G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Full Underbody Tray

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 03:59 AM
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Full Underbody Tray

Are there any companies that make full body under trays for our cars? Or at least something to cover from the back of the front under tray to the rear diff?

The reason I'm asking is because my new motordyne exhaust is just slightly lower than the stock one. I want something to go under my car to cover the exhaust.

Does anyone know if these exist?

Thanks

Old 07-01-2013, 04:14 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Negative. I dont think you'll see anything like that short of on a Koenig or a Pagani or something ridiculous like that. What are you worried about? Scraping? Corrosion? Its an exhaust... It may be pretty when you unbox it, but its going to be installed underneath the car where all the elements and road **** are.

With that said, if you are dead set on trying to "protect" your exhaust, then you will need to fab up some sort of full length tray yourself. But since the exhaust doesnt have a dedicated tunnel or anything like that to effectively seal it off from the elements, it will be impossible to keep it "like new". Its just one of those things you buy accepting that its going to get dirty and scraped here and there. Especially if you are lowered. I drag half of my exhaust across the curb coming in and out of my driveway every single day but it sounds great and thats all that matters. Just the life of an exhaust system.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:02 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Well said^^^

Old 07-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks livinglegend. I figured as much...just thought I'd ask.

Maybe I will fab one up myself. Would anyone else be interested in this piece?

Also another reason why this crossed my mind is because of the BP turbo kit that sits underneath the car. I want one but only if I can cover it with a tray for extra protection.

I'm aware that it sits high enough to not cause problems...but if I'm spending thousands of dollars on something that goes underneath my car I want to at least TRY to protect it.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Its a valid concern theres just no support for it. I cant honestly say I have heard of anyone successfully building a full underbody tray (in a non race application). or even attempting it for that matter. Another thing to take into consideration (and i mention this as I just got dont changing my oil) is the oil change. Its already a PITA to remove the under tray on our cars just to do the oil change. I cant imagine having some huge, body encompassing panel to have to remove just for basic maint under the car.

If you were dead set on protecting those things then maybe try wrapping the exhaust with header wrap or something along those lines. As far as a turbo kit, and I am just assuming that your are talking about a TT kit where the turbos are towards the bottom of the trans tunnel next to the bell housing, I wouldnt be too concerned with it. Just be concious about what you drive through. Although I think I saw someone in the marketplace Selling aluminum under-trays to replace the existing one.

Some food for thought

Old 07-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
I believe one of the vendors attempted to make an undercarriage panel a while ago but I don't recall it ever being finished.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Was it Tolboothwilley? I would probably PM him for something like that OP.

Last edited by ohfive; 07-02-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys!

I'm not dead set on getting one or making one for that matter. I just think itd be nice to keep the bottom of my car clean (it is immaculate right now) and scrape free. I understand that is pretty much impossible with a lowered car though!

Also I know about the front aluminum under tray that vendors sell on here. I wanted something to start from the BACK of that towards the rear of the car. So it would not affect oil changes whatsoever.

I'll look into toolboothwilley

Old 07-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Hmm... IMO your going to drive yourself up the wall concerning yourself with the cleanliness of the undercarriage of your car...

Old 07-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Well I am VERY OCD about my cars...

Old 07-03-2013, 05:00 AM

The aluminum underpanels rock, expecially if you're a DIY'er. They have a small panel that comes off by removing 2 bolts and allows full access to the filter and drain plug so there's no need to take off the whole panel. That in itself is worth the cost IMHO and here's my other favorite under $30 mod. A must in my book if you change your own oil and especially if you're OCD about your ride, makes clean up a snap. http://www.qwikvalve.com/?gclid=CLvi...FWVo7AodxSAAlw

Old 07-03-2013, 05:08 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
The aluminum underpanels rock, expecially if you're a DIY'er. They have a small panel that comes off by removing 2 bolts and allows full access to the filter and drain plug so there's no need to take off the whole panel. That in itself is worth the cost IMHO and here's my other favorite under $30 mod. A must in my book if you change your own oil and especially if you're OCD about your ride, makes clean up a snap. http://www.qwikvalve.com/?gclid=CLvi...FWVo7AodxSAAlw
THAT IS AWESOME. I wonder if you used that quick-valve with the factory under-tray how clean an oil change would be. I never even thought to look when I took it off, but does our factory under-tray have an access hatch for the oil drain/filter? I've always just removed the entire tray...

Old 07-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I asked toolboothwilley to make me a tray twice (polished) but he never replied so I considered the mod a waste of time/$ since my OE undertray is in great shape. Six bolts to do an oil change/filter is easy....Gary

Old 07-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Holy ****!! That's awesome, I'm gonna have to get me one of them when I get an aluminum undertray..

Old 07-04-2013, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by livinglegend
THAT IS AWESOME. I wonder if you used that quick-valve with the factory under-tray how clean an oil change would be. I never even thought to look when I took it off, but does our factory under-tray have an access hatch for the oil drain/filter? I've always just removed the entire tray...
To do an oil change with the OEM you really need to remove the whole thing which is such a pain, but you could probably get away with removing the rearmost bolts and just pull the back of the tray down since it's pretty flexible. BUT only having to remove 2 bolts makes the aluminum one worth every penny of the cost IMHO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Full Underbody Tray