G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brakes

New brakes vs old brakes, yes the old brakes needed to be changed a long time ago. I bought brakes for $80 and they sent the wrong ones even though it was the correct part number, had to pay $27 to ship them back and still haven't got my refund. I figured out they were the wrong ones when I took them to a mechanic to get them installed along with turning my rotors. $150 to turn rotors basically since I didn't get pads installed because they were the wrong ones, they put the old ones back on so I could drive it home. I drove down to a store and got these posi-quiet brakes made by centric and installed them with my dad in 2 hours. That was the first and last time I will ever go to a mechanic, I do everything myself in my garage along with help from my dad but I've been short on time lately. I know it wasn't the mechanics fault for the pads being wrong but they charged me full price still. They scuffed one of my brembo calipers, torqued lug nuts to 115lbs, left rotors dirty. This will definitely be the first and last time going to a mechanic, it's good to know everything was done right when done by yourself. This was before everything was cleaned up, rotor and caliper are extra clean now

The following users liked this post:
Fastmodz (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 09:43 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Congratulations, it's always rewarding when you complete a job yourself! Getting to work with your Dad is just a major plus, I miss those days! I believe the correct torque on those lugs is 80lbs, that's what I've always used.
Gary

Old 08-10-2017, 02:14 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Brakes are one of the easiest jobs to do yourself that mechanics charge way too much for.... especially if they are disk brakes. Most disk brakes literally can be changed in about 10-15 minutes per wheel or less using nothing more than a jack and lug wrench, a C-clamp (often not even necessary), a flat-head screwdriver, some brake-parts cleaner, and a ratchet with just one socket (whatever the size is for the bolt that secures it to the hub).

It's amazing to me how places try to charge $800+ for a simple pad swap while using cheapo generic parts and often not even changing out rotors... that breaks down to like $500 an hour for labor after parts + parts markup.

Last edited by partyman66; 08-10-2017 at 10:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by partyman66:
Blue Dream (08-10-2017), Fastmodz (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by partyman66
Brakes are one of the easiest jobs to do yourself that mechanics charge way too much for.... especially if they are disk brakes. Most disk brakes literally can be changed in about 10-15 minutes per wheel or less using nothing more than a jack and lug wrench, a C-clamp (often not even necessary), a flat-head screwdriver, some brake-parts cleaner, and a ratchet with just one socket (whatever the size is for the bolt that secures it to the hub).

It's amazing to me how places try to charge $800+ for a simple pad swap while using cheapo generic parts and often not even changing out rotors... that breaks down to like $500 an hour for labor after parts + parts markup.
My local Infiniti dealer charges $279 for the front and $279 for the rear that includes turning the rotors, providing a loaner, washing and vacuuming the vehicle.
I will never use any independent shop no matter how much cheaper they may be.
I learned that lesson many years ago

Brakes-zscnudz.jpg

My vehicle will be 5 years old at the end of this month and I still have the OEM brakes at almost 90k miles. I won't have a problem spending $600 for brakes at the dealer when the time comes knowing the job will be done right with OEM pads

Telcoman

Old 08-10-2017, 02:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wanted to go with the OEM pads too but could not find them anywhere online or in store anywhere, I called the local Infiniti dealer and they said they had none in stock so these posi-quiet ones are good for this use. I feel that the initial bite is better than OEM. Only thing is that my brake pedal is a little squishy even though we bled them a lot. Nothing too bad but squishier.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Independent brake/alignment shops, all they do is suspensions!

Originally Posted by telcoman
My local Infiniti dealer charges $279 for the front and $279 for the rear that includes turning the rotors, providing a loaner, washing and vacuuming the vehicle. I will never use any independent shop no matter how much cheaper they may be.
Telcoman
With independent brake/alignment shops, if they didn't do great work they wouldn't be in business! Especially if you can find one in your neighborhood others recommend! It's not about the cost or letting the dealership wash my car (that will never happen) it's about quality work! I know of 4 shops that do high quality work within 30 minutes of my front door I'd trust to work on my coupe, and I've used them all!
Gary

Old 08-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by gary c
With independent brake/alignment shops, if they didn't do great work they wouldn't be in business! Especially if you can find one in your neighborhood others recommend! It's not about the cost or letting the dealership wash my car (that will never happen) it's about quality work! I know of 4 shops that do high quality work within 30 minutes of my front door I'd trust to work on my coupe, and I've used them all!
Gary
Jiffy Lube and Pep Boys are still in business but they have screwed up many customers.

Whatever makes you happy.

Telcoman

The following users liked this post:
canehdian_guy (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 08:22 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I have always found a couple trusted shops wherever I live to fix things on my cars that I can't. Even GM dealerships have some trouble with a few things on the GTO's because they are an older model these days. And there is no way in HELL I'd ever let a dealership wash my car. I spend too much time keeping them beautiful for dealership to f*ck it up.

