G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Coupe Random Little Question Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Hey guys,

I recently noticed an annoying belt noise coming from the front end. I wouldn't call it a "squeal" but more like a constant chirping sound definitely belt-related. You can hear it faintly at a stop with the windows up but of course much more noticeable at idle or slow speeds with the windows down and in close proximity to walls/cars etc...(like when you order fast food and pull around to the window, it's very prominent).

Anyone experienced the sound I'm referring to or know what the cause could be? Worth going to a shop to have the belts checked or something I can DIY?

Thanks

Old 12-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,019 Likes on 937 Posts
Check your belt tension Gzus, mine squeaked like mad after initial set.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Thanks for you response. I haven't had time to really get up close under the hood and pinpoint the chirp. I've never done any belt maintenance before so please bear with me lol...you mean check the tension by pushing on it with my fingers? About how taught should the belt be? Any link to a "How To Adjust Tension..."? I'm guessing the cold weather has something to do with it from what I read on my searches.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

WHILE THE CAR IS OFF. AKA NOT RUNNING.

I have heard of a few people who attempted a tension test while the car is running... And a guy who put nos energy drink in his gas tank for octane boost.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Haha WOW...I knew not to test it while running BUT NOS Energy doesn't work like race fuel???

How much give should the belt have?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

It's a feeler thing, there's too much, not enough, and just right.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Ive blipped the throttle plate leaning over in the engine bay of my old car once while it was on the ebrake in gear. hehe

Everyone does know there is a bulb in here right? I see alot of Gs with them both or just one blown out.

Thats all..

Old 12-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

I don't understand tire stuff at all...

Can I run sedan 17's for the winter on my coupe? Thinking about swapping tires every season on a set of rims sounds horrible.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^If your calipers are stock then yes.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by JKL1031
Everyone does know there is a bulb in here right? I see alot of Gs with them both or just one blown out.

Thats all..
Yeah same here haha, I always thought maybe it just burns out really quickly or no one just cares lol
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I don't understand tire stuff at all...

Can I run sedan 17's for the winter on my coupe? Thinking about swapping tires every season on a set of rims sounds horrible.
If you don't have a BBK or OEM Brembos you should be fine. Otherwise the offsets may not be low enough to clear the brakes.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, Im a new member to the forum. I have owned my car for the last 6 years and always drived it in Auto. Been an awesome car even though Iv'e really ruined it a few times ( a few crashes, and once had the engine overheat but still drove it for a long while before noticing). Its been far slower since then, and the engine sound changed a lot ( Theres a new rumble thats much harsher and sounds weird). My question however is only slightly related to that. Ive been playing GT a lot recently, and wanted to drive my car in Tiptronic to just enjoy it more. I noticed that the car has a lot more noise and resistance when in gears as opposed to automatic. Even though I'm never actually reaching the red line ( in fact im always far from it). Is that normal? Could this be related to the engine damage ( see above?). Also finally, I noticed that in automatic it shifts much earlier so that the revs on the engine barely ever go up ( even dont reach the halfway line before the red line). Does that mean I should still shift that early, or should I keep the revs climbing till im close to the red line regardless of engine noise or any other consideration? ( Dont know what to expect because I only reved it up to the same level as automatic and then went back to automatic because of the resistance I felt :S)

Old 12-22-2013, 03:08 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
^ haha dafaq? No, but seriously, my knee jerk reaction is to laugh, but ill try to subside.

First of all, your car is broken. Never EVER run it over operating temperature ESPECIALLY on an aluminum block/heads. Obviously, however its still running, so on to your shifting: the auto tranny is made to shift at extremely conservative revs for fuel economy and to protect Infiniti from having to fix your car under warranty. They don't want to take any chances. Your car is safe to run to the redline before your torque start dropping off. That "resistance" you're feeling is most likely the normal torque build up that you get in high revs. That's called power. It's not something you normally feel in an auto (not in the same way anyhow) which is why most guys want the 6mt.You keep that tight, high rev charge up when you wanna go fast. Start a rolling launch at 3500rpm in second gear, take it up thru 6k if you wanna keep some peace of mind, shift into 3rd and do it again and see how that feels.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:25 PM
So I've got the infamous squeaky clutch pedal. Squeaks really bad when depressed AND on the release...drives me nuts. I've read the DYI Sticky about the squeaky clutch pedal fix but it entails greasing some pins. Mine sounds like a spring that needs lubing desperately. Today I was able to determine it is purely an outside the cabin squeak. I opened the door, got my head under the dash and depressed the clutch pedal by hand. I could clearly hear the noise coming from under the car.

Anyone have a clue to what I need to grease AND how to get to it? I have no hands on clutch assembly experience so I have no idea how to even get to the slave cylinder...do I have to jack the car up? Thanks guys!

Old 12-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Anyone....? Me no likey squeaky clutchy

Old 12-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by G_zus
Anyone....? Me no likey squeaky clutchy
I know you said that it was coming from outside but try throwing some grease on your clutch pedal. Mine had a bad squeak and that fixed it. It's worth a shot if you haven't tried it already.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Coupe Random Little Question Thread