G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Took my first test drive....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 08:44 PM
straight to the bank...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took my first test drive....

So I went to the dealership today, and took my first test drive of a 05 6mt coupe.

WOW
I was expecting to have a lot of trouble driving a manual, but I was surprised at how forgiving the car was. The clutch grabs very high (?) so initially i had some problem finding the catch point. But once i got that it wasnt that hard. The only car (manual) that i can compare to is the Rx-8 which i test drove at Mazda Rev-it-up, and this car is above and beyond that. There is an insane amount of torque in comparison and to me the shifter seemed smoother.

The interior looks very nice, not quite like the es300 i'm driving now but very good. The nav was impressive, I like the "3D" view it has as opposed to the top down approach of other navs. Didnt get a chance to really test out the bose system, but i'll be replacing it anyway so i'm not too concerned.

Overall I was very impressed with the car and I cant wait till march when it gets here

Old 02-19-2005, 11:47 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are going to replace a Bose system that plays MP3's and has a 6 disc changer? you could play music non stop for about 5 days with the mp3 6 disc combo. hmm....I bet some people on here would want to buy it.

Old 02-20-2005, 12:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, you might as well not even get the premium package...if thats possible cause alot of that money goes to the BOSE system.

Old 02-20-2005, 08:15 AM
Virge, what state do you live in? I'm fishin' here... play along.

Old 02-20-2005, 12:46 PM
straight to the bank...
Neffster: Maryland

As for the sound system, i'm probably going to switch out the speakers, add a amp and a equalizer. Not going to touch the headunit

Old 02-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah, the high engagement point of the clutch reminded me of a Protege5 I had in the
past... I had a rex at the time which grabs real low so it threw me off a couple of
times. currently my MCS grabs real low so it was a tad getting use to the G at first.

Old 02-20-2005, 02:04 PM
OK, Virge, so when are you picking yours up? I took mine home Thursday and there has been a big smile on my face ever since - I think my wife suspects I'm guilty of something I really didn't do! (But, it's just the new car, baby!)

Old 02-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by MrElussive
Two annoying things about the G transmission:
1.) Accelerator is sensitive and no "physical" engagement point with the clutch, so I am either revving a bit higher or a bit lower than I want to when starting from a stop (without staring at the tach).
2.) Engine revs down fast so it's hard to make smooth upshifts.

Yea what he said....This thing is in no way easy, and I'm actually shocked that you found it to be very forgiving on a test drive...Most people are ready to give up on MT with this car after their initial test drive...lol

Old 02-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by G35Tuning

... ...Most people are ready to give up on MT with this car after their initial test drive...lol
My 62 year old wife took a test drive in the 05 CPE 6MT 3½ weeks ago and decided to order her car. Her comment about the shift was, "It's a little bit tight or short throw - just like the car it's replacing. Just fine." (She drives a 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT 5MT to and from work every day now.)

For those of us that grew up on stick - first on the column and later "on the floor" it is like second nature to drive a MT, whether in traffic or on the open road. And it should become so in short order for anyone that wasn't raised on a stick.

If the OP really wants a MT, I would not be dissuaded or daunted by using it for a daily commute.

Old 02-21-2005, 09:58 AM
straight to the bank...
Well when i said the engine was forgiving, i meant that i didnt stall as much as i thought i would. The car jerked between shifts (obviously) but i thought it was easier then driving the Rx-8. I guess saying its "forgiving" would be a bad description. But in comparison to the rx-8 its much better =). I'm still very skeptical of how i'll do with the hills though :/. NOT looking forward to that at ALL. But eh, gotta learn sometime right

curmudgeon: they didnt give me a date, but i'm suspecting early to mid march. The car has been on order since december

Old 02-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Hey Virge...so did JBA take care of you? I hope everything worked out for you.

Old 02-21-2005, 11:39 AM
straight to the bank...
Originally Posted by wnt1bd
Hey Virge...so did JBA take care of you? I hope everything worked out for you.
Didnt get a chance to price the car out, i only had an hour to spend on saturday. I didnt get to deal with Greg, another sales guy named Matt helped me. Gonna go talk to them about it near the end of the month.