G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Really... Really bad mpg. 12.5 mpg??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
I had an 89 v6 camaro that got 37mpg. Of course it was a 2.8L. And you're right, O2 sensors alone will not do a whole lot, but this is a collective effort, like weight relief, so let's start at the top (btw, your 16-18 city is super decent. He's talking about 12.5mpg. Not acceptable).

So, first did you mean its an OEM filter or the stock (as in original) air filter? If so, that's insane. So, an engine is an air pump you want air in and out with the most efficient and complete fuel burn possible. I would suggest getting a K&n filter, a z-tube (the stock air tube is baffled which is very inefficient because it creates a lot of turbulance), change your spark plugs, and if you're so inclined remove the resonator from your exhaust (of course that will change the sound too, so that may come later). Also, pump your tires to max psi and make sure your toe is in spec (It creates drag and ruins tires if its out). Next time you buy tires be sure to get a treadwear rating of 400 or better (but only for non snow driving). Do those things and I wouldn't doubt you'd pick up 2-3mpg. Doesn't seem like a lot, but it adds up. G35fromPA is correct too: rearrange your driving habits.

If that doesnt do anything I would get it smogged and look at those numbers. Those can tell you how well your cats and O2 sensors are working.

Alright thanks for your help. I'll do all that and see what's up. You have an idea how much these items would cost? Including labor

Old 02-15-2014, 12:10 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Stillen Z-Tube is about $70 on eBay, K&N panel filter is about $50-60, and NGK Iridium plugs are about $4.50/ea on Rockauto.com.

I would suggest you do it yourself tho. if you know nothing about about cars, i understand it can be a bit intimidating, but the Z-tube and K&N literally have no learning curve. you just need a screw driver. the plugs are a bit tedious, but there are VERY comprehensive step-by-step videos on youtube. i couldn't say how much it would cost in labor, but regardless of whether it's $5 or $500, it's too much to do something that i know anyone could do in about 30 minutes.

i believe in you. haha

Old 02-15-2014, 01:03 AM
Haha I sure will. I just found a combo for $110. How about the plenum spacer. What's your take on that

Old 02-15-2014, 02:26 AM
I've been on the fence about that for a long time. I don't have it yet, but I imagine its good. Again, its about air in/out efficiency, and that opens up the intake side so it should offer a bit of efficiency on top of the hp (provided you keep your foot out of it which is hard with the extra power). I think its especially necessary if you plan on a tune tho. My suspension started falling apart right before I bought the spacer tho, so I was working on lowering/rebuilding for a long time.

Last edited by ScraggleRock; 02-15-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:44 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I would also assume that the space should increase efficiency. Better flow is good but more volume also can mean more fuel, this means really keeping your foot out of it like gdirty said above. Spacer seems like an awesome mod for the money and skill legal required to install, I would say its worth it for sure. I am going to pick one up too. I'm waiting on my z tube and stillen intake as we speak, for me I like the sound and efficiency, I know it isn't going to yield really any hp but if I can even pick up 1 mpg I will be happy

Old 02-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Yeah I'll get that on Friday as soon as that paycheck hits the spot. So I think the z tube and filter would help mpg and spacers would help hp. As for lowering goes, I'm not a fan of that. It looks nice but I can't drive as hard and rough as I would, I'll have to watch out for bumps and hills and that's not why I bought a G

Old 02-15-2014, 02:09 PM
Will is correct, in that the increased air volume will result in increased fuel consumption because your computer will adjust the amount of fuel because it wants a very specific fuel/air ratio (like rejetting a carb after a mod), but you can see efficiency results with a lot of self control haha.

That's why I mentioned the tune, because you can change the air/fuel ratio and really get the most out of your breather mods in both efficiency and hp, not to mention throttle response and overall enjoyment of the vehicle. It's pretty much the best mod you can get.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:43 PM
Omg this is so confusing. So adding the spacer can possibly result in higher fuel consumption? Smh this is too much to understand and process

Old 02-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Yes it can depending on your driving habits, the more air you intake the more fuel will be required to burn, that's why what we are saying is you will need to adjust your driving habits and make sure you make yourself aware of your rpms and take offs if you are driving for fuel efficiency that is. Everything can help bit also hinder. Lol with great power comes great responsibility!

Old 02-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Lol I feel worse than spider man. Too much responsibility. I'll hold off on the spacers then cos I'm pretty hard on the gas

Old 02-19-2014, 12:52 AM
I like to press the gas a bit sometimes, but I tend to granny drive a lot too. You will see me still accelerating while others are going 40.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:56 AM
Not the case here. I always go pretty heavy on the petal.
Normally going 40 by the time the other cars pass
The intersection (:

Old 02-19-2014, 12:56 AM
I hear you, after this winter, i feel like i should drive super slow just to save gas

Old 02-19-2014, 01:00 AM
I already do that^ What pisses me off are people cutting me off and all. Today I passed 2 people by going into the turning lane just so I dont slow down (Don't worry It was safe and no cops around lol)

Btw: I shift around 2,100 RPM's. Thats how bad I granny drive haha.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:15 AM
Infinti suggest being in 6th gear at 33mph, and I do I do I do-ooooo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Really... Really bad mpg. 12.5 mpg??