G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Whirling sound at idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whirling sound at idle

Hello everyone,

My 2006 g35 coupe recently made this very strange whirling sound. It only happens when the car is idle. The strange thing is that is sound does not always come. It sorta hit and miss. At times I'll hear it and at time it just doesn't come at all.

When it does come and I turn engine off it goes away. It doesn't make this sound when I am in motion or accelerating

It sounds like this (sorry I found someone else who posted a vid on youtube)

If someone can tell me what this is that would be so awesome.

Thanks so much

Old 12-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Is your G Automatic or a 6mt?

Old 12-30-2014, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by wuzz-upp
Is your G Automatic or a 6mt?
It's automatic

Old 12-30-2014, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by AT23
It's automatic
Couple of thoughts/questions, have you opened the hood when the noise is occurring to see if it is coming from any of the accessories? Does the noise go away when you put the car in gear with your foot on the brakes? Once the noise starts, does it go away by itself without you doing anything?

Old 12-30-2014, 08:09 PM
Couple of thoughts/questions, have you opened the hood when the noise is occurring to see if it is coming from any of the accessories? Does the noise go away when you put the car in gear with your foot on the brakes? Once the noise starts, does it go away by itself without you doing anything?
Thank you.for your reply

Yes I have popped the hood to have a listen. Sounds exactly like the video clip I found and posted in original post

My g is completely stockwith no mods at all

Nope. The sound is still there whether my car is in park or my foot is on brake in drive mode (as long as it's idle and not moving)

If the noise starts it only goes away when I accelerate and drive. But will return once I go back to complete stop
However If I turn my engine off and turn it back on it goes away

The thing is this sound doesn't always come on. There are times when it doesn't come at all. I would say it comes in half the time

Old 12-30-2014, 08:31 PM
If it was me I would try tapping the starter when you hear the noise, it could be that your starter is sticking and not disengaging completely after you start the car. The starter spline might just be barely contacting the flywheel, enough to give you the noise but not to give you a grinding noise. My thinking is that maybe the noise goes away when you accelerate as a result of centrifugal forces acting on the flywheel. Just a thought.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:34 PM
If it was me I would try tapping the starter when you hear the noise, it could be that your starter is sticking and not disengaging completely after you start the car. The starter spline might just be barely contacting the flywheel, enough to give you the noise but not to give you a grinding noise. My thinking is that maybe the noise goes away when you accelerate as a result of centrifugal forces acting on the flywheel. Just a thought.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will definitely try that. The thing is the noise doesn't come on when I start the car. If it does come then it's usually after I drive for a few blocks o few minutes and come to.complete stop

Old 12-30-2014, 08:44 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. I will definitely try that. The thing is the noise doesn't come on when I start the car. If it does come then it's usually after I drive for a few blocks o few minutes and come to.complete stop
Are you able to approximately determine if the noise is coming from a specific part of the engine and or transmission? Here is another thought, there is a center bearing on the drive shaft (Propeller Shaft), is it possible that the noise is coming from there?

Old 12-30-2014, 10:39 PM
Are you able to approximately determine if the noise is coming from a specific part of the engine and or transmission? Here is another thought, there is a center bearing on the drive shaft (Propeller Shaft), is it possible that the noise is coming from there?
To be honest I am a noob when it comes to engines and cars.
I don't know where that part u are referring to is located lol

Old 12-31-2014, 05:54 PM
To be honest I am a noob when it comes to engines and cars.
I don't know where that part u are referring to is located lol
AT23, we all appreciate your honesty. It's cool we were all noobs at one time or another. Which part don't you know where is at, the starter, the bearing or both? Do you have any family members or friends with some mechanical knowledge that could help you?

Old 01-01-2015, 06:54 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Remove your serpentine belt temporarily and start the car.... i bet it goes away. It's probably a bearing in one of your auxiliary components that is getting a little loud when it's cold out (power steering pump, alternator, etc).

Old 01-01-2015, 12:22 PM
Here is another thought, there is a center bearing on the drive shaft (Propeller Shaft), is it possible that the noise is coming from there?
Disregard this thought, after thinking it through, this would only be possible is the car was moving, the drive shaft does not spin unless the car is moving.

Originally Posted by partyman66
Remove your serpentine belt temporarily and start the car.... i bet it goes away. It's probably a bearing in one of your auxiliary components that is getting a little loud when it's cold out (power steering pump, alternator, etc).
partyman66 offers an excellent suggestion, to expand on his idea, in addition to the noise possibly coming from one of the accessories. Be aware that the noise could also be coming from one of the idler pulleys aswell. My year model 2003 has two belts, one is a serpentine and it drives the Alternator and the Power Steering Pump, there are two Idler Pulleys on this belt run. The other belt drives the A/C Compressor, there is one Idler Pulley on this belt run. I do not know if the 2006 model has two belts as well, but you can determine that quickly by looking under the hood.

In order for you to know where these parts and components are located, you need to get access to a service manual for your year model G. I purchased a CD on ebay for $9, but I do know that there is away to view what you need on this forum for free, I just don't remember the link. Someone else might be able to provide you with that information or you can do a search for it. In any case now that you are a G owner, you should get familiar with the service manual as it will help you reduce your costs if you decide to do your own maintenance.

I have used an old trick through the years to help isolate accessory and idler pulley noises. I spray WD-40 oil into each bearing area of the suspected noisy component one at a time until I find the one that stops making the noise. The WD-40 is not a fix, it just helps identify the culprit, the WD-40 will only work for a short period of time and the noise will return in most cases.

Needless to say, almost everything that people will suggest will require at minimum basic tools, being that you told us you are a noob at all this, it would help you to have a friend or make a new friend that can help you locally and show you how to do some of your own maintenance, this is known as OJT (On The Job Training).

Good Luck and Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2015, 12:36 PM
In order for you to know where these parts and components are located, you need to get access to a service manual for your year model G. I purchased a CD on ebay for $9, but I do know that there is away to view what you need on this forum for free, I just don't remember the link. Someone else might be able to provide you with that information or you can do a search for it.
I remembered I had saved the link to my favorites, here is the link to the service manuals.
http://forums.nicoclub.com/fsm-list-...g-t525067.html