G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Shifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 10:58 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66
There is nothing wrong with the other guys advice. If you want your car to last a very long time you will not go near redline often or at all. That's good advice. Just because your car has a rev limiter doesn't mean you can't go past it. If you are accelerating down a steep hill the downward pull of gravity can pull you past redline and if you downshift into too low of a gear it can and will overrev the engine past redline. The rev limiter just prevents the engine from using its own power to rev past the preset redline RPM by cutting the fuel feed when it gets to that RPM, but if the transmission input shaft is spinning the engine at a higher RPM there is nothing to stop it from doing so.

Revving high generally puts a lot of stress on your internal engine's components, generates a lot of heat, and will wear your motor out at a lower mileage level than if you tried to keep the RPMs down to a more reasonable level. Why do you think diesel engines tend to last so long? They spin at super low RPM's, so stuff generally takes less of a beating over a said amount of miles than another vehicle that spins at 2 to 3 times the RPMs in order to produce the same vehicle speeds. This means less wear on piston rings as well as any other part that moves or spins in sync with the motor.

why on earth would you downshift when you are already near or on the rev limiter.
your response doesnt even make sense. there is no reason you cannot take your car to the rev limiter. i do it all the time on my two vq motors both over 130k each. obviously you shouldnt downshift while at the limiter, thats way beyond common sense.

and to the diesel comment. yes one of the reasons diesels last a long time is because of lower rpms. thats 1 reason out of many.
1)massive crank/rod bearing journals compared to that of a gasser makes for more bearing material, lowering bearing load pressures and wear.
2)extremely well designed oiling systems
3)gasoline by nature is very dirty, even after being passed through a fuel filter its loaded with very fine particulate that chews up the motor, where as diesel is very clean, and also the fuel filtration system on a diesel is usually far more advanced and effective than that of a gasser.
4)run cooler due to overkill cooling systems, and also because there is less fuel being used (diesels are very efficient).
5)gasoline produces slightly acidic byproducts after being burned, eats motor a smidge.
6)no vacuum in a diesel, so stress on the rotating assembly is only from cylinder compression.
7)they are very expensive, and the average diesel owner takes better care of his/her investment.
8)they are built for commercial reasons so they are held to much higher standards and tolerances.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:38 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome to the club.. And GL the G35 has a very interesting clutch pedal.. I had to upgrade to the RJM fully adjustable pedal to be able to enjoy driving after my clut kit upgrade.(Exedy stage 2 performance clutch)

Old 04-08-2015, 12:43 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewvk

why on earth would you downshift when you are already near or on the rev limiter.
your response doesnt even make sense.
Nobody in their right mind would do it on purpose unless you were trying to blow the motor, but people can misshift when trying to do a hard downshift and accidentally do a 6\5-->2 downshift when trying to do a 6\5-->4 downshift and then the RPM's will shoot up way over the redline. Also, some people might overrev the car when trying to do compression braking on an offramp if they don't know how low of a gear to choose and do something like a 6-->3 downshift at 90 MPH or so. This type of thing is not uncommon when you get people who are used to driving cars that are geared very tall such as Corvettes and Camaros equipped with a T-56.

there is no reason you cannot take your car to the rev limiter. i do it all the time on my two vq motors both over 130k each. obviously you shouldnt downshift while at the limiter, thats way beyond common sense.

and to the diesel comment. yes one of the reasons diesels last a long time is because of lower rpms. thats 1 reason out of many.
1)massive crank/rod bearing journals compared to that of a gasser makes for more bearing material, lowering bearing load pressures and wear.
2)extremely well designed oiling systems
3)gasoline by nature is very dirty, even after being passed through a fuel filter its loaded with very fine particulate that chews up the motor, where as diesel is very clean, and also the fuel filtration system on a diesel is usually far more advanced and effective than that of a gasser.
4)run cooler due to overkill cooling systems, and also because there is less fuel being used (diesels are very efficient).
5)gasoline produces slightly acidic byproducts after being burned, eats motor a smidge.
6)no vacuum in a diesel, so stress on the rotating assembly is only from cylinder compression.
7)they are very expensive, and the average diesel owner takes better care of his/her investment.
8)they are built for commercial reasons so they are held to much higher standards and tolerances.
Much of what you said would be true for a big rig, but we'd be fools to compare the longevity of a daily driver commuter vehicle with a commercial big rig or a heavy duty commercial grade pickup truck. Your common diesel equipped commuter vehicle isn't overbuilt or overcooled in comparison to a common gasoline powered one and most of their owners don't go to any great extents to care for their vehicles (think Volkswagon commuter car or some old Volvo diesel car).

