G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Camber or Toe Wear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Yes, it could, but only if your bushing decided to go bad after your toe was set. I'm sure your bushing was already bad when you got your toe set, so it still shouldn't have moved from the shops settings. Unless you hit a curb or something
So you think the only way the toe could be off is if the alignment was incorrect in the first place? What if it's a dynamic problem and not static, so that the toe moves when braking or accelerating?

Old 06-10-2015, 06:08 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by jacobgriz
So you think the only way the toe could be off is if the alignment was incorrect in the first place? What if it's a dynamic problem and not static, so that the toe moves when braking or accelerating?
That would mean they set it but didn't tighten the jam nuts. I mean your toe would obviously go out over time due to other things wearing out, but it should not happen that quickly.

If I were you I would change your comp rod bushings and lower control arm bushings to polyurethane, buy a lifetime alignment somewhere and get it realigned.

Another question: have you taken anything apart since you had the alignment? Any time you take off any suspension components it will throw your toe off. These cars absolutely require a lifetime alignment. Mine has payed for itself many times over.

Not sure if you know how it works (not insulting your intelligence, I just don't know.), but toe kills your tires by literally dragging them. Imaging you have a pair of roller skates on and you point your toes inward toward each other. It would be really hard to roll forward, and if you did it would basically drag your wheels sideways. That's what wears your tires out.

Camber is just the angle at which you wheel sits. It doesn't necessarily cause excessive friction.

Last edited by ScraggleRock; 06-10-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:49 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I got it done at redline speed worx. It's a Racing Shop that focuses on lowered or performance cars so I highly doubt they would screw it up. I was thinking it could be compression rod bushings. I'm going to take a look at the suspension.
A good alignment shop would have inspected your entire suspension prior to aligning your coupe and recommended replacing worn parts! I just took my wife's Vette to get aligned and they found two bushing that needed replacing, that's how quality shops operate regardless of the cool name on the outside! So have the CRBs replaced, get another alignment along with two new tires and pray they get it right this time.
Gary

Old 06-10-2015, 09:00 PM
That's true actually. Could the lower ball joint have anything to do with it? I have a feeling a bunch of parts are worn, but the lower ball joint looks squished to one side. I should mention my tire went flat before I got new tires about 8000 miles ago and the threads were showing them as well. That was before the alignment. That's another reason I think it could be dynamic.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
That's true actually. Could the lower ball joint have anything to do with it? I have a feeling a bunch of parts are worn, but the lower ball joint looks squished to one side. I should mention my tire went flat before I got new tires about 8000 miles ago and the threads were showing them as well. That was before the alignment. That's another reason I think it could be dynamic.
The lower ball joint wouldn't affect it, no. It should be changed if its clunking or leaking tho. Replacing the LCA and CR bushings with poly and getting it aligned properly should fix your problem. Again, I would suggest a lifetime alignment from a place with a decent reputation. Also, learning about what you want will help you talk to the techs and keep them from half a$$ing the job next time.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
The lower ball joint wouldn't affect it, no. It should be changed if its clunking or leaking tho. Replacing the LCA and CR bushings with poly and getting it aligned properly should fix your problem. Again, I would suggest a lifetime alignment from a place with a decent reputation. Also, learning about what you want will help you talk to the techs and keep them from half a$$ing the job next time.
Is this something I could do myself? I installed the coilovers myself and I'm not trying to spend crazy money after having to buy 2 new tires.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:41 AM
Because its hard for me to tell with the compression rod bushings, but I can tell the Lower control arm bushings are cracked and even a little bit to the side.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:46 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Because its hard for me to tell with the compression rod bushings, but I can tell the Lower control arm bushings are cracked and even a little bit to the side.
Again Jacobgriz, these are all worn suspension issues your Race Shop should have suggested you replace. Nothing feels better than a tight suspension where everything is working and your alignment is spot on. It's sad when you're more aware of what is worn out and your alignment mechanic doesn't mention it...they're not the best place to have your G worked on! In fact, I'll suggest the tire wear was due to misalignment!
Gary

Old 06-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Pics?

Old 06-11-2015, 05:21 PM
Took the advice of you guys and brought it to a different shop for a suspension inspection. He said my bushings look good and everything does, he thinks it's just because of the camber and that the wheel spacers are exaggerating it,and we're going to do an alignment. I already have the rear camber kit so the plan now is to mount the 2 new tires (they came today) install the front camber kit (myself, pretty basic) and then raise the car up just a bit and align it.

Thanks for the help to everyone that replied.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:53 PM
Most likely going to get the spc front camber kit

Old 06-12-2015, 12:51 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Spacers would exaggerate it. How big of a spacer are you running?

Old 06-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Spacers would exaggerate it. How big of a spacer are you running?
15mm in the front, 25mm in the rear