G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Help! What would you do... 03 Z06 now, or 05 G35c in May.......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 02:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Z06 for sure with that insurance rate!

Old 02-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I couldn't make up my mind between the two cars, so I got both!

However, if I had to choose just one, I would go with the '03 Z06, unless I lived in a bad winter weather climate like I do. While the Z06 can make for a great daily driver in warm weather areas, it is utterly hopeless and dangerous in the snow, and snow tires aren't even an option. It looks like you live in Florida though, so that shouldn't be a problem. I would have no problem using my Z06 as a daily driver in Florida. Compared to my G35 coupe, the Z06 is actually more comfortable, gets much better highway fuel mileage (28 stock, 33 MPG now modded), and has a larger trunk/cargo area. As long as you don't need a back seat for anything, it'll make a fine daily driver.

As far as reliability goes, its been damn near perfect - I've had very few problems with it in the 3 years and 18k miles I've owned it. Maybe I got lucky, I don't know. I've actually had more minor annoying problems with my G35.

The only maintenance the Z06 needs is oil changes and tires. For the level of performance the car has, it's really easy to own and maintain. With the exception of tire cost, its no more expensive to maintain than your average 4 door family sedan. Its one of the things I liked about the Z06, compared to many German performance cars like the M3 and Porsches. And if something does break, parts are relatively inexpensive.

I don't think you need to worry about much more depreciation - it seems the Z06's have stabilized around the $30k-$35k range. Most of their depreciation hit was in the first two years, then they level off. A lot of car value sites like Edmunds and Money have listed the Corvette's resale value as a strong point. Although from what I've seen, they must mean long term, not short term. An '03 with low mileage is about perfect in terms of getting the most value for your dollar - its still in warranty and is still like new, yet most of its initial depreciation hit is over.

Insurance is interesting. For some reason, the insurance on my Z06 is actually LESS than for my G35 coupe, with the same coverage. I don't know why, other than the Corvette is definitely less expensive to repair than the G35, and it has an excellent safety rating. I guess the Corvette has a lower claim rate too for some reason. I'm 32 and have a perfect driving record, FWIW.

The Z06 is an absolute blast - I guarantee you'll have a lot of fun with it. Be careful with it though! The car has more than enough power to get you into a world of trouble in the blink of an eye. If you haven't driven a car like this before, and aren't very confident in your driving abilities, then I highly recommend you attend a high performance driving school like Bragg Smith, Bondurant, etc.

One last thing about the Z06's tires: The stock Goodyear F1 Supercars have amazing grip in dry, warm weather - probably the best you'll find short of a race compound tire. However, they SUCK in the rain, and hydroplane easily. Since you live in FL where it can rain hard often, and you plan to daily drive the car, I would switch to Michelin Pilot Sports as soon as the stock tires wear out. The Pilot Sports are much better in the rain, and give up very little in dry traction. In the meantime, if you drive in the rain with the Supercars, stay in the right lane, don't exceed 50-55 mph, and don't use cruise control!

Good luck with your purchase decision.

Old 02-17-2005, 12:28 PM
How long you planning on keeping the z06? If you plan on keeping the car for like 5 or 6 yrs why you worried about depreciation soo much. I could understand if you're planning on selling it in a year or 2.

Old 02-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Z06ified, thanks for your input, thats what I wanted to hear! I'm worried about depreciation just because I dont want to make a bad decision, who knows what could happen, maybe I'll have to get rid of it in 1-2 years for whatever reason. Just wanna cover my *** ya know? It seems like I cant go wrong here though.

I would DEFINITELY take a performance driving class for this thing. The brief 15 minute drive I had was enought to convince me this would almost be a required if I were to drive the car daily.

Thanks for your input everyone, I'll provide an update and pics as soon as I've made a decision 100%..

I've asked about 20 people outside of the responses I've gotten in this forum and I think 2 people have said stick with the G35, my mom, and a guy that I work with (because he wants one!)...

Thanks again everyone, I'll keep you posted...

