G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

S2000 v. G35 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 01:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think G35 Coupe is one of the best choices if you want something between a sports car and a luxury car. That's why I bought one. S2000 is an all-out sports car. I love everything about it, but I needed something I can drive for 6+hours without going crazy, and also needed some room to carry my stuff around. S2k is hard to drive, so newbies will do better in G35. But if you are a good driver, you can make S2k really shine.

G35 is no slacker when it comes to performance. However, S2k will always be a better cornering machine and more fun to drive.

Do you want all-out sports car or do you want a compromise between luxury and sports? If you want a sports car, the obvious answer is S2k. If you want a compromise, then go with G35. You can't go wrong with either car, though.

Old 02-09-2005, 02:23 AM
In Search of Magic
I just did the opposite. G35 to S2K and I love the S as much as the G but for different reasons. The S is a raw sports car with little to no creature comforts and the G is a luxury/ sports car. The G is def a more comfortable everyday car. If thats your thing then go for the G otherwise stay with the S. Both are wonderful cars in their own way and really you cant compare them.

Old 02-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Cmon Son!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZeroGen
Both are excellent cars. Honda has done a great job with the 2.0L and then 2.2L with the '03 and up S2k's - design of the engine.

A friend of mine has the S2k and it's more of a "true" sports car because it does not have the VDC, TCS, driver assistance stuff of the V35 series. If you're a good driver in the S2k, it'll show when you do some spirited driving in the canyons and vice versa if you're bad. The F20 is a rev happy engine that can keep up with Ferrari's on the track, if modded correctly. The only drawback is that it lacks the TQ to overtake on the straightaways.

The VQ35DE is a torquey engine that needs little effort to get it going. It is, however, a heavy car but nonetheless a thrill to drive. The V35 has two additional seats and more luxury appointments than the S2k. If I could, I'd get a S2k but a few things I do not like are 1) only two seats, 2) digital tach, 3) convertible. From what my friend told me, the S2k gearbox has a better feel than the notchy feel of the V35.

Between the two, they are different as night and day but IMO I don't believe you'll be disappointed with the V35 series.

What is this V35 car, is it a new infiniti??

Old 02-09-2005, 11:09 AM
V35 is just the designation for the current generation Skyline GT in Japan and G35 in the US . I know the previous generations were R30 - R34. Since the engine is now a VQ I image that's where the variation for V35 came in. I heard that the next GTR will be an R35 or perhaps an R36.
http://history.jbskyline.net/

Old 02-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Gee Im Fast
The infiniti engine I'm sure could put out alot more than the 298 it does now, but for the sake of keeping it in a separate insurance bracket, they decided not to "give" it 300+.
B.S. The insurance on my 280hp G35C is much more expensive than on my 405hp Z06, with same coverage and everything. Why? Repair costs.

Nissan has a reason for not giving the VQ35 300hp, but insurance isn't one of them. If it was, I can tell you it was a wasted attempt.

As for the S2K, it is a better handling car in the hands of a skilled driver. But it is less forgiving and will bite you harder if you screw up.

Old 02-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
I don;t think that a G is quicker in a straight line than a properly driven S2K.
The 6MT G is quicker - I know, I raced an S2K with an aftermarket intake, and a carbon fiber hood, and beat him with my bone stock 6MT. I was kind of surprised actually as I thought the S2K's were faster.

To keep the story short, basically I pulled 1.5 car lengths on him from a 10 MPH roll through 2nd gear. After that he was just able to maintain the gap, but couldn't make up any ground, even with redline shifts. He stayed 1.5 car lengths back all the way up to 90, after which I shut it down, race over.

From what I could tell, the S2k just didn't have the torque to get going from a roll, whereas the broad power band of the VQ really helped despite the extra weight.

What chuckd05 wrote about them is right on. He said a 6MT could beat one too, and he's right.

Old 02-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Interesting... I pulled hard on an S2k from a stop twice when I was stock. He was 2 car lengths behind at 70 both times. But I put at least one of those carlengths on him right off the line. SO I concluded that the driver wasn't all that good. My thoughts are that if one launches from 6K, he shuld be able to edge out a G. But then again it could all depend on the driver of both cars. We'd probrably get different accounts and experiences from the s2k forums.

Old 02-09-2005, 11:56 AM
What everyone have said is on the mark. For everyday car going to the city, take the G35, the S2K is more of a fun in the sun car. The S2K is very rough on tough, unforgiving roads and the ride will make driving the S2K less fun. I think it is easier to shift on the S2K than the 350Z (same engine as G35). Aside from driving, the Honda has a brighter blue Xenon light, but not too good of a stereo. With top up, the noise is still bad and cold if stored outside. If you are buying 1 car to drive, G35 for luxury and speed. Having the S2K and 350Z sleeping in the garage at most times, luckily I don't have to decide. Besides I have a Saturn as a commuter, to those who despise those who drive those cars. Good Luck!!

Old 02-11-2005, 01:10 AM
I have a 6MT and my bro has a 00 S2K and I would have to say that if I did not have to work or run any errands the S2K would probably be my choice. His car screams and the 9 Grand redline just feels sick, it feels ungodly revving to motorcycle rpm's.

But alas life kicks in and I enjoy having all the creature comforts as well as the space to actually buy groceries and relax in the plush environment of the G as well as great solid performance so I think I have the best of both worlds because my bro and I can always exchange cars for the day if we like

Old 02-11-2005, 04:55 AM
yea thats one thing i forgot to mention, the headlights on the s2000 are out of this world, they are so bright..... People would flash their brights at me ever single day thinking i was brighting them, with the suspension so stiff every bump would make my headlights go up and down making people think i was brighting them, i would bright them back so they knew .... the 0headlights really are so seirous.....

Old 02-11-2005, 05:04 AM
apples and oranges....
by the numbers the s2000 should be a TAD quicker when driven properly but the s2k is harder to run fast and consistently...

s2k gearbox > G35... all acura,honda have amazing gearboxes, least the RSX-s and s2000 do.. infiniti just cant match it

the handling, i didnt get a chance to go crazy but the s2k should be better but the s2k is also alot less forgiving

if i could i would get s2k > G35 but the G35 for all practical reasons beats s2k. THe s2k is a PURE fun car, Both cars are amazing to look at and amazing to drive, just get the one that meets ur needs, wants the best

Old 02-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Gee Im Fast
The S2Ks gear box was hard to slide into gears at times.

Dude, first you say the G handles better than the S, then you assert that the gearbox is sub-par. (2 specific things the S2k holds hands down over almost all production cars today) I contend either you have never actually been in the DRIVER's seat of an S2000 or you really have some off the wall preferences.

I'm another with an '03 S2k and a '04 G35c, just as everyone else has said the G is a wonderful beast, lots of torque which can be nice. It's comfortable which makes long highway treks a little better. But would I want to drive it every day, hell no. It's just a little too weighty and soft for my tastes. If you like the rawness of your S2k you will most likely miss it, just a call you have to make for yourself.

Old 02-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Every magazine I've read puts the S2000's performance above the G. Even the Z. Rolling starts are not the S2000's strong points as it loses a lot of time in first gear when you can't perform a drop/clutch start from high RPM. And in one comparison test, Mario Andreeti drove the track portions and he did say to get the most out of the S2000, you must drive it like you are trying to break it.