G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Muffler delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
No muffler sounds fantastic outside the car...Car sounds exotic. Inside is an entirely different ball game, cruising in the city will make you shoot yourself. On the highway it's not as intrusive.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have this done the drone really is not bad at all windows down it sounds good it's not extremely loud but people will hear you coming. It surprisingly does not sound bad. Would I do it again? Yes I would. Do I still eventually want a legit system? Yes but for the time being I love the sound

Old 12-08-2014, 01:00 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
how come every time someone talk about muffler delete, the only concern is sound? What about HP?
As far as I know muffler delete will effectively drop your HP.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:34 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by JOKER
As far as I know muffler delete will effectively drop your HP.
And shift torque curve higher in the RPM range typically. And since HP is a function of TQ plus RPM you lose low end TQ but might gain a few high end HP.

I have experience with cars running slower at the track with muffler deletes. On a street car, it's usually not a good idea

Old 12-08-2014, 09:41 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
And shift torque curve higher in the RPM range typically. And since HP is a function of TQ plus RPM you lose low end TQ but might gain a few high end HP.

I have experience with cars running slower at the track with muffler deletes. On a street car, it's usually not a good idea
As far as I know there are no gains with muffler delete at all, only losses. We had a dyno meet locally back in the days when most of us were stock with few bolt on mods and one of the Gs had muffler delete. It dyno'd lower than stock Gs.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:31 AM
I've seen V8's gain top end HP....but it's usually at the very end of the RPM range. So unless you drove around at redline, no benefit in power.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've tried the muffler delete before just for the hell of it. I did not completely remove the muffler I just unbolted it and rebolted it with about a 3/4in gap in between. It honestly sounded really good. Not like an obnoxious civic with a muffler delete loud nor did it sound like a lawn mower. It sounded somewhat close to what most of these expensive exhaust setups sound like for absolutely no money at all. Sure you aren't getting any gains from it, possibly even some losses but if all your looking for is sound for free go for it. Dont listen to these other people who say it drones loud and sounds awful because I doubt any of them have tried it. It sounds amazing outside the car and isnt annoyingly loud inside either.

I also don't understand what these people are talking about when they say they paid money to have their muffler removed. You do know our whole exhaust system is bolted together right? It unbolts at the cats, resonator, and muffler. Its as simple as jacking your car up and unbolting two bolts to detatch the muffler from the pipe after the resonator.

Last edited by Void; 12-13-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Void
I've tried the muffler delete before just for the hell of it. I did not completely remove the muffler I just unbolted it and rebolted it with about a 3/4in gap in between. It honestly sounded really good.
Did you use spacers or stack some sort of washers in between the two exhaust pieces where the gap is? If not, I'd imagine this must rattle quite a bit.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by partyman66
Did you use spacers or stack some sort of washers in between the two exhaust pieces where the gap is? If not, I'd imagine this must rattle quite a bit.
Yes, I used 2 bolts to space then tightened the resonator pipe back down ontop of them to prevent rattling.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Void
I also don't understand what these people are talking about when they say they paid money to have their muffler removed. You do know our whole exhaust system is bolted together right? It unbolts at the cats, resonator, and muffler. Its as simple as jacking your car up and unbolting two bolts to detatch the muffler from the pipe after the resonator.

I know people who pay to have headlight bulbs replaced.....

Old 12-15-2014, 08:59 AM
It's quite pathetic, I know. It's funny because these people are complaining they paid $70-100+ to have some muffler shop hack off their exhaust more than likely ruining it when you can remove it yourself by unbolting a few things and re-attach it latter on if you wish.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:48 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
I have a buddy who paid $60 labor to have wiper blades and a battery installed on his car. I offered to show him how to do it for free so he could learn but he prefered to just pay some mechanic for it. Some people just don't care to do ANYTHING on their own cars.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
I have a buddy who paid $60 labor to have wiper blades and a battery installed on his car. I offered to show him how to do it for free so he could learn but he prefered to just pay some mechanic for it. Some people just don't care to do ANYTHING on their own cars.
Yup, I know a few people like that. Coworker here is the worst. Will justify his actions by claming that a mechanic is "trained better" than any shade-tree mechanic will ever be and he's rather leave the car with a mechanic to "go through" it.

So when he needs an air filter, he drops it off at his mechanic, asks him to check it out for a day or two and see if it needs anything else.....and he gets a rental car.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so what do you guys suggest is the cheapest method to improve the car roar without having the car sound like a ricer.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by helalo
so what do you guys suggest is the cheapest method to improve the car roar without having the car sound like a ricer.
If you want to try unbolting the exhaust read my first post on this thread.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Muffler delete