G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Shifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting

I just recently bought my 06 Coupe, not to good at driving stick any suggestions on what rpms I should be shifting at? I don't want to burn out the clutch to fast. Thank you

Old 04-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Depends on terrain. Not gonna shift at the same points when going up hill as you would on flat ground

Old 04-06-2015, 11:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
It's not hard to drive a stick. Always in neutral at a red light or stop sign and foot off the clutch , that will add life to the clutch . Try shifting around 3000 rpms until You get a good feel for the car.
You know Your car when You start shifting by the sound of the engine.

Once You get a good feel You can start downshifting .

Never go passed redline unless You wanna blow Your engine. I wouldn't even take it close to redline

Old 04-06-2015, 11:49 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
This car is just not easy to drive smoothly, especially the first to second shift. I have been driving sticks for 44 years and this is one of the hardest cars to master. Keep at it, you. Willll get better.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:55 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
Old 04-07-2015, 02:16 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Shifting RPM's are not something you can define easily for all gears or situations. You'll get a feel for the car and how rapidly you want to accelerate in each situation and eventually learn to intuitively know when to shift up or down.

Smooth shifting is all about matching your engine revs to the speed of the transmission input shaft. You just have to get used to that as it's different in any car due to gearing being different. You will probably notice that our cars are a bit harder to shift with the air conditioner on because the revs drop quicker and the gears are very close in ratio so it's more likely to drop too far and buck between gears. Shifting at lower RPM's will generally keep your shifts smooth.

Whatever you do, treat the clutch as a "gear switching mechanism". What I mean by that is that you should only be using the clutch when you want to switch gears or go from neutral into a gear. If you use the clutch to emulate neutral or to hold your position on a hill, you're going to beat up the clutch and result in premature failure. If you're on a hill and you want to stay still, put the brakes on and put your car in neutral and let the clutch out. Even if you are in neutral, just holding the clutch down is still bad for the clutch throwout bearing.

Basically just try to minimize the amounts of time that you use your clutch and just use it between gears (including when going from neutral into a gear) and when starting from a stop.

Also... never rest your foot on the clutch pedal when you have no intention of pushing it in as the light pressure on the pedal can still cause wear on the components.

Just get out there and practice though. You don't want to get stuck in a stressful situation with no confidence in your ability to get the car moving smoothly in heavy traffic or on a hill with a car right up your a$$ behind you.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you guys for the great advice! This helps a lot. I appreciate it.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:50 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydreeeezy
Thank you guys for the great advice! This helps a lot. I appreciate it.
Like others have said, this isn't the easiest car to learn on. Also, our clutches tend to be quite expensive. It may serve you well to go find a car for $300 and go practice beating that up and just throw it away afterward. Haha yeah, it'll cost you $300, but could save you $1200 for a new clutch in yer G.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by anynigma
THAT's the one I was looking for last night.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Siciliang35
It's not hard to drive a stick. Always in neutral at a red light or stop sign and foot off the clutch , that will add life to the clutch . Try shifting around 3000 rpms until You get a good feel for the car.
You know Your car when You start shifting by the sound of the engine.

Once You get a good feel You can start downshifting .

Never go passed redline unless You wanna blow Your engine. I wouldn't even take it close to redline
this is horribly false. you can take your car to redline and bounce it off the rev limiter.
seriously i dont understand this forum sometimes.

The following users liked this post:
Ejgold55 (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 09:18 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
I've been driving manual cars since I was 15, and this car was a pain to master (esp the 1st to 2nd shift). I finally went for the RJM clutch pedal mod. That product has been through a few iterations, I think it's as easy as just swapping out the whole clutch pedal assembly now. Probably one of the best drive-ability mods I've done.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:22 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
i have the rjm clutch as well. and coming from a competition high tq clutch, the pedal is wonderful.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by andrewvk
this is horribly false. you can take your car to redline and bounce it off the rev limiter.
seriously i dont understand this forum sometimes.
There is nothing wrong with the other guys advice. If you want your car to last a very long time you will not go near redline often or at all. That's good advice. Just because your car has a rev limiter doesn't mean you can't go past it. If you are accelerating down a steep hill the downward pull of gravity can pull you past redline and if you downshift into too low of a gear it can and will overrev the engine past redline. The rev limiter just prevents the engine from using its own power to rev past the preset redline RPM by cutting the fuel feed when it gets to that RPM, but if the transmission input shaft is spinning the engine at a higher RPM there is nothing to stop it from doing so.

Revving high generally puts a lot of stress on your internal engine's components, generates a lot of heat, and will wear your motor out at a lower mileage level than if you tried to keep the RPMs down to a more reasonable level. Why do you think diesel engines tend to last so long? They spin at super low RPM's, so stuff generally takes less of a beating over a said amount of miles than another vehicle that spins at 2 to 3 times the RPMs in order to produce the same vehicle speeds. This means less wear on piston rings as well as any other part that moves or spins in sync with the motor.

Last edited by partyman66; 04-07-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:47 PM
That's one of the reasons I love this car, I don't have to down shift to pass some one.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
That's one of the reasons I love this car, I don't have to down shift to pass some one.
Downshifting is so fun if done right plus sounds cool!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shifting