Where to buy sensor replacements

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to buy sensor replacements

A little background:

2003 g35 coupe, 6MT, ~98k miles

my car was working just fine and I was on the way to work stuck in traffic. i thought i had been a lazy with my clutch work and the car died on me. then i tried to start the car up and it took a good 5 seconds to finally start up. thought that that was a little strange so once i got to the parking garage i tested it out again and sure enough it did not have a quick start.

i've been researching and haven't quite found a thread that had all the info i was looking for. so i did a self-diagnostic and got the following codes back:
P0340 - camshaft position sensor
P0113 - IAT sensor

so i've read on the forum that it's best to not get anything but OEM parts. do these typically run $130.65 and $269.42, respectively?? would you recommend that i just purchase them from nissan or infiniti?

thanks in advance!

Last edited by Natmats; 12-13-2017 at 02:05 PM. Reason: car info
Old 12-13-2017, 02:19 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Nissan! Infiniti is of the opinion the world is filled with owners that have endless very deep pockets! Auto parts stores offer life time warranty but who wants to change sensors or any other electronic part every 2 to 3 years? Having had SLICK serviced at Nissan a few times I believe they charge around 30% less than the almighty Infiniti!
Gary

The following users liked this post:
Natmats (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Nissan! Infiniti is of the opinion the world is filled with owners that have endless very deep pockets! Auto parts stores offer life time warranty but who wants to change sensors or any other electronic part every 2 to 3 years? Having had SLICK serviced at Nissan a few times I believe they charge around 30% less than the almighty Infiniti!
Gary
For sure; thanks Gary!

so you just straight up took it to the nissan dealership to get it done? i was going to buy the sensors and save on the labor since the actual replacing seems like a breeze (not any more difficult than changing oil)...

Old 12-13-2017, 02:25 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I recommend you just purchase the correct part number online through amazon or another vendor and not pay dealership markup on those items. Inspect the IAT/MAF to make sure it's not just a poor connection at the harness, that's not a common sensor to fail.

Before you do anything clean the MAF with the proper cleaner, there isn't a separate intake air temp sensor on these vehicles it's integrated into the mass airflow sensor and it could simply be dirty.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
I recommend you just purchase the correct part number online through amazon or another vendor and not pay dealership markup on those items. Inspect the IAT/MAF to make sure it's not just a poor connection at the harness, that's not a common sensor to fail.

Before you do anything clean the MAF with the proper cleaner, there isn't a separate intake air temp sensor on these vehicles it's integrated into the mass airflow sensor and it could simply be dirty.
thanks cleric! good call. i'm going to pick up the CRC MAF cleaner on my way home and cleaning that ish. i haven't cleaned that for the 13 years i've had it! hope it's the issue!

Thanks again!

Old 12-13-2017, 11:41 PM

sweet! I just cleaned my MAF sensor and changed out my air filter as it was due. Now I only get the cam shaft position sensor code! Glad to know that the IAT sensor is not faulty. Dodged that bullet.

thanks!

Old 12-14-2017, 12:58 AM
will the hitachi sensor replacement work without any issues for the 03 g35c? it's got a cylindrical shape rather than rectangular. i read in some other threads that it got shaved down by the camshaft when someone tried to install it in their 03 350z...

Amazon Amazon

thanks!

Old 12-14-2017, 05:21 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
No it won't. Heed the advice you got when searching and only use OEM sensors on your car. Here's the best price I could find when I replaced mine. Nissan wanted $146 and Infiniti wanted $187 for the same damn part.
Amazon Amazon

Old 12-15-2017, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Duralast sensors have worked fine in my car for the past 3 years.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:58 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Built to last, DURALAST!

Sometimes you do get good aftermarket pieces but I usually have REALLY bad luck with them. I think I went through 7-8 GM ignition control modules when I tried to save $100 by getting the one from an O'reillys.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Duralast sensors have worked fine in my car for the past 3 years.
Do you know the part number? I’ve been going back and forth with Nissan and they sent the wrong part (or at least it looks completely different) and they’re calling it “SENSOR A-CRANK” 23731-JA11B

The rep was explaining to me they are calling it the same thing...

Old 12-16-2017, 02:27 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
You received the crankshaft position sensor, it's a different part than what you're looking for. The Infiniti/Nissan part number for the cam pos. sensor you need is Infiniti 23731-6J90B. Follow my Amazon link if you want the right one.

A lot more members have had issues with the aftermarket sensors than have had success so if you don't get OEM be prepared for potential issues. I don't advocate OEM very often but I will always do so in this case.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:36 AM

so i cleaned the MAF last week and cleared the P0113 error code. then this evening, i tried to replace the camshaft position sensor and the error code P0113 came back on. anyone experience this at all?

i might have to just take melody into a shop...

Old 01-06-2018, 05:56 PM
**UPDATE**

first, thank you to everyone who helped me out with this! i finally bought the camshaft sensor via the Amazon link and replaced it pretty easily.

i went ahead and did an oil change since it was due. after everything was done and i put the old oil in the 5-qt container, i noticed that it only filled up 3/5 of the way! i think my engine was about to seize from lack of oil as the main issue.... the day Melody first stalled and had trouble turning over, i added 1 quart of oil, which means there was really only 2 quarts of oil in the engine...

Melody is up and running and starting up fine now but now my question is, where did those 3 quarts of oil go??

Old 01-06-2018, 06:17 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Consumed by the engine, worn piston rings exacerbate the problem but these engines were notorious for oil consumption (OC) even with low miles on the clock. Since you have a 6MT the issue can be a lot worse from downshifting to slow the vehicle, the significant timing retard creates a very high vacuum situation inside the combustion chamber and it literally sucks the oil from the crankcase. I don't downshift nearly as much as I used to now, basically I wait until the rpm's are around 2k before downshifting and I only downshift to 3rd gear and ride it to a stop. My oil consumption was reduced significantly by changing my downshifting habits.

When you have time you should do a compression check of each cylinder to find out how much life is left in it.

I also STRONGLY recommend switching back to a conventional oil if you have been running synthetic, you will burn much more synthetic oil if your engine is exhibiting OC problems due to the smaller molecule size being easier to pull past worn rings.

Some oil consumption is also attributed to the nature of the PCV system but on the normal DE motor it's not as much of an issue as it is on the rev-up DE.

Either way you should be checking your engine oil weekly, I typically add a few tablespoons of oil per week depending on how I drive.