G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

car won't start up after starter/battery changed, pls help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car won't start up after starter/battery changed, pls help

i have an 04 g35 coupe AT. my car has the dreaded parasitic drain problem. i had mechanic try to trace down why battery kept going dead until i read online about the issue. Now while working on it, the car wont even start up anymore, even with a new battery and now a new starter. it just makes a click noise but wont turn or start. any ideas what problem could be? he has chcked most of the relays on the car but show to be good and he will be checking on the ignition relay today. any idea what could be causing issue now? car was working just fine, only the battery goes dead until he worked on the car. i read on the forum where another guy had a white clutch switch of some sort that disassembled but not sure if this is on MT, any help will be appreciated as this is driving me crazy having to take a cab to work

Old 03-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
check the alternator? spark plugs? double check (bring to a different mechanic somehow) the harness or wiring where he checked. or check the sensors?

Old 03-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by cizzla7049
i have an 04 g35 coupe AT. my car has the dreaded parasitic drain problem. i had mechanic try to trace down why battery kept going dead until i read online about the issue. Now while working on it, the car wont even start up anymore, even with a new battery and now a new starter. it just makes a click noise but wont turn or start. any ideas what problem could be? he has chcked most of the relays on the car but show to be good and he will be checking on the ignition relay today. any idea what could be causing issue now? car was working just fine, only the battery goes dead until he worked on the car. i read on the forum where another guy had a white clutch switch of some sort that disassembled but not sure if this is on MT, any help will be appreciated as this is driving me crazy having to take a cab to work
It started and ran with the old battery and starter...it didnt stop starting until the mechanic replaced the battery and starter right?

So either the new battery is dead, new starter is bad or mechanic did not install them properly. If the clutch switch is out you wont be able to start the car either. Its like trying to start a automatic with it out of the park position but if that wasn't broke before I doubt the timing could be that good.

Even if the drain issue was still occurring the car should start up as it was starting before you brought it in....is the starter an oem replacement or autozone refurb? If so put the stock starter back on and fire it up. You wouldn't believe how many brand new parts Ive purchased over the years that did not work out of the box.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:01 PM
hi new starter was taken back to autozone and tested and showed to be good. battery was also tested and showed to be good, i even used the battery to jump off another car (kia sportage) and it started right up. the alternator has also been tested and worked fine. i dont know if the starter relay is a possibility or ipdm or what else could be the problem

Old 03-26-2014, 08:33 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Take the starter back to where ever you purchase it from and ask them to swap it out.. The equipment that most of this parts store use to test starters and alternators is not 100% and it requires knowledge that most of the time those guys don't have.. If you are getting a single click is a sign of a bad solenoid, multiple clicks dead battery... GL...

Old 03-27-2014, 08:28 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a starter test good even though the greas inside were destroyed. I would try another starter.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:17 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Sounds like probably the starter solenoid to me. Are you sure the connections on the battery posts are tight and fully touching both terminals without any oxidation building up in between them? You can sometimes free a stuck starter solenoid by putting a chunk of 2x4 wood on it and smacking the other end with a hammer. The abrupt jolt to the starter will often free it temporarily, and in your case, hopefully call out the starter as the culprit.

Don't play guessing games though. Hook the car up to an OBD-II diagnostic tool and see what kind of voltage it's reading through the ECU while the ignition is on but the car is off and your headlights/radio are all off. It should be at least 10.5 volts with the car off, but more like 11.5 to 12.5 on a newer/healthy battery.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:34 PM
similar starter problem

2 weeks ago my '03 g35 wouldn't start. The battery tested ok, so I replaced the starter and everything ran great after doing that. Today after not driving my car over the 3-day weekend, my car wouldn't start. The lights turned on, I heard a few clicks, and the starter try to turn but it wouldn't start. Also, I turned the headlights on and they wouldn't turn off even when I took the keys out of the ignition. I had to disconnect the ground to the battery for them to shut off.

Any ideas what the problem could be? I used an autozone refurb starter.

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by cizzla7049
How did you end up getting this fixed?

Old 07-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Problem solved...for now

It ended up being a dead battery. I didn't think that was the problelm since it tested ok when I changed the starter. Hopefully I don't add to this post in the next couple of weeks.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:40 PM
hey guys I could really use the help of the people that had to replace their starter from autozone, i recently bought one but the old starter was an autozone starter as well but it was from the previous owner which i dont have a way to contact. I could get a full refund at autozone if I gave them a valid number with a starter under warranty if you could please help me out that be great you can pm me or reply to the thread