G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clutch pedal issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch pedal issues

Hi guys, Ive been having some strange issues with my clutch pressure. The problem is the the symptoms are the exact opposite from the normal symptoms you get with a squishy/low pedal travel.

When my car has sat over night and I start it the next day I have next to zero pedal travel. I can barely get into gear and sometimes I actually can't get into gear. When the car warms up and the fluid has a chance to warm up the pedal travel actually improves and shifting becomes easier to the point of being normal again. This is the complete opposite of what traditionally happens where if you have air in the line the travel gets worse as it heats up. This has me confused.

It might need to be noted that I installed the RJM clutch bracket right before I encountered these issues although I don't see how it would have anything to do with my particular situation.

My immediate plan of action is going to be bleeding of the fluid but I wanted to know if anyone else has encountered this issue and if so what did you do to solve it?

I'm wondering if I might have a small pinhole somewhere that is introducing air into the system without leaking fluid or maybe a bad master cylinder?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Your spot on I would bleed first then look for a leak of any kind you can find. I haven't really dealt with out pedal assy or slave cylinder but on some cars if you pull the actuating arm for the slave too far out it will suck air not saying this is your problem but I would just check the actuator travel

Old 03-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Thanks man, yeah I'll bleed it tomorrow and see if it helps any. Hoping that's it and not some deeper issue. It's just really strange because usually when a clutch pedal goes soft it's when it gets hot because there is air in the line. Mine is doing the exact opposite.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
It may not be the cold fluid and hot fluid problem but just the car sitting for a period of time letting air settle or seep

Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 PM
That's what I'm hoping it's not lol.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:42 PM
So I tried bleeding this morning and the problem is worse. I took the slave cylinder off of the trans and it is only extending about 1/4" to 1/2" when pumping the pedal. It is also fairly erratic, meaning it will extend 1/2" then only 1/4", etc. I'm thinking it may be on it's way out.

Can anyone tell me how much "throw" the slave cylinder should have?

Thanks

Old 03-24-2013, 04:09 PM
What the F. I tried one last ditch effort. I pulled the slave and pumped the clutch until the piston was poking out from the slave casing. Then I reinstalled the slave and all is fine again....the really strange thing is that prior to this I tried bleeding with the slave uninstalled and not a drop of fluid came out.
At this point I have no idea what happened but the clutch feels great now. Im just concerned that the slave or master cylinder will give soon and leave me stranded. I guess time will tell but for now I'll take it I guess.

Any guesses as to why taking the cylinder off and pumping the pedal seemed to work and why I couldn't get any fluid out while bleeding but all is fine now? I'm completely stumped.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My guees is you messed up the adjustment when installing the pedal assy , sounds like you have the adjustment a little to tight

Old 03-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by ZSpeedPerformance
My guees is you messed up the adjustment when installing the pedal assy , sounds like you have the adjustment a little to tight
Well I did drop the fulcrum from 75% to 50% but I was still having issues. Not until I pulled the slave and pump the pedal to move the piston out filurther did I regain peddle pressure.

BTW what do you mean by adjustment too tight?