G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 01:25 AM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
New car

yeah, I make a decent amount a month so insurance doesn't worry me very much, just want to get a ballpark figure

Old 08-17-2015, 05:42 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Man..went thru this whole thread looking for someone to shed some truth on this kid. Are you fukcin kidding me? This is such a troll post. Why are you even humoring the OP?

OP, if you're seriously 17 and looking for a car, I advise you against a G35. It is quite honestly the dumbest purchase you can make if you don't have a lot of extra money to throw at the ownership costs. If you have a limited budget, and have to ask about the insurance costs, you can't afford it. Just because you can make an initial purchase doesn't mean you can afford the maintenance and/or incidentals. Don't be a dummy.

The following users liked this post:
Nissan Driver (08-20-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 09:44 AM
New car

scragglerock, I don't know why you think this is a troll post, but okay, and I can keep up with insurance and maintenance I'm rather sure. there's always a hater every time a kid hops in a sports car, I understand, but I'm just trying to make an informed purchase and learn all I can before blowing all my hard earned money

Old 08-17-2015, 02:27 PM
Nothing to do with being a hater. In fact quite the opposite. Save yer money, don't be a poor 23 yr old because you wanted a specific car.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:41 PM
New car

Lol sorry I worded that weird, I meant it as in I've already gotten all the "hate" I understand and thank you for your concerns, if you'd elaborate on how that's make me a poor 23 year old that'd be great, as I honestly would appreciate it before I make a hasty purchase

Old 08-17-2015, 03:18 PM
-Tires don't last long and they're very expensive.
-Bushings go out and unless you're doing the work yourself it's very expensive
-Break a headlight? How's $500-1000 sound (depending on what you can find used)? Not to mention a headlight bulb costs $100 and the ballast is even more outrageous.
-spark plug change, here's a bit of perspective, I changed my grandma's plugs in her V8 Thunderbird and it cost me $10. In our cars its at LEAST $60 in parts alone. Not doing it yourself? I'm sure someone will charge you $400.
-Want a new stereo because you no longer listen to CDs or tapes? The minimum you'll pay (with the shitty metra dash kit) is $600. Sky's the limit from there.
-Gas...like spending money on gas? If you think insurance is expensive, how bout spending $250-300 a month in gas? Every time you start the car the needle drops a notch (did I mention she takes premium?).

Basically, I'm just saying this thing constantly needs money thrown at it even by the most practical owners. IF you catch the mod bug then it just becomes a money pit. Sure you could just run it into the ground and let all these things fall apart and it still may last you awhile. You could buy one used tire at a time only when needed, but then what's the point of having a nice car?

Old 08-17-2015, 03:20 PM
New car

Alright. I understand, I don't mind doing work myself, I've grown up around cars and have even restored a few old ones with the old man. and I don't mind premium since I was about to pull the trigger on a mach 1 a few days ago... what's the mpg? the mach was like 16

Old 08-20-2015, 09:24 PM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
-Tires don't last long and they're very expensive.
-Bushings go out and unless you're doing the work yourself it's very expensive
-Break a headlight? How's $500-1000 sound (depending on what you can find used)? Not to mention a headlight bulb costs $100 and the ballast is even more outrageous.
-spark plug change, here's a bit of perspective, I changed my grandma's plugs in her V8 Thunderbird and it cost me $10. In our cars its at LEAST $60 in parts alone. Not doing it yourself? I'm sure someone will charge you $400.
-Want a new stereo because you no longer listen to CDs or tapes? The minimum you'll pay (with the shitty metra dash kit) is $600. Sky's the limit from there.
-Gas...like spending money on gas? If you think insurance is expensive, how bout spending $250-300 a month in gas? Every time you start the car the needle drops a notch (did I mention she takes premium?).

Basically, I'm just saying this thing constantly needs money thrown at it even by the most practical owners. IF you catch the mod bug then it just becomes a money pit. Sure you could just run it into the ground and let all these things fall apart and it still may last you awhile. You could buy one used tire at a time only when needed, but then what's the point of having a nice car?
A little extreme advice there.

$250 plus in gas? I spend around $100/month on mine. Not sure how you drive if you spend over $250.

