G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

chirping coming from belts at high rpm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chirping coming from belts at high rpm

so how the title states therequire is noticeable chirping coming from the belts at 4k plus Rpms and also when I go over bumps and ruff roads. I have a new belt and a new a/c tensioner.. any clue?

Old 03-21-2017, 06:48 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Is it just a rhythmic chirp or a full on squeal?

Belts need to be readjusted a few hundred miles after installation since they will stretch as they wear in.

If you're getting a rhythmic chirp that isn't a full on squeal, it could be a pulley that is out of alignment. You can check those with a straight-edge by running it across the pulleys. Our cars are a bit tight up front so you'll have to remove the intake air dam and possibly some other plastic pieces to be able to get enough space to do this. They also make special laser tools to check pulley alignment.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
Is it just a rhythmic chirp or a full on squeal?

Belts need to be readjusted a few hundred miles after installation since they will stretch as they wear in.

If you're getting a rhythmic chirp that isn't a full on squeal, it could be a pulley that is out of alignment. You can check those with a straight-edge by running it across the pulleys. Our cars are a bit tight up front so you'll have to remove the intake air dam and possibly some other plastic pieces to be able to get enough space to do this. They also make special laser tools to check pulley alignment.
it's a rhythmic chirp that slowly dies away, it doesn't chirp in a specific pattern, but if you floor it, it chirps again aggressively.. but if it is a pully misalignment what could be done? I did notice the power steering pulley had a bit of play with the belt off.. and way to tighten that up?

Old 03-22-2017, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by VQ-G
it's a rhythmic chirp that slowly dies away, it doesn't chirp in a specific pattern, but if you floor it, it chirps again aggressively.. but if it is a pully misalignment what could be done? I did notice the power steering pulley had a bit of play with the belt off.. and way to tighten that up?
What brand of belts are you using? I've found that Dayco belts tend to slip pretty badly in comparison to other brands (if that's what you're using). I'm in the process of swapping away from them in all of my vehicles. Mitsuboshi, Gates and Goodyear seem to be better at not slipping in my recent experiences.

If it's doing it when you floor it, then it's probably belt tension needing to be adjusted. The main serpentine belt on our cars actually needs to be tightened to an almost uncomfortable level in comparison to what most vehicles have for belt tension. It's too bad we don't have an auto-tensioner like some vehicles use. What I usually do on our cars is grab the belt in the middle of the longest run and see if I can twist it completely sideways. If you can, it needs to be tightened more. The way I have mine adjusted right now is so that I can twist it a bit but not completely sideways... it doesn't squeal this way and it's not too tight.

You shouldn't have any noticeable in/out or lateral play in your power-steering pulley. If you do, it generally means that the main bearings in the power steering pump are beginning to wear out. Usually you'll start to hear some sort of a humming or light grinding noise when the bearing wear becomes pretty bad.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:47 AM
Originally Posted by partyman66
What brand of belts are you using? I've found that Dayco belts tend to slip pretty badly in comparison to other brands (if that's what you're using). I'm in the process of swapping away from them in all of my vehicles. Mitsuboshi, Gates and Goodyear seem to be better at not slipping in my recent experiences.

If it's doing it when you floor it, then it's probably belt tension needing to be adjusted. The main serpentine belt on our cars actually needs to be tightened to an almost uncomfortable level in comparison to what most vehicles have for belt tension. It's too bad we don't have an auto-tensioner like some vehicles use. What I usually do on our cars is grab the belt in the middle of the longest run and see if I can twist it completely sideways. If you can, it needs to be tightened more. The way I have mine adjusted right now is so that I can twist it a bit but not completely sideways... it doesn't squeal this way and it's not too tight.

You shouldn't have any noticeable in/out or lateral play in your power-steering pulley. If you do, it generally means that the main bearings in the power steering pump are beginning to wear out. Usually you'll start to hear some sort of a humming or light grinding noise when the bearing wear becomes pretty bad.
yeah it's a dayco, and i can twist the alternator belt and A/C belt 90° i heard that's good tension, , it started doing it 7,000 miles into the new belts life and I got a new one under warranty and it did the same, keep in mind I tensioned it the same as the other one (90° twist of the belt)
so what do you recommend? tighten up the belt?
Thanks for all the help so far! You guys are really great/helpful!

Old 03-22-2017, 05:39 AM
You might want to consider doing the idler pulley delete if you end up getting a new belt. I find that my car squeals less with that extra unnecessary pulley gone and you save a about 6 pounds in total weight of which about 2 pounds is rotational mass. All you have to do is buy a different sized new belt than the stock one, and order the small spacer from Nissan that goes between your alternator mounting bracket and the engine block, then you can remove the middle idler pulley all together and just complete bypass that extra angle in the belt run.

I still have a Dayco on my G35 and just recently adjusted it so that it doesn't squeal at all in any weather or under any load, not even when starting up. It was squealing for a long time with that same belt and it took me quite a while to get the tension setup just right so that it doesn't. I'll try to remember to check the belt tension on it sometime this weekend and let you know exactly how much I can twist the belt right now in it's current happy state of adjustment. It's going to be really cold here for the next few days and I'm currently in the midst of doing emergency repairs on 2 other vehicles right now for family members, so I probably won't be able to check until Friday or Saturday. Just keep in mind that i have done the idler-pulley delete on my car, so there's some potential for deviation in the perfect belt tension between our 2 cars right now since you presumably still have your idler pulley and the run lengths between your furthest 2 pulleys will be different than mine.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:41 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Is the tensioner a Nissan item or something you picked up from the auto parts store, and who installed it? From what you describe either something is misaligned or loose! You should never hear any noise from your belts going over bumps or ruff roads even with aftermarket belts! I have to go over bumps so slow a 3 year old could pass me on her trike.
Gary

Old 03-23-2017, 05:20 PM
I checked that belt tension out today for you... I'm not able to twist it 90 degrees. I would say more like 70 degrees max, and it doesn't slip at all like that in any weather.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.