G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

**G35 Coupe holds its Value**

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Z06ified
Yeah, the depreciation is so low on these cars, that I'm thinking of buying mine at the end of its 2 year lease in June. According to KBB, my car is worth about $30k now, yet my fixed end of lease buyout price is $21k in my contract. Somehow I don't see my car depreciating $9k in 5 months, so I'll probably buy it even if I choose to sell it soon after.

It'll help me recover some of the high lease payments I've made. I knew it would work out in the end.
The reason for your situation could be a result of the bank under depreciating your car. They may have figured your car would be worth 50% after 3 years when in fact it is above 60%. I got a 60% residual on 39 months, which will be about right, if the car is worth higher than that after 39 months it would be wise of me to buy it if i like it.

Old 01-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats VPP?

Old 01-27-2005, 09:56 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pointman1
too bad it isnt true. ive owned mine for 4 months and i tried to trade it in with 4k on it... and i got offered 10k less than what i paid for it.
Keep shopping bro. There's always someone who wants to 'steel' your ride Don't forget they're going to offer you at least $5k less than they will list it for.

Old 01-27-2005, 10:01 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
MERGED THREADS OF SAME SUBJECT

Old 01-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by gsedanman
Keep shopping bro. There's always someone who wants to 'steel' your ride Don't forget they're going to offer you at least $5k less than they will list it for.
Haha, thanks for the vote of confidence but i think i am just going to keep it.

Old 01-27-2005, 10:11 PM
haha, whoops. at least they moved my post in with this one. sorry

jeremy

Old 01-28-2005, 04:04 AM
Haha, thanks for the vote of confidence but i think i am just going to keep it.
Exactly. Why would they buy your car for MSRP less $5000 when they can just buy a new one from the mfr for hardly any more? It's the private buyers that can't buy wholesale that you want sell to. The problem with them is they are faced with pricey bank financing on your car vs. attractive Nissan lease rates on a new one. Moral of the story: don't buy a new car unless you plan to keep it at least a year or two or don't mind taking a bath.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:53 PM
exactly nothing. I was jsut stating what happened. i have bought and sold cars in the past at the same quick interval and did not take such a hit.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:07 PM
MyG37 Administrator

Expert Review

Nissan's upscale Infiniti division surely has a winner with its rakish new four-seat G35 Sport Coupe.

It would be hard for this 2003 coupe to go wrong because it combines features of the hot new Nissan 350Z sports car and the exciting Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan, which arrived last spring as an early 2003 model.

Some Infiniti spokespersons compare the fast, agile G35 coupe directly with the 350Z, saying it's basically a larger version of the long-awaited "Z" with smoother styling and more room and luxury.

But the G35 coupe also can be called a sportier version of luxurious G35 sedan, which is a competitor to Acura, Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz sports sedans—pretty heady company.

Keeping Prices Down
Parts sharing among the three models holds down production costs—and thus allows attractive pricing. There probably would be no G35 coupe without the other two Nissan/Infiniti models.

The two-seat 350Z is a pure sports car and is much shorter than the G35 coupe. That coupe is more comfortable than the 350Z, but is a genuine sports car. After all, its chief engineer was heavily involved with various Nissan racing programs.

The G35 coupe gets away with seating four despite its killer good looks because it has a longer wheelbase and longer length than the 350Z—and is about three inches taller. However, the coupe's rear-seat area doesn't have enough head room for 6-footers. The G35 sedan has a much more spacious rear seat.

The G35 coupe and sedan have lots of weight-adding comfort and convenience equipment, but it's surprising that the coupe is 80 pounds heavier than the larger sedan, at 3,416 pounds.

Trim Exterior
The coupe has trim exterior dimensions. It's 4.3 inches shorter than the G35 sedan, but shares a rear-wheel-drive platform and fairly long 112.2-inch wheelbase with the sedan. The rear-drive 350Z has only a 104.3-inch wheelbase.

All three trims share 6-speed manual and 5-speed automatic transmissions, along with brakes, suspension architecture and a potent 3.5-liter V6 with various power ratings.

The V6 produces 287 horsepower in the 350Z and 280 horsepower in the G35 coupe. Both offer manual or automatic transmissions. The G35 sedan has a 260-horsepower version of the V6, partly because of a more restrictive exhaust system, and comes only with the automatic. However, it will get an available manual gearbox next spring.

Luxury Emphasized
Infiniti emphasizes luxury with the G35 coupe and says most buyers will want it with an automatic transmission because they will consider the coupe more of a luxury car than a sports car.

That's why the coupe has an interior similar to the one in the posh G35 sedan, right down to the classy looking analog dashboard clock. And that's also why the $32,050 manual-transmission G35 coupe costs more than the automatic transmission trims. Those trims are the $29,100 base coupe and $31,400 version with a leather interior, which also is in the manual transmission trim.

Manual Gearbox Fun
But the G35 coupe is more fun to drive with the manual gearbox, which calls for some muscle to shift but has a delightfully short throw.

Despite the coupe's power, a downshift to third gear is necessary with the manual gearbox for the quickest 65-75 mph passing time. However, that transmission works nicely with the sophisticated engine, which loafs at 2700 rpm at 75 mph.

