Wiring the spoiler brake light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring the spoiler brake light

http://postimg.org/image/o418r0afr/

Hello G drivers,

I just installed a spoiler(aftermarket factory style) for my 2007 g35 coupe and I'm not quite sure how to wire the spoiler brake light. My car already has a third brake light above the back seats..So I'm wondering if i have to disconnected that first? There is also a wire under the trunk like the picture above. Is that where i am suppose the connect the wires from spoiler? I hope its that simple..

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:01 AM
Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
This should point you in the right direction

https://g35driver.com/forums/body-in...ml#post2564714

The following users liked this post:
Yonderosa (05-18-2020)
Old 07-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by the93owner
This should point you in the right direction

https://g35driver.com/forums/body-in...ml#post2564714
I don't quite understand his explanation as English is my second language. Is there any other links you could provide? Thanks.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You just tap into the wires of your 3rd brake light in the back window. Run your wire from the spoiler inside the trunk lid. If you pull the top trunk liner down, you can access your 3rd brake light wiring to splice into that.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:22 PM
I just had to do this, bought the car with an aftermarket non oem style spoiler and it looks like the previous owner spliced the wiring but didnt do it correctly and it wasnt working. The spoiler did not have an adapter just a red and black wire. After looking at the wiring coming off the 3rd brake light plug, I spliced into thos wires. One was a pink wire with grey dashed and a black wire with red dashes (I think, I know the pink one is correct). Spliced in some connectors just in case I ever wanted to take off the spoiler and voila, it worked. Looked really weird with the spoiler light and the 3rd brake light, so I just popped off the 3rd brake light cover (push forward then lift) and disconnected the plug. Hope this helps because I was researching this same thing last week! Good luck.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by ChiveOn
I just had to do this, bought the car with an aftermarket non oem style spoiler and it looks like the previous owner spliced the wiring but didnt do it correctly and it wasnt working. The spoiler did not have an adapter just a red and black wire. After looking at the wiring coming off the 3rd brake light plug, I spliced into thos wires. One was a pink wire with grey dashed and a black wire with red dashes (I think, I know the pink one is correct). Spliced in some connectors just in case I ever wanted to take off the spoiler and voila, it worked. Looked really weird with the spoiler light and the 3rd brake light, so I just popped off the 3rd brake light cover (push forward then lift) and disconnected the plug. Hope this helps because I was researching this same thing last week! Good luck.
Thanks! Could you tell me where i can find the wires that is coming off from the 3rd brake light? I could not find it anywhere. Do you happen to know what that wire is for? ( the one i'm holding in the picture above)

Old 07-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by brian8064
You just tap into the wires of your 3rd brake light in the back window. Run your wire from the spoiler inside the trunk lid. If you pull the top trunk liner down, you can access your 3rd brake light wiring to splice into that.

is this the correct wire? This is the only wire i see under the trunk. Thanks!
Btw, does anyone know what that connector is for?

Old 07-23-2013, 01:08 PM
To tktk88: I didnt use that connector but mine also had that and the previous owner spliced into the green and black wire from that and the spoiler wasn't working. You already have the trunk lid cover off, now take off the truck roof cover (the roof of the trunk not on the trunk lid). You will see wires going to the left side of the car. That is where I spliced in. I then ran the speaker wire I spliced with to the right and through the wire boot deal on the right side of the trunk (had to use a hanger to fish it through. When my wife gets home for lunch I will try to pop off that rear upper cover again and take some pictures of the wires I spliced into. They are the wires the run the rear brake lights I think because I disconnected the 3rd brake light harness and the spoiler still works. Hope this helps and Im not just rambling.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by ChiveOn
To tktk88: I didnt use that connector but mine also had that and the previous owner spliced into the green and black wire from that and the spoiler wasn't working. You already have the trunk lid cover off, now take off the truck roof cover (the roof of the trunk not on the trunk lid). You will see wires going to the left side of the car. That is where I spliced in. I then ran the speaker wire I spliced with to the right and through the wire boot deal on the right side of the trunk (had to use a hanger to fish it through. When my wife gets home for lunch I will try to pop off that rear upper cover again and take some pictures of the wires I spliced into. They are the wires the run the rear brake lights I think because I disconnected the 3rd brake light harness and the spoiler still works. Hope this helps and Im not just rambling.
Thank you! I really appreciate it. Can't wait to go home and try it.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Wiring the spoiler brake light-oakley-jacket-6.jpg

Spliced from the Pink wire with blue line, and red wire with black stripe and grey dashes with some speaker wire.

Wiring the spoiler brake light-oakley-jacket-2.jpg

Clearer pic of the wire colors.

Wiring the spoiler brake light-oakley-jacket-7.jpg

This is in the trunk near the trunk release harness thing. The red and black wires are coming from the non oem spoiler and connected them to the speaker wire with connectors, that way I can unhook the spoiler if I want. Then I just unplugged the harness going to the 3rd brake light cause it looked weird with all them brake lights

Hope this helps.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the pictures. It helped me a lot. The brake light works now. =)

Old 07-05-2015, 11:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the black red and gray wire power? And the pink blue and other negative?