G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Help! What would you do... 03 Z06 now, or 05 G35c in May.......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by giddyup69
u forgot the heads up display (i think it has it).
Yes - thank you! I completely forgot about the HUD. I love that feature too - especially when running on a road course or autocross - helps you remember your turn entry speeds without ever taking your eyes off the road.

The HUD is standard on all Z06's except for the 2001 model.

z06ified... ever replace your tires? how much was it.... i remember my c5 costs being kind of high for replacement run-flats. i know z06 is not run-flat but the suckers are large on the rear.
Funny you ask - I'm in the process of buying my 1st set of replacement tires. I priced out the original Goodyear Eagle Supercar F1's that came with the car on Tire Rack. Looks to be about $1,100 for the set of 4, plus mounting, balancing, etc. Its about the same cost as a set of Michelin Pilot Sports for the G35 Coupe with 18's. I got 18k miles out of the original set of tires, with 2 autocrosses, 1 high speed track day, and thousands of miles of high speed canyon driving when I was living in SoCal. Tires are definitely the most expensive maintenance item on the Z06, but its worth it.

as for people not looking at u ? well... i'm sure they'll stare at your rear quite contently once u beat the pants off them from the line or anywhere else
The Z06 gets plenty of attention - I'm surprised at how many recognize its a Z06 and not a regular Corvette. It definitely has a different, more aggressive stance with the wider tires, brake intakes, etc. The G35 is definitely a great looking car too though, and gets plenty of looks as well, so its almost a toss-up. The Z06 definitely gets noticed more and gets more respect than the G35 when I'm at work. When I bring the G35 to work, nobody mentions it. Everytime I park the Z06 at work, my co-workers always notice it, and say things like "see you brought the Vette today."

For reference, there are 2 other G35 Coupes at my office, one is exactly like mine. By contrast, I have the only Z06 at the office, and there is only two other C5 Corvettes.

Old 02-18-2005, 08:37 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up done.

Ok, its done... Got everything set today, taking the car tomorrow!!! Z06 that is... I just had to... in one word the car is just badass, not that the G isnt, I love that car, but I just couldnt pass this up, it seems like I got a really good deal also. I have all maintenance records, this guy really took care of it, hasnt had any problems so far. Only problem is that the drivers side seat has a stab wound lol... its not reeal bad, but I might see about getting a new skin for the drivers side seat...

I really appreciate everyone's comments, I'm really impressed with the G community. Awesome people. I'll still lurk around here definitely even though unfortunately I'm not going to be a G owner.

I'll post up some pics tomorrow! 2 mods right off the bat are going to be tint (he doesnt have any!!) and I'm going to look into powder coating the stock rims black (or maybe purchasing another set and pc'ing them black).

again, thanks for all the input, invaluable!!!!!!

Hmm, I wonder if I can still be part of the florida g35 club without a G ...............

woohoo!!!

Old 02-18-2005, 08:49 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Originally Posted by ax11
Hmm, I wonder if I can still be part of the florida g35 club without a G ...............
Congrats and no, you don't have to own a G to remain a FGC member. You have to at least pass by the March 5th meet in Clearwater. I bet a lot of us there wouldn't mind going for a ride in your Z06 If you don't mind, that is.

Old 02-18-2005, 09:39 PM
MyG37 Administrator

O well my opinion is to late, I was gunna say the G, just cuz Im not a fan of the vette, but congrats, have fun, don't try and race me!

Old 02-19-2005, 09:16 AM
Congrats ax! Best of luck to you with the Z06 - I'm sure you'll love it.

I'm going to look into powder coating the stock rims black (or maybe purchasing another set and pc'ing them black).
Be careful with powder coating - it seems the powder coating process can weaken the aluminum alloy and cause stress cracks and possible hub failure of the wheel under extreme cornering such as during autocross or track use. You may want to consider having the wheels painted instead of poweder coated.

Here are two forums you'll definitely want to check out:

http://www.z06vette.com
http://www.corvetteforum.com

Do a search on either forum about powder coating stock Z06 rims.
I'm registered on Z06vette as "Z06ified", and on corvetteforum as "stingray454".

Old 02-22-2005, 01:31 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Talking

Just an update... I'm convinced this is the best purchase I've ever made! LOL I dont think I'm going to be able to wipe this silly grin off my face for a while. The car is an absolute BLAST to drive.

I've already ordered a hurst shifter and an aftermarket ****. Gonna get used to it a bit before I start the performance modding, I'll just keep an eye out for a nice set of headers, an offroad xpipe, and a decent intake, get a tune and leave it at that.

I've read up on powdercoating and that definitely seems like a bad idea, so I'm thinking painting them would be a much better idea.

I'll post some photos asap!

Z06ified, thats for all the info, I registered on both forums, awesome information there! This is going to be fun!

I'll definitely come out the the march 5th g35club meet! I would still love to have a g35c, still think they're badass! and anyone that would like a ride in the Z is welcome to one.

Anthony

Old 02-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Just an update... I'm convinced this is the best purchase I've ever made! LOL I dont think I'm going to be able to wipe this silly grin off my face for a while. The car is an absolute BLAST to drive.
I told ya! Glad you're enjoying the ride!

I've already ordered a hurst shifter and an aftermarket ****.
Good call there too - I put a Hurst shifter on too with an MGW Gripper ****, and its a big improvement. I still don't like the feel of the tranny (too notchy and stiff for my taste), but at least I don't miss shifts anymore with the Hurst, since it shortens the throws much more and has a more positive gate feel.

Gonna get used to it a bit before I start the performance modding, I'll just keep an eye out for a nice set of headers, an offroad xpipe, and a decent intake, get a tune and leave it at that.
Those are basically the same mods I have (except I kept the stock cats). I waited about a year and a half before modding it. Those mods are giving me about 450hp at the crank now, and I can tell you that extra 45hp is VERY noticeable. When stock, my car hooked up pretty well, with wheelspin only a small problem. Now, wheelspin is a MAJOR problem (even going into 4th), but its a fun problem to have! What I like about these mods are 1) they don't compromise the car's reliability or durability at all, 2) they're all bolt-ons with no work inside the engine, 3) they not only improved the power levels, but they also improved the sound of the engine as well, and 4) they actually increased the fuel economy significantly, due to the better breathing.

I'll post some photos asap!
Yeah, lets see some photos!
Z06ified, thats for all the info, I registered on both forums, awesome information there! This is going to be fun!
You're welcome! Glad I could help. You'll find a lot of helpful folks on the Corvette forums, just like here.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:05 PM
i had a momo shift **** in mine. was heavier then the stock and felt better in my hand. below is a pic of it for your peruse. i hope u don't have a problem pulling the pin out from the stock ****.... that thing was b*tch to get out for me.

Attached Thumbnails Help!  What would you do... 03 Z06 now, or 05 G35c in May.......-img_0014-large-.jpg   Help!  What would you do... 03 Z06 now, or 05 G35c in May.......-img_0015-large-.jpg  
Old 02-22-2005, 01:15 PM
...Hmm, I wonder if I can still be part of the florida g35 club without a G ...............

woohoo!!!
The answer is yes (as long as I can drive the Z06)

Old 02-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by giddyup69
i hope u don't have a problem pulling the pin out from the stock ****.... that thing was b*tch to get out for me.
Ahh yes, the infamous "Demon Key." Mine lived up to its name and was royal pain to get out too. Ended up drilling it out

Old 02-22-2005, 03:32 PM
I would say go for the G35 because Z06 is not suitable for a daily driver and its interior sucks!!!!