Maintenance costs can be expensive, but it is a luxury car. Tires, I spent $400 on 2 and should last 2-3yrs on normal driving.

Everything else (stereo, mods, etc) is relative. Keep it stock and it costs nothing.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:43 PM
New car

Yeah I figured he was being a bit extreme, and I have the hookup at the local audio store so I can get a good deal on most parts when I want to install a new head unit for my subs and all

Old 08-20-2015, 11:06 PM
Extreme? He basically agreed with everything I said, only he said he drives less. He said $800 for tires (which I highly doubt includes mounting and balancing). And 2-3 years is a realistic amount of time for someone who drives literally 1/3 as much as I do (judging by your monthly gas bill). My tires last about a year and a half. There are plenty of people on this forum who have claimed 6 months. It's gonna differ with everyone. But in any relative sense it's expensive. Compare every part and every maintenance service to something you SHOULD be driving (like a civic), and the G is a waste of money.

Also, it doesn't matter if your buddy works at the audio joint. Our vendors can't even get the jdm dash kit, and that's one of the most expensive pieces..

Get the car, man, by all means. I'm just saying its dumb AF to buy a 10+ yr old luxury cruiser when your still getting allowance. But, by all means, its your money.

Last edited by ScraggleRock; 08-20-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:12 PM
New car

an exactly how far do you drive per say on a weekly/monthly basis? and in terms of tires, don't they usually only last as long as the driver allows? (driving like a jackass, etc.) I have no commute and even once college starts I live very close to the university I plan on attending if I don't get into the dorms

Old 08-20-2015, 11:20 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
All work on my G is done by me with the help of the FSM.

Gas isn't much for me with about 150 or so a month.

I'm on my first set of new tires since I got the car back in November and so far they are good on tread level.

It is a money that I can agree with. Parts for this car can be pricey. I have an X so some dealer only parts may cost a ton of money to fix even the little things.

This is not a cheap car to maintain by any means and with that, I always mentioned research is key in looking for cars.

I self maintain my car as a daily driver for work and school and so far, no major issues at all.

If you wanted a car that is cheap to maintain, this car is far from it with anything.

Example: Your valve covers O-Rings are leaking. Got to replace the whole cover.
Oil consumption? Gotta buy oil to keep it at level.

I agree with ScraggleRock in this 100% in that this car is not a cheap car to maintain by any means.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:22 PM
New car

Yeah I totally agree, I'm not expecting it to be as easy and cheap to maintain as my camry whatsoever, I figured gas would be about 150-200 a month and I don't plan on buying an x

Old 08-21-2015, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by Mignav01
an exactly how far do you drive per say on a weekly/monthly basis? and in terms of tires, don't they usually only last as long as the driver allows? (driving like a jackass, etc.) I have no commute and even once college starts I live very close to the university I plan on attending if I don't get into the dorms
I pretty much only drive to work and back 5 days a week. About 1000 miles a month. On my days off my gf and I usually drive her car everywhere cuz she gets 50mpg. It only makes sense.

As far as tires, no. It is not just as the driver allows. I had a ford ranger that I put 65k miles on the tires it had on it and they still looked brand new. Sports car tires are not the same. Theyre lower profile and they are made of softer compounds not to mention the alignment issues the G has. It's got built in negative camber that's pretty aggressive, the bushings and balljoint go bad constantly which screws up yer alignment. So to get the max tire life, you'll need camber kits, new bushings (poly usually) plus if yer gonna drive it slow, why even have a G?

Again, you don't have to listen to me. If you think its a good idea to start your adult life with debt and a car that tends to be a money pit, then go right ahead. I'm just saying you got a loooong time to purchase cool cars. These cars ain't going anywhere. It is most certainly not a financial good idea tho. You just said you don't even have much of a reason to drive. Why have a car at all? Put that money in the bank.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:49 AM
New car

No I totally understand what you mean, and I meant I drive like a lot but not like commute or anything, yeah I knew about the negative camber they came with. I honestly am thankful that you've came out and said this in a non douchey way, like other have on different forums and such, you've revealed a lot of stuff about the car that I didn't know

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New car