G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Camber or Toe Wear?

Old 06-09-2015, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camber or Toe Wear?

This has probably been asked a bunch of times but I couldn't find a thread to help me. I have an 05 Coupe with the 19" Rays and BC Coilovers. I have the SPC rear camber arms, and they're set to -3º. No camber arms on the front, but they're set to -3º as well. I blew a tire today and when I took it off to put the spare on, I noticed the tire was completely shredded on the inside. The threads were exposed, terribly in some spots. I thought this would be from camber wear, but the wear isn't gradual across the tire, it's almost no wear and then all of a sudden threads. This was the front passenger tire. I then looked at the front driver tire, and it's the same thing. The tires are only about 8,000 miles old, and the back ones are in perfect shape. When I had the tires put on they were aligned by a pretty credible racing shop. Any ideas on how to help or what to do?

Attached Thumbnails Camber or Toe Wear?-img_1917.jpg   Camber or Toe Wear?-img_1918.jpg  
Old 06-09-2015, 04:20 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I think you are going to need to go back to that shop and ask WTF? Did they print you out specs on what they aligned it to?

No way should oyu have had that sort of wear in 8K miles. But also, I would venture to say if you park the car on level ground with the steering wheel straight ahead, is there anything noticeably "off" in the front suspension?

Old 06-09-2015, 05:43 PM
Nope no noticable difference, I've measure the coilover height they're exactly the same. Took the tire to a local tire shop and he said he thinks it's camber. I said well why didnt this happen to the back? He said because of the turning of the front. But the wear is not gradual at all like camber wear, just sudden.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:39 PM
Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
Unless you got crazy camber & your contact patch is just those couple inches than it should be more even across the tire. Also the front tires shouldn't be getting to that point so fast, rears should be getting chewed up way faster. Are you taking it to just the big box stores for alignment? Suggest you go to a more reputable shop that handles just alignments/suspension work.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
put your car on an alignment rack. that much camber will cause tire wear, but I believe you have a toe issue. Front toe is easily adjustable and requires no aftermarket parts so I suggest you have a shop fix that ASAP. Rear toe is another thing, but you have the SPC kit so you should be fine as long as they are adjusted correctly.

One thing I would check is your compression rod bushings. If worn out they can cause some inner tire wear in the front.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:45 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Camber doesn't wear tires, camber suggests where the tire will wear. Toe shreds tires; You have a toe issue. However, what is the tread wear rating on your tire? There are super soft tires that will naturally go that quickly.

Last edited by ScraggleRock; 06-09-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The wear I had without an alignment in the front was similar. I wasted 2 front tires in 2k miles due to no toe adjustment. You said you had spc rear arms, but you need to also install the spc rear toe bolts to adjust the toe.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:01 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Camber doesn't wear tires, camber suggests where the tire will wear. Toe shreds tires; You have a toe issue. However, what is the tread wear rating on your tire? There are super soft tires that will naturally go that quickly.
I agree 100%. Camber won't cause that in 8000 miles. You might see wear like that over the life of the tire, but that accelerated wear is probably caused by toe. Is the shop giving you a spec sheet after doing the alignment? What does it say for toe?

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 06-10-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:46 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Where did you have the alignment done...Pep Boys or Sears? You need to find an independent brake/alignment shop in your neighborhood! All they do is suspension work 6 days a week 8 to 5. They'll be able to align your coupe so your tires won't wear like that or maybe something in your suspension is worn enough to let the shredding happen!
Gary

Old 06-10-2015, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Where did you have the alignment done...Pep Boys or Sears? You need to find an independent brake/alignment shop in your neighborhood! All they do is suspension work 6 days a week 8 to 5. They'll be able to align your coupe so your tires won't wear like that or maybe something in your suspension is worn enough to let the shredding happen!
Gary
I got it done at redline speed worx. It's a racing shop that focuses on lowered or performance cars so I highly doubt they would screw it up. I was thinking it could be compression rod bushings. I'm going to take a look at the suspension.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by jacobgriz
I got it done at redline speed worx. It's a racing shop that focuses on lowered or performance cars so I highly doubt they would screw it up. I was thinking it could be compression rod bushings. I'm going to take a look at the suspension.
Compression rod bushing would knock off your caster and help with the inside wear. Not accelerated wear tho.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Couldn't the compression rod bushing throw off the toe? I just checked and mine definitely need to get replaced

Old 06-10-2015, 04:02 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
My car is lowered 1" all round, I have about 1.1 to 1.2 degrees of camber all round. My toe is factory spec. I get about 25K out my Goodyear's until there is a bit of wear on the inside.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:02 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Couldn't the compression rod bushing throw off the toe? I just checked and mine definitely need to get replaced
yes

Old 06-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Yes, it could, but only if your bushing decided to go bad after your toe was set. I'm sure your bushing was already bad when you got your toe set, so it still shouldn't have moved from the shops settings. Unless you hit a curb or something

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Camber or Toe Wear?