G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

cracking/popping noise in rear seat/trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1V8ADAY
I am dying to know what they find.....watching this thread is like watching my favorite tv show where they cut out at the end and leave you in suspense....lol
lol..

Update:

Just got a call from infiniti, noise is resolve and car will be ready in a couple of hours. I'll post the cause, cost, and what they did after I get the car and paperwork. Hopefully it really is resolved. lol

Old 04-19-2013, 02:13 PM
MLZ
I had the same problem. I suspected a right rear shock. The tech said no way. changed the shocks and the noise was gone. Turned out to be the right rear upper shock mount.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:42 PM
LOL

CONCLUSION:

I still don't know exactly what they did, but the car is sooooo quiet. No rattle, no pop, cracking, etc. In some way it feels like a brand new car!! And also it looks and feel very very different! I know they did a lot more than they told me they did. Well, here it is on the statement paper.

Test Drove, Found pop noise coming from sunroof pan, removed headliner, went over nuts that secure pan to roof, found 3 nuts loose, secured, road test, noise gone in sunroof, now hear pop coming from rear parcel shelf area, removed parcel shelf, tightened all bolts, road test, noise still present, road tested w/ chassis ear, found noise coming from body support rail, in front of parcel shelf, performed cold metal adjustment, road test, OK

No charge to customer. <<< Thanks God!!! lmfao

Ok, I have no idea what they are talking about. Hopefully the noise isn't going to come back in a few days. If it does, I'll repost. Maybe someone here can clear that up for others to follow so they can fix their noise. lol
I know they did a lot more than what the statement say because it was 3 days and the car looks and feel totally different. As long as I don't have to pay anything, I'm cool with it. They can charge the warranty all the money in the world they want as long as none to me. lmfao

Anyway, I hope this thread help those who have similar issues.

All you mechanic handy people here, please clear up that statement so everybody can understand. Unless it is CLEAR!! lol Thanks

Last edited by babysonny; 04-19-2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 PM
2nd Conclusion Update:

Alright, I just went for a drive and guess what the popping noise was still there, but not loud and not constant on every bump! Very low pop which isn't annoying and frequent, I can live with that. Just hope it doesn't get louder and more frequent as time progress. But I think the mechanic was in the right area of the noise. So, if anybody got the noise to complete go away doing what the mechanic did; please update!

Old 04-19-2013, 09:38 PM
07 coupe, Had the same popping noise, recently installed coilovers, haven't noticed it since. I also suspected the right rear shock,

Old 04-25-2013, 10:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
So is the consensus it is a suspension issue? My coupe is doing the same thing; sounds like a wire coat hanger bumping against a metal bar or something similar. I've thought about digging around back there but have been busy with work. If its most likely suspension I'll just wait

Old 04-26-2013, 01:32 AM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Hmm.. that coat hanger bumping sound.. would you even describe it as the muffler moving around? I have some noise coming from the rear of the car the last many weeks. I will be under the car this weekend (as long as the weather stays nice) doing belts and all the fluid changes so will poke around.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
This may sound stupid, but I had a slight knocking sound in my 06 Coupe and it turned out to be my rear seatbelts bumping against the side. I buckled them up, sound gone. Now I just wedge them next to seat cushions and only remember when one of my kids rides with me and they start bouncing around again.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm not ruling anything out. I guess I should check the muffler, though last time I was under the car everything seemed fairly secure. The sound is coming from near the rear passenger shelf speaker (at least it seems like it is). It could be echoing from anywhere else, its hard to listen and drive at the same time. I really wish I could sit in the back while someone else drives. I originally thought it may have been a loose wire from the speaker but over the past 6 months it has gotten slightly louder and more pronounced.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine does the same thing, but I always thought it was gravel or rocks flinging up into my wheel wells.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^ Same here. I wish my car still had a warranty :/

Old 05-02-2013, 02:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My car had the same popping noise. It sounded like it was coming from the passenger side c-pillar. I ended up taking apart the back half of the interior and isolated it down to where the rear sunroof drain was on the passenger side. I stuffed towels back there and it helped a little, but the noise was still there. I eventually took out the headliner and discovered exactly what that tech mentioned in the other post. Along the front of the sunroof, there is a panel housing the motor and a bunch of wiring. In my coupe, there were at least 3 of maybe 6 or 8 screws that were loose. I tightened those up and the noise has gone away. I wish I had used some Loctite on them when I had the chance. Occasionally as the body of the car twists, I'd hear something, but nothing all too bad. It's pretty amazing how noise travels through the frame cavities.

The following users liked this post:
BAAG35 (05-04-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:20 AM
06 with the same problem..

Old 05-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by overdrve
My car had the same popping noise. It sounded like it was coming from the passenger side c-pillar. I ended up taking apart the back half of the interior and isolated it down to where the rear sunroof drain was on the passenger side. I stuffed towels back there and it helped a little, but the noise was still there. I eventually took out the headliner and discovered exactly what that tech mentioned in the other post. Along the front of the sunroof, there is a panel housing the motor and a bunch of wiring. In my coupe, there were at least 3 of maybe 6 or 8 screws that were loose. I tightened those up and the noise has gone away. I wish I had used some Loctite on them when I had the chance. Occasionally as the body of the car twists, I'd hear something, but nothing all too bad. It's pretty amazing how noise travels through the frame cavities.
I've narrowed mine down to either the sunroof or the suspension. How long did it take you to remove the headliner and get to the bolts?

Old 10-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have some annoying random tap coming from my 05 coupe rear. Today I took out the ENTIRE rear interior/rear deck/ and trunk. Had someone drive my car around for literally 30 mins while i inspected the rear deck, and laid in the naked trunk and could not find anything. I have no clue where the F this sound is coming from. Almost seems like its the rear glass, and than again it seems like its deep in the trunk by the tail lights, and than it sounds like its coming just above the trunk lid. Fu*k this.

The following users liked this post:
Phenomenon9 (04-23-2016)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: cracking/popping noise in rear seat/trunk