G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

What maintenance should be done on my G35?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 02:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What maintenance should be done on my G35?

Hey everyone, I bought a 2005 g35 coupe fully loaded from a dealership, 106k miles. It had a custom exhasut and coilovers when i bought it, as well as a cold air intake. I was wondering what precautionary or required maintenenance should be done on this car? the dealership did the oil, other than that i dont think they did much. I thought of changing the rear diff fluid, and my car idles fine so i dont think the TBs need cleaned yet. Any other suggestions as to what i should do to keep my G running nicely for a long time?? thank you.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:53 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
6mt or Auto? You said fully loaded, so I'll assume 6mt. Ready for the list? Here we go: every fluid you can think of, air filter and spark plugs. BAM!

If you're auto, then every fluid except the tranny fluid. If you feel the need to do the tranny, just do a drain n fill. Don't flush it.

If you feel the need to do *A* tranny, this is the wrong forum.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:58 AM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Yet another post asking about maintenance. Did everyone lose their owners manual with the maintenance schedule?

No one here can fully answer your question because we don't know the history of your vehicle. At those miles you need to check your spark plugs. Soon Gary will chime in and tell you all your fluids need to be changed.

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 04:52 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by rsingerG35
Yet another post asking about maintenance. Did everyone lose their owners manual with the maintenance schedule?

No one here can fully answer your question because we don't know the history of your vehicle. At those miles you need to check your spark plugs. Soon Gary will chime in and tell you all your fluids need to be changed.
Hahahah

Old 09-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
First, do you know the vehicles service history?

Now, personally, if I was in the situation I would just change all fluids and spark plugs and give everything a cleaning for the peace of mind. Of course, I would do all the labor myself, so it would only cost me fluids/parts - and would be just a few hundred bucks for everything.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, it is a 6mt. I forgot to mention that my bad. And i have read through the service manual extensively, but I figured I would ask here where people know the behavior of the car and such. By ALL fluids, what specific ones are you talking about? I did oil already, I am going to do the rear diff as well. And should I just check the plugs first to see if they're going bad and then decide if i should replace them? Or should they just be replaced now? Thanks again, trying to learn more about working on cars, so bear with me.

P.S. I will be doing all maintenance myself as well, and i do not know the vehicles service history.

UPDATE: I am planning to change the plugs, rear diff oil, tranny fluid, and clutch fluid. Is there anything else you would recommend i do? I want to be as safe as possible, I need the car to last.

Last edited by MilesToInfiniti; 09-03-2014 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:39 AM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
If you don't have service history of any kind I would change all fluids, plugs, filters, check your belts, brakes, and suspension components.

PS: When you change your plugs you may find oil in one or more of your spark plug tubes. Its not the end of the world but at some point you will have to replace the entire valve cover. There are other options but I don't know much about it.

Stick with these spark plugs: https://www.conceptzperformance.com/...ion.php?II=756

Buy the standard type. Change them now as they are probably garbage at this point.

Last edited by rsingerG35; 09-03-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Hatchman (09-06-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by rsingerG35
If you don't have service history of any kind I would change all fluids, plugs, filters, check your belts, brakes, and suspension components.

PS: When you change your plugs you may find oil in one or more of your spark plug tubes. Its not the end of the world but at some point you will have to replace the entire valve cover. There are other options but I don't know much about it.

Stick with these spark plugs: https://www.conceptzperformance.com/...ion.php?II=756

Buy the standard type. Change them now as they are probably garbage at this point.
Can i find guides on how to check all of those just by googling? and i already bought the iridium spark plug set, I heard they were good.

Scratch that first question, i found em all. I will check when i have time and replace things as needed. Thanks. Also, what specific filters do you mean? I know the oil one was just replaced.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,017 Likes on 936 Posts
Interior air filter located inside of lower glove box, engine air filter, THERE IS NO TRANSMISSION FILTER, and engine oil filter with oil change lol.

Spartan268 (09-03-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
6mt or Auto? You said fully loaded, so I'll assume 6mt. Ready for the list? Here we go: every fluid you can think of, air filter and spark plugs. BAM!

If you're auto, then every fluid except the tranny fluid. If you feel the need to do the tranny, just do a drain n fill. Don't flush it.

If you feel the need to do *A* tranny, this is the wrong forum.
I was planning on doing the tranny just for precautionary purposes... but youre saying its not really necessary? Also, i have a CAI so i wont be needing a new filter. Im getting from these responses that I need to do the rear diff, brake and clutch fluid? Not tranny, and the oils just been done. Oh yeah and maybe power steering?

P.S. Everywhere ele i have looked has recomended a tranny flush... so probbly getting that done.

Last edited by MilesToInfiniti; 09-05-2014 at 02:15 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:17 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Miles, did you buy your G35 from the Infiniti dealership? Regardless, you can have them run your vin number and find out what if any service was done at their dealership. By all fluids that includes trans/differential/radiator/brake/power steering and of course oil which has already been done. Good Luck & Enjoy the Ride!
Gary

Old 09-05-2014, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this thread is old, but I still wanted to chime in.

Check infiniti dealerships and have them run your vin to see if it had been previously dealer serviced, you might be in luck.

The above information is correct, in saying that all fluids and filters should be changed. But after that, what maintenance YOUR car needs is subjective. Probably a good idea to change the spark plugs given the mileage. My personal suggestion would be to run an intake cleaner/ fuel injector additive. I know most people on the site swear against additives, but people have ALSO said that BG products work well for our cars.

I can say from personal experience BG additives work well for our cars. I ran a can of BG44k fuel injector cleaner through the gas tank, and used their intake cleaner through a vacuum line going into the intake manifold. The end result being a better idle, and the car running more efficiently. I know this because the exhaust isn't pushing out as much air compared to before I used the additive, which I was told from certified automotive technicians, means more of the fuel is being used in combustion rather than thrown out the exhaust ports.

While you're under your car, you may as well check CV boots, suspension bushings, and for any miscellaneous leaks that might exist. Congrats on buying the G! You'll love it.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:13 AM
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
While you are doing the belts, might as well get the shorter belt that deletes one of the idler pulleys.
1lb on rotating mass you don't need between the crank and power steering pulley and one less part that is going to fail eventually.

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=5640