G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

cracking/popping noise in rear seat/trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cracking/popping noise in rear seat/trunk

Hi,

First time posting. 07 g35 coupe, I know there are tons of post on this subject, but I'm not sure if any is the same as mine. I been hearing this annoying cracking/popping sound coming from behind rear seat/trunk area like someone squeezing an empty 12oz plastic water bottle and release when driving on uneven or bumpy road. Its very loud and extremely annoying. I just made an appointment with infiniti for tomorrow since I can't pinpoint the issue. I started to hear it after my last service - front compression rod bushing and rear brake change.

I'm writing this to see if anybody had the same issue and resolved or have knowledge of the problem just incase they can't pinpoint or find the issue.

I will update when i get the car back. But any input at the moment will be a great help.

Thanks!!

BTW, my car is stock, no mod!

CONCLUSION: 4/20/13

I still don't know exactly what they did, but the car is sooooo quiet. No rattle, no pop, cracking, etc. In some way it feels like a brand new car!! And also it looks and feel very very different! I know they did a lot more than they told me they did. Well, here it is on the statement paper.

Test Drove, Found pop noise coming from sunroof pan, removed headliner, went over nuts that secure pan to roof, found 3 nuts loose, secured, road test, noise gone in sunroof, now hear pop coming from rear parcel shelf area, removed parcel shelf, tightened all bolts, road test, noise still present, road tested w/ chassis ear, found noise coming from body support rail, in front of parcel shelf, performed cold metal adjustment, road test, OK

No charge to customer. <<< Thanks God!!! lmfao

Ok, I have no idea what they are talking about. Maybe someone here can clear that up for others to follow so they can fix their noise. lol
I know they did a lot more than what the statement say because it was 3 days and the car looks and feel totally different. As long as I don't have to pay anything, I'm cool with it. They can charge the warranty all the money in the world they want as long as none to me. lmfao

Anyway, I hope this thread help those who have similar issues.

All you mechanic handy people here, please clear up that statement so everybody can understand. Unless it is CLEAR!! lol Thanks

2nd Update:

Alright, I just went for a drive and guess what the popping noise was still there, but not loud and not constant on every bump! Very low pop which isn't annoying and frequent, I can live with that. Just hope it doesn't get louder and more frequent as time progress. But I think the mechanic was in the right area of the noise. So, if anybody got the noise to complete go away doing what the mechanic did; please update!

Last edited by babysonny; 04-19-2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
I got this exact same thing!?!? But only on a cold <40° day. Once driving for a while or just on a warmer day, the sound is gone

Old 04-16-2013, 07:19 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I've posted this before but will again. Not sure if the coupes are the same, but the sedans have a grey X brace behind the rear seats. Over time the bolts holding it tight can loosen and cause the same sound you're describing. The fix is relatively simple, remove the rear seat backs, tighten the bolts with a little Loctite, and put the seats back. Maybe someone can confirm or deny if the coupes have a similar brace back there.

Here's a picture of the brace in my 4 door.

Show more

The following users liked this post:
Phenomenon9 (05-18-2016)
Old 04-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I have the same sound, but mines is more of a rattle coming from the rear. I'm going to remove the rear seat over the weekend. I will post with my findings.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I've posted this before but will again. Not sure if the coupes are the same, but the sedans have a grey X brace behind the rear seats. Over time the bolts holding it tight can loosen and cause the same sound you're describing. The fix is relatively simple, remove the rear seat backs, tighten the bolts with a little Loctite, and put the seats back. Maybe someone can confirm or deny if the coupes have a similar brace back there.

Here's a picture of the brace in my 4 door.

Show more
The coupe rear seats fold down for a pass through so there isn't a brace back there like the sedan.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
I got this exact same thing!?!? But only on a cold <40° day. Once driving for a while or just on a warmer day, the sound is gone
Yes, it does get louder and more frequent as the temperature drop, but don't have to be lower than 40s. On my way home from work today it was in the 70s and I only heard the noise about 5 times, but not loud on a 30 minutes drive home on same road everyday.

Maybe it has something to do with cold temperature harden metal/plastic? This morning temperature was around 50s and on my way to work 8am, the noise was loud and constant on every bump that the rear tires hit. I'm really puzzle and i'm hoping that infiniti service has dealt with this issue before. And hoping that the noise is there when they take it for a test drive.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Blue Dream, thanks for replying, but the coupe don't have that X like the sedan. Well, as least I don't see it.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:59 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by youloze
The coupe rear seats fold down for a pass through so there isn't a brace back there like the sedan.
Originally Posted by babysonny
Blue Dream, thanks for replying, but the coupe don't have that X like the sedan. Well, as least I don't see it.
Thanks for the clarification, I forgot the coupe seats completely folded down.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:34 AM
sway bar link?

Old 04-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Update:

Drop my car off to infiniti service 8am this morning. Took a test drive with a mechanic and thanks god the popping noise was present and loud. The look on his face tells me that he hadn't dealt with this before and will be a pain in the behind. But he did confirm that it was coming from behind rear seat/trunk area. Hopefully he can isolate the problem part and fix it. Cause I really don't want to take it home, only to have the noise appear again the next day.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Update:

lol just as i thought it would be a pain in the behind. just got a call from them saying they still can't pinpoint what is causing the noise and will likely keep my car for another day or so. lol

probably didn't even take a look at my car yet and just giving me a peace of mind explanation.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Update:

lmfao, just got acouple of calls from infiniti. 1st the mechanic who did the test drive with me call and say he think that the loud popping sound is coming from the frame behind the sunroof and for them to take apart everything to look at it, will cost me about $300 labor just to take a look at it even if it's not the problem. If it is the actual cause of the problem then the faulty parts with be cover under warranty, but i still have to pay for labor!! Wow!!

So I told him, I'm not gonna pay $300 for them just to take a look, I'm just gonna deal with the annoying noise and can i pick my car up. He reply, yea, you can pick it up. So, I'm getting ready to go get my car and I get a call from the service manager, telling me that they decided to take a look without charging me because the mechanic told him that it will get worse. He will give me a call tomorrow once they take a look at it. lol wow, something don't sound right. Anyway, they got me worrying about the BILL now. Hopefully, everything will turn out ok!! cross my fingers!!

Old 04-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Update:

Just got a call from infiniti... it's not the sunroof frame!!

Now they think it's coming from the frame behind the rear seats/rear speakers!!
LMAO

this is gonna be costly!! cross my fingers!!

Old 04-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Update:

Another call from infiniti, telling me it's really weird because the popping sound travel from left to right and vise versa. Techs been working on it for 2 days and hopefully they will find and fix the noise by tomorrow he tells me. WOW!! <<<< that's all i can say

Anybody have had this experience before? Popping noise travel left to right and vise versa?

Old 04-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am dying to know what they find.....watching this thread is like watching my favorite tv show where they cut out at the end and leave you in suspense....lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: cracking/popping noise in rear seat/trunk