But there's really no need to do much shifting during most driving because the engine kicks out lots of torque. The G35 coupe hits 60 mph in 6 seconds with the manual transmission, give or take a few tenths of a second.

Fuel economy is decent for such a car. The smooth, dual-overhead-camshaft engine provides mpg figures in the high teens in the city and mid-20s on highways with either manual or automatic transmissions.

Lots of Equipment
The G35 coupe has plenty of standard equipment. That's to be expected with a model from Infiniti, which is getting more aggressive in competing with the Japanese Acura and Lexus luxury vehicle divisions. Standard items include air conditioning, cruise control, AM/FM/CD and power windows and locks.

Options include a sunroof, navigation system and upscale sound system. There also are an optional rear spoiler and lower body fairings that make the car a little more aerodynamic.

Safety Items
Upscale cars are becoming heavily equipped with safety features, and the G35 coupe is no exception. It has such safety items as front torso airbags and side curtain airbags for front and rear occupants. There also are anti-lock brakes with a brake assist feature that helps apply the correct pressure in panic stops.

Despite its larger size and extra seats, the G35 coupe has nearly the same superb handling and unerring directional stability of the 350Z, with an all independent suspension and wide stance. The coupe's longer wheelbase actually makes it more stable than the 350Z when pushed hard.

Best Roadability
The best roadability is provided by the manual-transmission trim. It has high-performance Brembo brakes, which usually are on exotic sports cars, and wider tires on large 18-inch alloy wheels. Other coupe models have 17-inch standard wheels and higher-profile tires.

All G35 coupes have a supple ride, but the ride is slightly stiffer with those bigger wheels and lower-profile tires, which are optional for the mid-range "leather" trim.

All G35 coupe trims also have standard anti-skid and traction control systems to help keep owners out of trouble in a car that invites hard driving.

The quick, precise steering isn't too light at highways speeds, as is the case with BMW 3-Series steering. Braking is strong, controlled with a rather soft but easily modulated pedal.

Long, Heavy Doors
Tight parking spots are a problem because long, heavy doors make it difficult—sometimes impossible—to get in and out. However, the large outside door handles are easily gripped. The quiet interior has high quality materials, easily read gauges and very supportive front seats that glide forward electrically to provide access to the rear-seat area.

But cupholders are set too far back on the console and the seatbelts call for body contortions to reach. Power seat controls are awkwardly placed on the console and are especially hard to find in the dark. Dashboard radio controls could be easier to use, and the hood is held open by an old-fashioned prop rod.

High Trunk Opening
While long, the trunk is rather shallow and has a high, awkwardly shaped opening. However, rear seatbacks flip forward to enlarge the cargo area.

Here is another sexy foreign car that has no direct competition from an American automaker. No wonder domestic car producers are losing market share.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:19 PM
exactly nothing. I was jsut stating what happened. i have bought and sold cars in the past at the same quick interval and did not take such a hit.
Yeah, but each situation is different. If you were to trade the car in on some overpriced but less popular car (eg a Cadillac, Ford, or Volvo), then you will get offered more. If you try to trade it in on a Lexus, Acura, G35c or a new M45, you will take a bath. Those companies sell their cars much closer to MSRP than the domestics, and thus don't have as much room to screw money out of you on the sale price.

For example: If you told me that you had an 04 Acura TSX and were trading it in on a Taurus, Ford might just give you what you paid for the Acura if you are stupid enough to pay close to MSRP on the Taurus. They would still be screwing you for just as much as if you were to trade the TSX for a new TL receiving $4K less on the TSX at Acura than at Ford.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by skross
Yeah, but each situation is different. If you were to trade the car in on some overpriced but less popular car (eg a Cadillac, Ford, or Volvo), then you will get offered more. If you try to trade it in on a Lexus, Acura, G35c or a new M45, you will take a bath. Those companies sell their cars much closer to MSRP than the domestics, and thus don't have as much room to screw money out of you on the sale price.

For example: If you told me that you had an 04 Acura TSX and were trading it in on a Taurus, Ford might just give you what you paid for the Acura if you are stupid enough to pay close to MSRP on the Taurus. They would still be screwing you for just as much as if you were to trade the TSX for a new TL receiving $4K less on the TSX at Acura than at Ford.

Great post....you're exactly right. Personally, I would never trade-in a car. You're better off selling it to a private buyer. Dealers LOVE trade-ins. It gives them twice the opportunity to screw you over.

Old 01-29-2005, 01:36 AM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
too bad it isnt true. ive owned mine for 4 months and i tried to trade it in with 4k on it... and i got offered 10k less than what i paid for it.

Yup, they tried to **** me also! My car had 16k miles at 1 yr and 3 months into my lease, i wanted to get into a coupe and out of the lease and i had to pay out the leasing company of 31k and the sticker was 37, they said we appraised your car at 22k but we can prob give you 23, i was like WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?! In a year it goes down over 10k, man it was horrible and truth is, even though they low balled me, it realy only went for 30 max even with my car lookign the way it did

Old 01-29-2005, 01:44 AM
HAHA BULLSH*T. Here's the timeline:

9/03 Purchased - MRSP 35k equating to 39K OTD.

12/04 Sold - 31k.

Miles? 15000, right? NO. F*CKEN 3700! We had it for sale for a while too. It was immaculate, but my dad just changed his mind about keeping her.