pay me now or pay me later.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
I don't understand why people post things totally irrelevant to the question,straight up answer it or don't post anything please.
No thanks...

Old 02-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by HotRodG35
What about dyno Tuning Costs ?

Cooling System Mods ?

Oil Coolers ?

Drivetrain Upgrades ?

What you have is a marginal approach to FI. Procharger systems are cheap because most people use Vortech or Stillen for SC choice.

Buying a bunch of used parts is a crap shoot, My advice was based on RELIABLE approach. Pay me now or pay me later.
900 is total cost for Osiris and tune

Old 02-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodG35
Street Racing is generally condoned on this forum, well it use to be. G/Z's have become very cheap and are slowly becoming the new civic. So thats what ENO's point is.
I think you mean condemned. Suprised this thread isn't locked/deleted yet.

per forum rules:
21. STREET RACING, HIGH SPEEDS or UNSAFE DRIVING
We do not condone ANY STREET RACING, HIGH SPEEDS or UNSAFE DRIVING on public roads! As such, any and all videos, pictures or discussions relating to the above will be deleted without notice.

G35Driver wholeheartedly supports "taking it to the track".
If your topic is track related, you may post it.
my 2 cents: street racing is pretty lame. It's only exciting because of all the innocent bystanders you avoid taking out. Take it to a track and realize how far you are from your car's performance envelope on the street and how little control of your car you have.

The following users liked this post:
bigc (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 01:04 PM
and maybe ati is cheaper brand then vortech but ill tell you this imo I think the bracket looks way nicer then the one that comes with the vortech one and also ive had prochargers on my old mustang back in the day and never had a single problem with it.......also I sent the supercharger it self to ati have them inspect because I didn't know what condition the supercharger was in and the customer service there is outstanding and they charged me next to nothing to change all gaskets on it and bearings......they told me the bearings were like new but we looked up the serial number and it was a model from 2003 so I said just change it all

Old 02-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Ok I should have mentioned I wanted to go FI/swap to do some back to the future type stuff right? Just to let you guys know I work across the street from the irwindale race track and take my car every thursday,thats one main reason I want to go faster.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
Guys, please keep the street racing stuff out of this thread. It is not condoned and the thread will be deleted if it continues. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by bigc
Guys, please keep the street racing stuff out of this thread. It is not condoned and the thread will be deleted if it continues. Thanks.
Lock this thread please I got the info I needed.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You can make the car go as fast as you can afford to. I know it's been said before but it's a simple answer to a complex question.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
Lock this thread please I got the info I needed.
FYI, the creator of a thread is generally able to lock their own thread. Click the 'Thread Tools' menu towards the top of the page.