G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

FRONT LIP installation PROBLEM...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRONT LIP installation PROBLEM...

Hi guys,

I installed my OEM front lip... and everything looks great going from left to right, but towards the right corner (where the right **** goes in (furthest right on the bumper) there's a small gap... any advice on maybe something that I can do to have it stick to the bumper underneath?

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2005, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by dennis_said
Hi guys,

I installed my OEM front lip... and everything looks great going from left to right, but towards the right corner (where the right **** goes in (furthest right on the bumper) there's a small gap... any advice on maybe something that I can do to have it stick to the bumper underneath?

Thanks!
Question for you Dennis? I just got mine as well and although not very patient, I thought I could do it on my own? Did you use the provided templates and do you turn the templates around to measure the other side? Did you also use all the fasteners, it sure seems like overkill to me, especially with the four threaded mounts?

Sorry I can't help with your gap issue, what about two sided 3m tape? I have the exact same issue with one of my splash guards.

Old 01-29-2005, 02:58 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis_said
Hi guys,

Thanks!
You have to take it off again Dennis and widen the 2 holes (side to side) in the middle of the bumper. Test fit it before tightening it again to make sure there is no gap. You probably did not center the middle hole that's why there is a gap on the other side.

Old 01-29-2005, 03:02 AM
Z2G
i'm thinking about getting the front lip spoiler too. how would you rate the difficulty in installing it yourself?

Old 01-29-2005, 03:04 AM
Originally Posted by roadracer516
Question for you Dennis? I just got mine as well and although not very patient, I thought I could do it on my own? Did you use the provided templates and do you turn the templates around to measure the other side? Did you also use all the fasteners, it sure seems like overkill to me, especially with the four threaded mounts?

Sorry I can't help with your gap issue, what about two sided 3m tape? I have the exact same issue with one of my splash guards.

You have to use the templates in order to align the lip properly. Yes you do have to turn it around to get the other side straight. I do not use the plastic fasteners simply because it's overkill and to much drilling. You have to use the threaded mounts because that would be the strongest anchor points for the lip. Then use the self tapping screw to secure the lip by the wheel well.
Goodluck.

Old 01-29-2005, 03:06 AM
Originally Posted by Z2G
i'm thinking about getting the front lip spoiler too. how would you rate the difficulty in installing it yourself?
If you haven't done it before it will take at least an hour maybe 2.

Old 01-29-2005, 10:39 AM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Few things:

- If you already finished the install, that would be a problem for you to remove it now, since you already used the double-sided tape (I assume) - that might get ripped apart when you try to pry it off the bumper.

- If you a have a gap, like someone said, you will need to widen the holes you drilled using a filer - side ways !!!

- I recommend drilling the underbody holes for the plastic fasteners and use them. These fasteners are there no so much to keep the lip in place (this is accomplished using the 4 threaded bolts), but rather keep you lip from being ripped off if it gets caught over something - this will prevent it (in some cases) from completely ripping apart, which is what happened to me....

Old 01-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Daghgh!! Haha, I would hate to redo the job... isn't there maybe some sort of adhesive that I can pump in and push the lip up against the bumper?

I think that'd be a much easier situation.... speedoholic is right... it's going to be a pain to pry it off...

Old 01-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dennis- try pinching a strip of 3M trim tape into the gap and then use a heat gun
to soften the lip (heatup a large area, not just one section) and push it against
the bumper. It should work. If not, you should take the lip off and re-do it.

Z2G- if you've never done lip installs, you might want to have it done by the dealer.
It's not difficult, just might be scrary for newbies drilling many holes into the bumper.
I don't do any pro-body work, but Ive done many lips in the past. Took me a good
1.5hours taking my time.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
dennis- try pinching a strip of 3M trim tape into the gap and then use a heat gun
to soften the lip (heatup a large area, not just one section) and push it against
the bumper. It should work. If not, you should take the lip off and re-do it.

Z2G- if you've never done lip installs, you might want to have it done by the dealer.
It's not difficult, just might be scrary for newbies drilling many holes into the bumper.
I don't do any pro-body work, but Ive done many lips in the past. Took me a good
1.5hours taking my time.
Did you do them with the car on the ground, or jacked up? Thanks

Old 01-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Did you do them with the car on the ground, or jacked up? Thanks

I jacked it up on jackstands. But if you have a low-profile ramp, you can
just use that, or even drive up on wood as long as your car is secure.

Old 01-29-2005, 12:16 PM
I jacked it up on jackstands. But if you have a low-profile ramp, you can
just use that, or even drive up on wood as long as your car is secure.
Thanks.......car is too low for ramps, already tried the low profile ones too!

Old 01-29-2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks.......car is too low for ramps, already tried the low profile ones too!

yah, our cars are pretty low.

Old 01-29-2005, 02:04 PM
yah, our cars are pretty low.
WELL.......trust me, if I can do it anyone can! I am great with the mechanics of cars, but not with this sort of thing. MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE is the key! Looks great, really not that hard and the fit is tight and perfect!

Old 01-29-2005, 02:13 PM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is why I said you'd want to drill those extra 8 holes for the plastic fasteners.... I parked over those cement blocks they have at parking lots. When I pulled in I didn't hear anything, but when I pulled out, the damn thing got caught and the lip got ripped into two marvelous pieces...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FRONT LIP installation PROBLEM...