Why are you acting like revving the engine up real high is not any worse for your car than driving it at a normal RPM? Anyone who knows even a micro-bit of knowledge about cars knows that regular high RPM driving and hard acceleration will wear the motor out faster. I really don't know why you are stuck on this point and keep arguing it.

The simple fact of the matter is that running our cars at or near redline is worse for it than running it in a higher gear at 2000 to 4000 RPM.

I have a feeling that if you lent your car to a friend and saw him driving down the street bouncing off the rev limiter constantly, you would get pretty upset at him or her as opposed to operating it in the normal rev range.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:51 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
After all this the moral of the story is this.... You dont want to prematurely wear the clutch so i think its safe to say You dont wanna prematurely wear the engine. So like i and others have said..... DO NOT redline the car, especially since You just started driving stick lol.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:40 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Redlining burns xenon fluid.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:39 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
no doubt, but I'm lazy sometimes.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:21 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66
Nobody in their right mind would do it on purpose unless you were trying to blow the motor, but people can misshift when trying to do a hard downshift and accidentally do a 6\5-->2 downshift when trying to do a 6\5-->4 downshift and then the RPM's will shoot up way over the redline. Also, some people might overrev the car when trying to do compression braking on an offramp if they don't know how low of a gear to choose and do something like a 6-->3 downshift at 90 MPH or so. This type of thing is not uncommon when you get people who are used to driving cars that are geared very tall such as Corvettes and Camaros equipped with a T-56.

Much of what you said would be true for a big rig, but we'd be fools to compare the longevity of a daily driver commuter vehicle with a commercial big rig or a heavy duty commercial grade pickup truck. Your common diesel equipped commuter vehicle isn't overbuilt or overcooled in comparison to a common gasoline powered one and most of their owners don't go to any great extents to care for their vehicles (think Volkswagon commuter car or some old Volvo diesel car).

Why are you acting like revving the engine up real high is not any worse for your car than driving it at a normal RPM? Anyone who knows even a micro-bit of knowledge about cars knows that regular high RPM driving and hard acceleration will wear the motor out faster. I really don't know why you are stuck on this point and keep arguing it.

The simple fact of the matter is that running our cars at or near redline is worse for it than running it in a higher gear at 2000 to 4000 RPM.

I have a feeling that if you lent your car to a friend and saw him driving down the street bouncing off the rev limiter constantly, you would get pretty upset at him or her as opposed to operating it in the normal rev range.
Accidentally go from 5/2? I don't think the gate would even allow that kind of nonsense at speed.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Accidentally go from 5/2? I don't think the gate would even allow that kind of nonsense at speed.
It does. People do it all the time by accident. Do a quick google search on "350z accidentally downshifted" and you'll come up with a whole bunch of Z owners accidentally doing downshifts to the wrong gear and way overreving their motors who are seeking advice on whether they broke their car or not.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:23 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I remember my buddies old Chevy. Had the Muncie 4 speed on the floor. You could put it in first at 95 mph. Sounded like a turbine car.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:16 PM
going off the basis of overreving shortens the lifespan of a car.
you honestly shouldn't even start the motor, because that also shortens the life. you shouldn't, use the brakes, roll on the wheels, roll down the window.

anything that's a moving part is going to deteriorate as you use it no matter what. yes there are faster ways of making it happen. but that doesn't mean you should act like your car is going to break when you step on the gas pedal. my truck and my car alike are both way over maintained. my car gets taken to the track a few times a month over the summer, and my truck gets taken to camping trips through the year. and not once have i been afraid of blowing the motor because of hitting the rev limiter.
good luck with your barrett Jackson car. I, unlike you, am going to go enjoy my purchase.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:17 PM
im with you on this one. i don't see the trans letting it happen.
and if it could. whoever it happened to, needs to sell their car because they are moronic.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
im with you on this one. i don't see the trans letting it happen.
and if it could. whoever it happened to, needs to sell their car because they are moronic.
Yeah, I dunno, I have a hard time getting it back down into second unless I'm under 20mph. I mean I could force/finesse it, but it definitely doesn't want to. I feel like anyone going from 5th to 2nd should go get an auto. That's a gnarly mistake that's beyond an accident. Not to mention how far you'd have to throw the shifter. This ain't no video game.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Yeah, I dunno, I have a hard time getting it back down into second unless I'm under 20mph. I mean I could force/finesse it, but it definitely doesn't want to. I feel like anyone going from 5th to 2nd should go get an auto. That's a gnarly mistake that's beyond an accident. Not to mention how far you'd have to throw the shifter. This ain't no video game.
Heat of the moment I guess.