G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New Clutch/Flywheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Clutch/Flywheel?

I'm sure this has been answered over and over again, but I'm new here and after a little searching most of the threads have people asking which clutch/flywheel to get when they're planning on FI. I just sort of wanted to know which one would fit my needs best. I basically want something that will be pretty quiet (I've read a lot about noisy flywheels) and it's really only for daily driving purposes. I do want something where the clutch catches a good bit earlier than the stock clutch. I'm also not looking to spend a whole lot of money, so basically I want something quiet, catches earlier than stock, and is reliable. Thanks guys. I'm going to be needing it pretty soon, so I really just want your opinions on what would fit my needs the best. Oh, and as far as mods go, I've got a jwt pop charger and an injen dual exhaust right now, and I don't plan on doing much more than bolt-ons.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:01 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Welcome to DRIVER!

If you're not going the FI route stay with the OE clutch! Quality aftermarket clutches go for $400 plus the flywheel and they make noise....Gary

Last edited by gary c; 03-21-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:36 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Agreed^ oem is always the best way to go for non performance purposes, but if you want a little stronger clutch you could get a new stock flywheel and then a better clutch such as jwt. However replacing the clutch just to a new one will allow it to catch quicker but the way our clutch setup was designed you really wont be able to make it catch any earlier regardless of what clutch you use unless you get the clutch pedal assembly mod

Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Performance = sacrifice = noise.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:49 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Not necessarily my z1 twin disc was quiet and lighter than oem i would recommend it to anyone

Old 03-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im new to this, is the flywheel in these cars a dual mass?

Old 03-22-2013, 12:14 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you just want it to catch earlier, adjust the clutch.

Loosen the 12mm lock nut. Thread the rod into the fork to make it effectively shorter. Don't overdo it, 1 or 2 turns is plenty. Any more and the assembly can bind and the clutch may not return fully. Also if you have it threaded down too far, you can be constantly applying pressure to the plunger... same idea as riding the clutch. Not good for it.

Or you can try just sticking one of those sticky things you put on the legs of furniture onto the clutch stop.

If that's still not to your liking, try this:
http://www.rjmperformance.com/

Old 03-22-2013, 01:52 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a JWT clutch setup for sale with 2k miles on it that needs $30 worth of work to re-attach ring gear at a machine shop. comes with flywheel, pressure plate, new throw out bearing, and new steel clutch line. selling for $350 shipped, which is a pretty crazy price! Text me at 816-699-3038 need to sell asap

Old 03-22-2013, 01:53 AM
He's looking for a quiet setup for daily driving. The JWT does chatter, and not everybody likes a lightweight flywheel.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:03 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
He also said he would like increased performance. and JWT is the most affordable way to do that if he's staying n/a. the chatter isn't even that bad... the g35 guys are just a little sensitive lol

Old 03-22-2013, 02:12 AM
Originally Posted by OneOfaKindTrini
Im new to this, is the flywheel in these cars a dual mass?
Yes, the flywheel is dual mass, and quite heavy at that.

He also said he would like increased performance. and JWT is the most affordable way to do that if he's staying n/a. the chatter isn't even that bad... the g35 guys are just a little sensitive lol
Actually, he didn't. He just said "so basically I want something quiet, catches earlier than stock, and is reliable"

Given that your ring gear separated... not that reliable. After it's reattached, it should be balanced as well.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:16 PM
I got the JWT clutch installed last summer. I haven't had any problems or noise associated with it. It definitely catches quicker and more firmly than the stock clutch. When the clutch is brand new, you will have about 1/2" of play before the clutch catches, but it loosens up over time. I almost couldn't get mine out of the parking lot the first time driving with the new clutch. It took a while to get used to the tightness, but I am happy with the performance of the clutch. I also had the pivot ball replaced, since the mechanic was already taking things apart.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:28 PM
Do you guys think the noise of the jwt flywheel would annoy me? I have subs and an injen exhaust that already make everything decently loud and I don't mind it, so do you think the chatter would bother me? Also, is it really any tougher to drive with this clutch and flywheel or is it about the same as the stock. Thanks for the replies guys.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Also do you think I could run JWT clutch with a stock flywheel? Would it be much quieter or not much of a difference?

Old 03-22-2013, 04:42 PM
I don't have any advice about a lighter flywheel, but I run mine with the stock flywheel. The noise is not much different than before I changed the clutch. Either way, the JWT clutch is going to have a narrower window of engagement/disengagement than the stock. You may stall your engine a few times getting used to it, but it becomes second nature. My stock clutch lasted about 50k, and ALL the friction material was gone when i brought it in for replacement. The mechanic was surprised the car still moved. The clutch was slipping in higher gears at that point. I would not do anything different than what I have done up to this point regarding the JWT clutch (with stock flywheel)