Old 02-17-2005, 02:02 PM
i would say go with the G....
Only because it will be brand new as compared to used.
Nothing like having a new car.

also as everyone says the insurance will be much more on the z06.

Old 02-17-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Z06ified
Compared to my G35 coupe, the Z06 is actually more comfortable, gets much better highway fuel mileage (28 stock, 33 MPG now modded), and has a larger trunk/cargo area.
That is pretty astounding.

Go for the Z06!

Old 02-17-2005, 07:32 PM
go with new G.( people don't look at a late model covett,they'll look at new vett)

Old 02-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Hmm, well I dont really care about people looking at me, actually I'm somewhat hesitant about the yellow because its a little too flashy, can you say ticket magnet? lol But i do really like the yellow color on that car. I wonder how powder-coating the stock rims black would look..... hmmmmmm.....

So in general you think if an 05 g35c and an 03 yellow z06 were at a stoplight everyone would ignore the z06 and look at the G? Close call, but I think the z06 would draw more attention, not that thats a good thing..

I'm trying to work out financing for the z06 now, I'm really leaning towards it at this point. Tonight the owner of the car really opened it up for me, insane! It's intoxicating, I guess I've been Z06ified, lol

Old 02-17-2005, 11:14 PM
Vette insurance is actually not bad, most of the people driving them are older dudes that rarely get them over 100. I beat the **** outta my C5 for a few years and it held up great, no problems whatsoever. Also, it was very comfortable as a daily driver. One of the best all-around cars, I'm sure you would really enjoy it...

Old 02-17-2005, 11:16 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Honestly, the only negative I can say about the Z06 is the interior. It just plain stinks, and you'll get tired of it.

If you don't care about the interior, then def get the Z06. The performance is just plain better.

Old 02-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by madchef
Honestly, the only negative I can say about the Z06 is the interior. It just plain stinks, and you'll get tired of it.
The interior of the Z06 is definitely not its strong point. Its not horrible, but it is somewhat on the cheap side. Despite its looks, the interior does have some good qualities - the gauges are EXCELLENT (easy to read, look nice), its very comfortable, and the ergonomics/functionality is great (better than the G35).

If all you care about is plastic quality and panel gaps, then the Z06 is not for you. Trust me though, when you're flogging the Z06 hard, the LAST thing on your mind is the interior. While you may get tired of the interior (I haven't yet), you'll never get tired of the fun, and that's way more important, IMO.

Old 02-18-2005, 11:34 AM
One thing to also note is the 2 seater. I know when I was looking last year I said I'm gonna get the Z thinking that 25 and wont need that backseat for a while. Well a few times its really come in handy as far as emergencies go and you just never know when you need it.

Its a tough decision for you but just wanted to add that in.

Old 02-18-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Z06ified
The interior of the Z06 is definitely not its strong point. Its not horrible, but it is somewhat on the cheap side. Despite its looks, the interior does have some good qualities - the gauges are EXCELLENT (easy to read, look nice), its very comfortable, and the ergonomics/functionality is great (better than the G35).

If all you care about is plastic quality and panel gaps, then the Z06 is not for you. Trust me though, when you're flogging the Z06 hard, the LAST thing on your mind is the interior. While you may get tired of the interior (I haven't yet), you'll never get tired of the fun, and that's way more important, IMO.
great points... u forgot the heads up display (i think it has it). i had it in my late '01 and i loved that nifty little feature. ax... make sure u ask the person about any problems he's had... and get all the service records. keep in mind maintenance as well. z06ified... ever replace your tires? how much was it.... i remember my c5 costs being kind of high for replacement run-flats. i know z06 is not run-flat but the suckers are large on the rear. other than that.... the z06 is an incredible sports car.

as for people not looking at u ? well... i'm sure they'll stare at your rear quite contently once u beat the pants off them from the line or anywhere else

whatever u do... the g and vette are both great cars! u won't regret either of them.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:02 PM
what is the "G35C"

Old 02-18-2005, 03:35 PM
ah, these are the kinds of "problems" eveyone should have....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help! What would you do... 03 Z06 now, or 05 G35c in May.......