G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

05 G35 Coupe - Looking for input on dealer inspection findings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 G35 Coupe - Looking for input on dealer inspection findings

Hello

I have an 05 G35 coupe 5AT with 122,000mi on the clock.

Brought her to the dealer today to have a bunch of regular maintainence items addressed and an inspection.

They came back with a long list of recommended repairs (as somewhat expected).
Can I get your input on a few of these? I know there is probably a lot of info about these items in the search, which I will do tonight. But looking for any quick input on a couple of questions while she is still in the shop:

Both rear axles click on acceleration. remove, clean, tighten, and lube them $240.00
- Is this a common issue? Is their price in the ballpark for this or better off taking to a local shop that usually does work for a much lower cost.

B1 camshaft position sensor is leaking $132.00
- Do I need to address this? How is their price?

Power steering rack is leaking $1761.00
- They sent me a picture (attached) of the leak and said it isn't too bad and the car will still pass inspection. But what is the general course of action with this? Remanufactured alternatives? Leave until it gets worse?

Other items they found that I will deal with on my own without the dealership:

2 rear and 1 front marker bulbs are out $101.00
Battery failed test and the battery hold down is missing $199.00
Rrear brake pads, hardware, resurface rotors $390.00
2 rear tires (goodyear eagle) $ 388.00
Alignment 99.95
Wipers damaged $39.00 (windshield is scratched and pitted)

They failed the car on the marker lamps (understandable) and windshield wipers! They are less than a year old! Maybe they were damaged with the ice this week.

I know many of you are very antidealership and not trying to start a thread to bitch about them. I knew going in, this would be a likely outcome. For certain maintanance items like tranny flush and fill I want to bring it to the dealer to make sure it is done right. Willing to pay the premium over the risk of a local shop mucking it up.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails 05 G35 Coupe - Looking for input on dealer inspection findings-steering.jpg  
Old 01-23-2014, 04:11 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I've had my G dealer serviced for 5 years and I have no complaints. I had them do a 100 point inspection when I concidered buying it and after I bought it the dealt with any deficiancies. I have no complaints. For oil changes I bring in my own oil, filters, and air cleaner. No problem. I just replaced the pads with Hawks I bought on line. I have all my records with them and from the previous owner via vin #. They do all my fluids as per maintenance schedual. I pay more per hour but I like the service and the fact that the techs are Infinity trained. It seems that your G has been neglected a bit. However, that being said, I'm retired and don't drive that often, 4,500 kms since last June. Oil change next week, Pensoil Platinum, $35 for 5 litres, Fram Platinum air filter and cabin filer. I had a tune up last year and bought everything on line from States shipped to my Wash St address. Now the Loonie has dropped but still worth it to buy some items on line. This is my experience so I guess I didn't really answer your questions. I also have my CBR1100XX serviced by a local dealer with no concerns. I'm not really a wrench type of guy so I pay to get things done. I also ride much more than I drive, so far, but both G and BlackBird are highly maintained. Good Luck

Old 01-23-2014, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
On the cam position sensor, I replaced mine thousands of miles ago with Autozone quality sensors and all is well! (50$ apiece). Tires are a great deal.

Cant really help you on the rest.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by dba4life
Hello

Brought her to the dealer today to have a bunch of regular maintainence items addressed and an inspection.

Can I get your input on a few of these? I know there is probably a lot of info about these items in the search, which I will do tonight. But looking for any quick input on a couple of questions while she is still in the shop:

Both rear axles click on acceleration. remove, clean, tighten, and lube them $240.00
- Is this a common issue? Is their price in the ballpark for this or better off taking to a local shop that usually does work for a much lower cost.

- They sent me a picture (attached) of the leak and said it isn't too bad and the car will still pass inspection. But what is the general course of action with this? Remanufactured alternatives? Leave until it gets worse?

Alignment 99.95

They failed the car on the marker lamps (understandable) and windshield wipers! They are less than a year old! Maybe they were damaged with the ice this week.

I know many of you are very antidealership and not trying to start a thread to bitch about them. I knew going in, this would be a likely outcome. For certain maintanance items like tranny flush and fill I want to bring it to the dealer to make sure it is done right. Willing to pay the premium over the risk of a local shop mucking it up.

Thanks
As far as the axles clicking, that is dead on because we charge 2 hrs.labor for that so 240 sounds right. Yes,this is a common issue as there was originally a TSB for this concern.

The leaking cam sensor for 132.00 must be to just replace the o-ring that is leaking and not the whole sensor. The oem cam sensors are normally 160 each. not counting labor.

The rack and pinion has what I would say is a common seepage. I have seen a lot of G's and FX's come in with the same little wet spot on them. Wouldn't stress too much on that.

The other items are safe to say you could handle on your own for sure. If you have any questions bro feel free to hit me up anytime

The following 2 users liked this post by infinitidude:
Blue Dream (01-23-2014), superchargedg (01-29-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 01:27 AM
Thanks Jason and others

When I get it reinspected I will have the dealer do the axles.

Read up on the cam sensors. It is on the passenger side which is the easier side. I will probably just have the local shop put in a new sensor.

So on the rack and pinion, I will just leave for now. I did have them do a flush and fill of the power steering fluid when there. Not sure if that was a good move or not. Good to hear this is "common".

They did have a good price on the tires, but I already have 4 new Goodyear GT's sitting in the garage. Got them a little while back when Sears had a good sale on them.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
U shunt have to pay for the axle click TSB. I wud just wipe the steering rack and see if it's really a leak. It looks like sealer expulsion from the plug.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by dba4life
Hello

Alignment 99.95

Thanks
Axles are common. How to on forum. Buy a new axle hub nut for each side.

My ps rack seeps too. I live with it. Not sure on cam sensor.

Light bulbs, tires, brakes, alignment: part of ownership. 100$ to replace bulbs? No way. The fronts are more difficult but DIY for sure.

These cars are IMO not the worst to work on, but do require lot of love compared to others for suspension and body parts.

I would replace as much as you can yourself and weigh options on others. 388 for two tires? Seventeens? Ninteens?

Old 01-26-2014, 11:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies and help

Going with the following approach:

- Read the DIY and it is beyond my abilities. Going to let the dealer handle this one. It was mentioned that this should be fixed due to the TSB, but everything I am finding is that once out of warranty you have to pay for it.

- Bought a new sensor and will let the local shop take care of putting it in (They usually do this stuff for me very cheap

- No action...

2 rear and 1 front marker bulbs are out $101.00 - Found the DIY and replaced the bulbs today

Battery failed test and the battery hold down is missing $199.00 - The battery is almost 3 years old. Brought it to Autozone and they tested it fine. It has given me no issues, so no action

Rear brake pads, hardware, resurface rotors $390.00 - I have the R1 concept drilled and slotted rotors. Going to let the local place resurface and bought replacement stoptech street pads.

2 rear tires (goodyear eagle) $ 388.00 - I have 4 new tires in the garage waiting to go on

Alignment 99.95 - Will do with tires

Wipers damaged $39.00 (windshield is scratched and pitted) - This must have just happened with the recent ice here in NC. A metal piece was bent and it did scratch the windshield a little. Replaced the wipers today

Old 01-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I'd leave the rack alone. Seems like minor seepage to me. Just monitor it and the fluid level.