G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I made a mistake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I made a mistake

Had my buddy build me a custom exhaust.

Resonator delete in the mid pipe and muffler delete. Ive now got a straight mid pipe that splits into two 2.5 inch pipes with the OEM tips.

I have NEVER owned a car this loud. Even my catless 3in straight piped 02 wrx sounded like a prius next to this thing.

I am planning to have him weld on a resonator or muffler somewhere so I don't get pulled over every day.

Any advice or input to quite my exhaust down would be much appreciated!

Old 11-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
buy the right one.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:26 PM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Muffler deletes will always be loud. I'm assuming it's even louder with the resonator gone. Only option is to install a muffler of your choice. Unless you like the drone and rasp it creates

The following users liked this post:
S 854 (11-07-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 11:35 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by bcoffin23
Had my buddy build me a custom exhaust.
Resonator delete in the mid pipe and muffler delete. Ive now got a straight mid pipe that splits into two 2.5 inch pipes with the OEM tips.
I have NEVER owned a car this loud. Even my catless 3in straight piped 02 wrx sounded like a prius next to this thing.
I am planning to have him weld on a resonator or muffler somewhere so I don't get pulled over every day.
Any advice or input to quite my exhaust down would be much appreciated!
Magnflow replacement muffler should quiet it down to keep you from being pulled over constantly! Are you still running the factory cats? If not, installing them would be another way to quiet your system down! Muffler & Resonator delete...what were you thinking?
Gary

S 854 (11-07-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 11:43 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
there is more to exhaust than just noise

I guarantee you that you now have less power than you did with stock exhaust.

If yo want to make custom exhaust find Motordyne research threads on 350z and read what they had to go through to build the exhaust they built for G/Z. Read the tech and reason behind resonators, mufflers bends and pipe size.

The following 2 users liked this post by JOKER:
Blue Dream (11-07-2016), S 854 (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 05:24 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
^^Some people, especially these younger, instant gratification needing newer members, don't get that but you're right. I second what Joker says OP.............

And OP I'm not necessarily talking about you here. BUT before you do any more mods, research more completely what you are thinking about doing before pulling the trigger and you'll avoid headaches like this one.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
^^Some people, especially these younger, instant gratification needing newer members, don't get that but you're right. I second what Joker says OP.............

And OP I'm not necessarily talking about you here. BUT before you do any more mods, research more completely what you are thinking about doing before pulling the trigger and you'll avoid headaches like this one.
I jumped the gun on this modification, you're right.

I installed hi flow cats but still wanted a little more sound, my buddy offered to build me an exhaust system for cheap relative to HKS, Invidia, etc. so I went with an impulse and had it built.

Lesson learned........I have another stock muffler and am going to buy a stock mid pipe and got back to stock (minus the hi flow cats). $250 lesson right there.

S 854 (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by JOKER
there is more to exhaust than just noise

I guarantee you that you now have less power than you did with stock exhaust.

If yo want to make custom exhaust find Motordyne research threads on 350z and read what they had to go through to build the exhaust they built for G/Z. Read the tech and reason behind resonators, mufflers bends and pipe size.
Thank you for the input. I am going back to stock exhaust this week.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Magnflow replacement muffler should quiet it down to keep you from being pulled over constantly! Are you still running the factory cats? If not, installing them would be another way to quiet your system down! Muffler & Resonator delete...what were you thinking?
Gary
I am running hi flow cats too. I am going back to stock exhaust but keeping the high flow cats.

I wasn't thinking!

Old 11-07-2016, 08:05 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
It's refreshing to see your humility and vision. Man, I'll bet that every member here that modded their car has done a mod they regret at some point. Mine was ignoring the advice of the many and not going with coilovers from the start when I decided to lower my car. Apparently I'm a glutton for punishment because I tried out 3 different suspension set ups before just getting the coilovers. Wasted a lot of time and $$$ before I figured out exactly what I wanted. For me I am better learning from my mistakes these days than I was earlier in life and that's important.

Good luck getting it the way you want and we're glad you're a member, here. Stay as long as you like.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:51 PM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Mine was the HKS eBay exhaust, good ole waste of $250. In retrospect, my eBay test pipes are legit, and paired with the muffler delete its amazing (in my OWN opinion.) To the OP, you'd be surprised how much the stock resonator helps. Keeps things quiet under 3k, and keeps the rasp and drone down A LOT! The video is leaving the shop after having the muffler delete done, it has since quieted down a good amount.

Video was recorded by the shop owner on his potato and ripped from Facebook.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Conissah
Mine was the HKS eBay exhaust, good ole waste of $250. In retrospect, my eBay test pipes are legit, and paired with the muffler delete its amazing (in my OWN opinion.) To the OP, you'd be surprised how much the stock resonator helps. Keeps things quiet under 3k, and keeps the rasp and drone down A LOT! The video is leaving the shop after having the muffler delete done, it has since quieted down a good amount.

https://youtu.be/HA0Ty1IxJfY
Video was recorded by the shop owner on his potato and ripped from Facebook.

My buddy is welding the stock resonator back on today. Never again...... haha

Old 11-08-2016, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
It's refreshing to see your humility and vision. Man, I'll bet that every member here that modded their car has done a mod they regret at some point. Mine was ignoring the advice of the many and not going with coilovers from the start when I decided to lower my car. Apparently I'm a glutton for punishment because I tried out 3 different suspension set ups before just getting the coilovers. Wasted a lot of time and $$$ before I figured out exactly what I wanted. For me I am better learning from my mistakes these days than I was earlier in life and that's important.

Good luck getting it the way you want and we're glad you're a member, here. Stay as long as you like.
Thank you for the positive feedback! I guess experience is the best way to learn. Only a waste of money if you walk away having learned nothing right? haha

Blue Dream (11-10-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 12:25 PM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by bcoffin23
Thank you for the positive feedback! I guess experience is the best way to learn. Only a waste of money if you walk away having learned nothing right? haha
That's sig worthy...

bcoffin23 (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 01:28 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
To put points back in OP's corner, he did title the thread "I Made a Mistake."

This has been a refreshing thread on all counts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.