G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Negotiation tips for buying that G35 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Negotiation tips for buying that G35 coupe

Having bought a number of cars and never paid much over invoice, I'd like to solicit other forum members input & success stories regarding purchase negotiations. I'm sure many buyers who read this thread would be interested and could benefit.

So here goes a small part of my "tips & techniques" list (keep adding to this list):

1. Always have as much information as possible about the car you will buy, such as invoice prices (base, options, accessories, etc.)

2. Always be prepared to walk out the door (and do it sometimes)

3. Always negotiate price, never monthly payments

4. Never, ever tell the dealer what monthly payments you can afford

5. Make your deals at the end of the day, at the end of the month, on a weekday, on a rainy day, or during a slow selling period

6... ?

Old 03-01-2005, 02:55 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
6. Pit one dealer's price against another (feel free to make it up)
7. Leave and come back another day, the price will go down as they won't expect you to return a second time
8. Chosing a dealer with a large inventory helps

Old 03-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Cmon Son!
9. If you dont get the reasonable price you are expecting, leave. They will likely call you back.

Old 03-01-2005, 03:32 PM
yes they WILL call you back and in my case chase you in the parking lot as your about to leave! good pts others made, just dont let them know your 'too' interested, it was hard for me b/c i always wanted a G so to see them sitting there made me drool letting the dealer know im hooked....not good!!

Old 03-01-2005, 03:50 PM
this is no doubt is a helpful post.
only problem is when you so badly want the car, how do you control your emotions and not give in.

in any case... i keep jumping from one topic to another. Do the same to them as they do to you, if you are not satisfied with the price. Talk about options, trade in, finance, lease etc. But you can't continue that for long, eventually you will have to put your foot down, do it only when you know you have sure footing. Then the above points will help.

Old 03-01-2005, 04:24 PM
your in that dealership because you want THAT car....and they KNOW this. doing all the above will most of the times NOT work, but will not hurt neither. you may still get a break depending on where you live.
i for one live in ny/LI area and there is not much room for play between dealer invoice and their profit.
i would say that the biggest mistake people make is negotiating monthy payments. this is where they will beat you up.

10. dont be afraid to negotiate APR.

Old 03-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Patience for the car you want at the price you want (as long as it is within reason)

and walking away are your biggest assets in purchasing a car.

Old 03-01-2005, 04:41 PM
If I were going to buy a new G, I'd just tell them the truth. If they can't give me a price I'm happy with, I will go somewhere else that will.

A car is a huge purchase, and I would gladly go to any dealership within a 6 hour drive from here if it means I can get the car at a good price. I mean if you can save a thousand dollars or more by simply devoting an entire day to it, then shoot, why not?

Old 03-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Internet price haggling. I found the best deal(s) I could, nad put up 3 dealers against each other.

Old 03-01-2005, 05:08 PM
11. Tell them you know the invoice price (Around $$$) but don't show them the actual number you found on the Internet. In my case, they showed me their manufacture pricing with the options. It was almost four hundred lower then the number I found on the Internet.

12. Work on your APR with your bank or Credit Union first and try to get the lowest APR. Take it to dealers, dealers usually can beat it and give you even lower APR.

13. When you are working on your number with dealers, try not to settle on only one color choice first. I know this is hard to do. Tell them color is not a problem. If you tell them you only want this color, mostly they will tell you it is going to be hard to find. Remember: work on your number first, they can get the color you want from another dealers.

14. Timing: If you can, (1) negotiate the price at the end of the day when the dealers are a bit tire; (2) pick close to the end of the month as well.

15. When you get close to the number you want and ready to buy, ask them what they can give you for free. Even you are getting close to the invoice price, they still can make profits from you. If they tell you nothing they can give you, just tell them you notice the existence of evaluation sheet from Infiniti. Let them know you can bring that sheet to them or tell them you’ll make sure to write them a good review, they mostly will give you more free stuff. Infiniti dealers really really care about the evaluation sheet. It can affect their incoming stock number from Infiniti. In my case, I used this method for the financial manager at the dealership: Got lower APR. For the sale guy: I get 3 oil changes, carpets, cargo net. May be I was little lucky. Give a try, you never know what you’ll get, right?

16. Be patient

Hope it helps!!!

Old 03-01-2005, 05:53 PM
17: bring a HOT girl friend... that usually help distract the salesman....

Old 03-01-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by SilverII
17: bring a HOT girl friend... that usually help distract the salesman....

Well, since you're at it. Why not 2?!?!?! Entice their fantasy and distract them even more!!!

Old 03-01-2005, 06:31 PM
18. Pick a rainy day to visit your dealer. When there are less people on the lot, and they have no choice but to haggle with you for the sale (if they want to sell cars that day), you are the one with the advantage on your side.

A Bright sunny day with people coming and going from the lot will result in you being pawned off.

Old 03-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by armchair_anthro
18. Pick a rainy day to visit your dealer. When there are less people on the lot, and they have no choice but to haggle with you for the sale (if they want to sell cars that day), you are the one with the advantage on your side.

A Bright sunny day with people coming and going from the lot will result in you being pawned off.

Not for me, went in on the worse rain possible, walked out an idiot...

...but an idiot with an 05 6MT

Old 03-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Wait for a Year

During 2003 these cars were so hot that it was almost impossible to get anything below sticker. Some were lucky some were not. Nowadays, there are many used ones available that its easier to haggle.

I ended up getting $500 of options in 2003.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Negotiation tips for buying that G35 coupe