G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

cracking/popping noise in rear seat/trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really leaning toward the rear suspension! Since the noise have return and it's worse than before. I try all the tricks... seat belts, stuffing all suspicious areas, checking for anything that might be loose, etc. Oh well, I'm not changing suspension unless its a must. If and when I have to change suspension.. will update.. lol

Please updates if anyone did something!!! Even if it didn't work. It would save some of us a few steps.

Good luck folks!!

Old 10-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts
Have the same thing going on. My next step is replacing my end links. I believe it to be those as the last time it got bad, I removed and reset the bar and the popping went away for quite awhile. Now it's back :/ I do takes corners hard quite often so it would be overall beneficial to change them as they are extremely worn.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:57 AM
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
rear subframe bushings? mine were shot and i got a whole new subframe under warranty... mine werent making noise yet that i noticed but i told the to check out all the bushings on the car and they thought they were bad enough to replace it... car had roughly 60k miles on it

Old 10-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My sound seems to be the same as gareyc, like a coat hanger tapping against the side metal under the speakers in the trunk. I am thinking something has to be loose or something with the the rear upper shock mounting. My mechanic says that if its suspension related it will be more of a knocking louder sound. But thats the only thing I can think of, also I actually had the car jacked up on the opposite rear side for like a week (I know i'm an idiot, ended up stressing out the scissor jack and had to replace) and after that is when the noise began. Could i have stressed out the shock mounting since all the weight in the rear was sitting on this 1 shock for almost a week.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am having the same issue with my 05 sedan now, and it is very annoying! Just like you said, it occurs when I drive on an uneven or bumpy road. I don't want to deal with removing the rear seats...

Old 04-27-2016, 10:43 AM
Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts
Here this cracking and popping noise all the time from coupes and from M35 models and I know it sounds stupid but it is the rear shocks causing it. It is something with the mount that goes on top of shock and only way we have been able to fix is by replacing the rear shocks. Hope this is your noise and hope this fixes your issue brother.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by infinitidude
Here this cracking and popping noise all the time from coupes and from M35 models and I know it sounds stupid but it is the rear shocks causing it. It is something with the mount that goes on top of shock and only way we have been able to fix is by replacing the rear shocks. Hope this is your noise and hope this fixes your issue brother.
I'm not sure if it's the rear shocks. To me, it sounds like it's coming from inside the car, maybe the window or behind the rear seats. It keeps getting louder with time. I'll try to record a video and post it on here. Thank you for the reply bro!

Old 05-01-2016, 11:33 PM
I uploaded a video on YouTube. Please watch it and advise me. Thanks guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33wF...ature=youtu.be

Old 05-02-2016, 11:44 AM
From what the video sounds like I would be leaning towards the rear shocks unless for some reason one of the baffles broke loose inside the fuel tank. I have seen it on the JX models with the fuel tank doing this. The shock issue can be heard plain as day inside the car like this though.

The following users liked this post:
Phenomenon9 (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 12:10 PM
From what the video sounds like I would be leaning towards the rear shocks unless for some reason one of the baffles broke loose inside the fuel tank. I have seen it on the JX models with the fuel tank doing this. The shock issue can be heard plain as day inside the car like this though.
I was suspecting the rear shocks too, but the noise is very loud and seems like it is coming from the inside, so I was not sure. Thank you Jason! I appreciate your help brother. I am going to order 2 rear shocks and 2 shock mounts soon for $92.19. Both are KYB, which I heard is a reliable brand. Quick question, do you know how much a mechanic shop would charge to replace broth sides?

Old 05-02-2016, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Phenomenon9
I was suspecting the rear shocks too, but the noise is very loud and seems like it is coming from the inside, so I was not sure. Thank you Jason! I appreciate your help brother. I am going to order 2 rear shocks and 2 shock mounts soon for $92.19. Both are KYB, which I heard is a reliable brand. Quick question, do you know how much a mechanic shop would charge to replace broth sides?
You are welcome brother. If I had to guess I would say no more than an hour and a half labor. Just depends on the shops labor rate per hour.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:10 PM
You are welcome brother. If I had to guess I would say no more than an hour and a half labor. Just depends on the shops labor rate per hour.
Got it. Thank you again. I appreciate your help!

Old 05-16-2016, 10:29 PM
I just replaced the rear shocks (KYB) on both sides, and I can still hear the noise when I go over a bumpy road or take a turn. My mechanic removed everything in the trunk and rear, but could not figure out what it is. He said nothing is loose and everything is in place. He said he gave up...
Sigh...any suggestions?

Old 05-18-2016, 08:13 PM
Update: problem solved! The noise is gone finally! The user Blue Dream was right. This is what he said, "sedans have a grey X brace behind the rear seats. Over time the bolts holding it tight can loosen and cause the same sound you're describing. The fix is relatively simple, remove the rear seat backs, tighten the bolts with a little Loctite, and put the seats back."

Old 05-22-2016, 05:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive been having the same problem. Its coming from where my spare tire is. There are 2 plastic frame type objects that surround the tire, which are missing some nuts/washers. Went to Autozone to buy 6 of each. Tommorow Im going to a car wash to vacuum all these loose fragments down in the spare tire compartment which broke due to an car accident, then going to install the nuts in the plastic things surrounding the tire.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: cracking/popping noise in rear seat/trunk