But as said above to each their own.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My local Infiniti dealer charges $279 for the front and $279 for the rear that includes turning the rotors, providing a loaner, washing and vacuuming the vehicle.
I will never use any independent shop no matter how much cheaper they may be.
@telcoman: I agree with you. My right rear calipers had rusted and were clamped shut. So rather than driving it to the dealership, I went to a local, independent shop. They ordered new set of rear calipers and pads (I supplied the rotors). When I picked up the car and was pulling out of the parking spot, I noticed that I had to push the brake pedal ALL the way to the FLOOR before it gradually stopped. So, I went back in and told the mechanic and he said to simply pump the brakes. I told him that I did that and it was no better. He said to drive it around slowly and it should resolve but if not, bring it back the next day. Needless to say, I brought it back and they worked on it again; at the end of the second day, he said that it was a bit trickier on these newer cars (really, my 2003 is considered "newer") in bleeding the brake lines. I regret getting the job done by the shop as the pedal feel is not the same as when I had it done over the many years by the dealership.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by poolshark
@telcoman: I agree with you. My right rear calipers had rusted and were clamped shut. So rather than driving it to the dealership, I went to a local, independent shop. They ordered new set of rear calipers and pads (I supplied the rotors). When I picked up the car and was pulling out of the parking spot, I noticed that I had to push the brake pedal ALL the way to the FLOOR before it gradually stopped. So, I went back in and told the mechanic and he said to simply pump the brakes. I told him that I did that and it was no better. He said to drive it around slowly and it should resolve but if not, bring it back the next day. Needless to say, I brought it back and they worked on it again; at the end of the second day, he said that it was a bit trickier on these newer cars (really, my 2003 is considered "newer") in bleeding the brake lines. I regret getting the job done by the shop as the pedal feel is not the same as when I had it done over the many years by the dealership.

There are many new inexperienced new owners of older Infiniti vehicles visiting forums such as this one looking for advice. Many are over their heads financially looking for cheap repairs. The problem with using an independent shop is the cheap replacement low quality parts as well as shortcuts they can take to keep their prices below what the dealers charge.
There is an old saying "buy cheap, buy twice"
Not only does this hold true for automobile repairs but tools, appliances, TV's and most other items.
In my twelve years of being an Infiniti owner I am satisfied with the work that my dealer does. I buy my replacement batteries, tires,air and cabin filters at the dealer and do not care if these items might be a few dollars cheaper elsewhere.

Telcoman

Old 08-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Blue Dream
... And there is no way in HELL I'd ever let a dealership wash my car. I spend too much time keeping them beautiful for dealership to f*ck it up.
Wow, It is only a car that depreciates in value every day.
Keep it beautiful for the next owner

Brakes-hbuyifx.jpg

Telcoman

Old 08-11-2017, 01:36 PM
There are many new inexperienced new owners of older Infiniti vehicles visiting forums such as this one looking for advice. Many are over their heads financially looking for cheap repairs. The problem with using an independent shop is the cheap replacement low quality parts as well as shortcuts they can take to keep their prices below what the dealers charge.
There is an old saying "buy cheap, buy twice"
Not only does this hold true for automobile repairs but tools, appliances, TV's and most other items.
In my twelve years of being an Infiniti owner I am satisfied with the work that my dealer does. I buy my replacement batteries, tires,air and cabin filters at the dealer and do not care if these items might be a few dollars cheaper elsewhere.

Telcoman
It's been a while since I logged into the forum and I have noticed lots of new joiners with older G35s like you said. And yes, I do agree that, for the most part, dealerships are marginally more expensive than the small independent shops. And like you, in the 14 years and 200k+ miles I have owned this car, I don't recall being disappointed by dealer servicing my car.

I guess I took a chance with this shop since it was nearby my home <1 mile away versus the dealership being 15-20 miles away.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

^^^^
Are you in NJ?

Perhaps we are using the same dealer. I'm on my second Infiniti also over 260k miles and will most likely purchase my third Infiniti from the same dealer when the time comes.

Telcoman

Old 08-11-2017, 02:33 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods

Telcoman
Thank you for your repetitively useless post. I never said I don't drive them as they are both daily drivers, I just prefer to keep them looking great. But if you want a pimply faced kid that doesn't give a sh*t about wiping your car down with a dirty towel after the wash, go for it.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:07 PM
^^^^
Are you in NJ?

Perhaps we are using the same dealer. I'm on my second Infiniti also over 260k miles and will most likely purchase my third Infiniti from the same dealer when the time comes.

Telcoman
I'm not in NJ anymore. When I was living in NJ, I had it serviced at Douglas Infiniti and a couple of times at Ray Catena in Bridgewater.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.