G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Battery flopping around, what am I missing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery flopping around, what am I missing?

I've got an 03 g35 coupe, 6speed, and I know I'm missing an Engine appearance cover, the battery cover and the air filter cover, but I noticed my battery moves around relatively freely in the vehicle which has caused the bolt on the terminal to get all janky and need to be replaced, so I'm wondering if just buying the battery cover is what would hold it in place, or is there also a metal piece that holds it down that I'm missing?
I can supply pictures if that helps.
Thanks!

Old 10-17-2017, 12:49 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
There is a tiedown for the battery that you're probably missing. In the meantime the "double hook rubber strap" has faithfully held batteries down for the better part of 50 years.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
There is a tiedown for the battery that you're probably missing. In the meantime the "double hook rubber strap" has faithfully held batteries down for the better part of 50 years.
Excellent point.

I’ve found it tough to find the J bolts that hold down the mount though. Have been looking on eBay and such.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pictures included in the link below, its for a sedan you can see what you may be missing.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...-tie-down.html

Old 10-18-2017, 04:38 PM
They have a universal kit at auto zone I believe and most walmarts.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Doesn’t work... not even close. The G’s rear holder is like 2†Long at most.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:56 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
I hate our factory battery tie down bracket.

I take it off at least twice a year to remove battery for maintenance and winterizing. It's a huge PITA to get the rear J- hook mounted right into the hole in the chassis and keep it there while tightening.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mine is lost in translation, zip ties have worked for almost 5 years now :/.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by partyman66
I hate our factory battery tie down bracket.

I take it off at least twice a year to remove battery for maintenance and winterizing. It's a huge PITA to get the rear J- hook mounted right into the hole in the chassis and keep it there while tightening.
As an owner of two Infiniti's over almost twelve years I've never had a need to remove a battery of either vehicle. Perhaps you can enlighten me exactly what "winterizing" a battery means?
Aside from using a battery hydrometer to measure the specific gravity of each cell to determine if they are up to a full charge, which does not require the battery to be removed from the vehicle, I am perplexed as to why you have a need to remove your battery twice a year?

Telcoman

Old 10-21-2017, 11:54 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I take the batteries in all my vehicles (toro z-turn mower included) out once a year when doing a full electrical system cleaning. Might be a little OCD...

Old 11-01-2017, 04:20 PM
Ok, sounds like I'm gonna forego liking for the actual piece and make it work with some zip ties or something lol thanks everybody

Old 11-01-2017, 05:20 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
You can get the whole OEM assembly for like $25 from your local nissan / Infiniti dealership or just order it from one of the online Infiniti dealers. Here's the dealer site I typically use for that stuff but you can take the part numbers down to the local dealership and just buy in-town. It's the same for most Nissan / Infiniti vehicles so it should be an in-stock item. Don't forget you need both the front and rear item #3.

https://www.infinitipartsonline.com/...t/battery-scat

EDIT: oops you have a coupe, scroll down and get part 3, 4 for the coupe stuff at the bottom.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
You can get the whole OEM assembly for like $25 from your local nissan / Infiniti dealership or just order it from one of the online Infiniti dealers. Here's the dealer site I typically use for that stuff but you can take the part numbers down to the local dealership and just buy in-town. It's the same for most Nissan / Infiniti vehicles so it should be an in-stock item. Don't forget you need both the front and rear item #3.

https://www.infinitipartsonline.com/...t/battery-scat

EDIT: oops you have a coupe, scroll down and get part 3, 4 for the coupe stuff at the bottom.

ohhhh alright fair enough I guess I could do that since you made it so easy for me haha thank you!

Old 11-01-2017, 10:12 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
As an owner of two Infiniti's over almost twelve years I've never had a need to remove a battery of either vehicle. Perhaps you can enlighten me exactly what "winterizing" a battery means?
Aside from using a battery hydrometer to measure the specific gravity of each cell to determine if they are up to a full charge, which does not require the battery to be removed from the vehicle, I am perplexed as to why you have a need to remove your battery twice a year?

Telcoman
I remove the battery all together during the winter as the car sits outside under a car cover and remains undriven from the day before the first winter snow-storm (anywhere from early November until late December) until sometime in late March or early April after the snow and road salt are gone. This is one of the many precautions i take and have taken every year that I've had the car since '04 to keep it in pristine condition throughout the $hitty winter here in Massachusetts.

The car is parked outside in my driveway a solid 75 feet from the house, so I can't easily keep it wired into a trickle charger, and would also rather not have to worry about keeping another electrical appliance plugged in all the time anyways. I just throw the removed battery on a trickle charger while it's in the house once a month or so during the offseason to keep it topped up while it sits on the shelf in my basement. My Optima red-top is now about 9 or 10 years old and holding up pretty well by doing this every year. I do the same with all of my motorcycles.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
I remove the battery all together during the winter as the car sits outside under a car cover and remains undriven from the day before the first winter snow-storm (anywhere from early November until late December) until sometime in late March or early April after the snow and road salt are gone. This is one of the many precautions i take and have taken every year that I've had the car since '04 to keep it in pristine condition throughout the $hitty winter here in Massachusetts.
I figured it was something you were doing for rough cold weather months.

For the OP, you could find those items at a junkyard/pull-a-part also. However, it sounds like the battery tie down assembly is pretty cheap at the dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.