G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

5AT to 6MT Swap - Need IPDM wiring input

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 08:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5AT to 6MT Swap - Need IPDM wiring input

First post guys, but I'm stumped. My son and I are finishing up a manual swap on his 2003 G35 Coupe. Everything we've seen on various forum posts indicates the IPDM needs switched 12v power at the gray and red wire of E8 (port 43). I have switched 12v power going to the clutch switch and then to the gray/red wire on the IPDM. Verified that power is being sent when the clutch is depressed, but the car isn't cranking.

I'll check all the normal culprits (starter fuses, relays, etc), but the car was running fine when we began the swap.

Any feedback from those who have done this or who are knowledgeable with the IPDM would be helpful. I totally get that it's possible we powered up the wrong IPDM wire, but we're following instructions from others who have successfully completed the swap.

Thanks all...

Old 01-19-2018, 08:54 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/infiniti-g35-g37-factory-service-manuals.html

I'd go over the electrical circuit differences straight from the manual to verify the work. Early 2003 used some different color wires, you can Google "Nissan wire color chart" to reference the FSM.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/infiniti-g35-g37-factory-service-manuals.html

I'd go over the electrical circuit differences straight from the manual to verify the work. Early 2003 used some different color wires, you can Google "Nissan wire color chart" to reference the FSM.
Thanks Cleric. I'm going over the sc.pdf (starting and charging manual) now. Good thing is that it verified terminal 43 and gray/red is the correct circuit. Bad thing is it means I need to troubleshoot from start-to-end to see what might be going on.

Appreciate the input!

Old 01-19-2018, 09:49 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
How did you do the wiring at the ipdm? Did you try the other side of the circuit?

This is the only wire you need for it to crank so no need for much more research

Old 01-25-2018, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
How did you do the wiring at the ipdm? Did you try the other side of the circuit?

This is the only wire you need for it to crank so no need for much more research
I wired from the power mirror fuse, added a 5A circuit and ran to the clutch interlock switch and then to the gray/red terminal 43 in the IPDM. We've verified power at the terminal when the clutch is pressed. At this point we're troubleshooting the starter circuit just like any other starter issue and tonight we'll step through the Diagnostics in the manual (#1, #2, etc.). My money is on a relay or fuse issue, but we'll see.

We've been sidelined by a couple other issues lately and just getting back to the starter not cranking. Good news is that everything else is back together and ready to drive. Bad news is that she's throwing a tantrum and not wanting to crank. We'll figure it out.

Thanks!

Old 01-26-2018, 02:11 PM
Have you verified that you don't get a 12v signal at the starter solenoid?

Also, the DIY thread states #53 not #43, but grey/red is the color as you know.

You probably figured it out by now

Old 01-26-2018, 02:23 PM
Have you verified that you don't get a 12v signal at the starter solenoid?

Also, the DIY thread states #53 not #43, but grey/red is the color as you know.

You probably figured it out by now
Not figured out yet, but you are correct we did verify terminal 43 vs. 53. Different year cars had different terminal numbers in the manual. Relay tested good last night, solenoid and starter tested good, even the small terminals to the starter relay on the IPDM tested good when the ignition was turned to start. And as previously stated, we have 12 volts going to the gray/red when the clutch is depressed.

What we DID find is that there is NOT 12-volts going to the s-terminal (starter solenoid) when the ignition is turned to start (or at any time really). We were tired by then, so I need to start troubleshooting that circuit tonight.

Thanks for the follow-up!

Old 01-26-2018, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by Hobo

What we DID find is that there is NOT 12-volts going to the s-terminal (starter solenoid) when the ignition is turned to start (or at any time really). We were tired by then, so I need to start troubleshooting that circuit tonight

That's what I was wondering. That tells you a lot

Old 01-26-2018, 03:25 PM
That's what I was wondering. That tells you a lot
Any advice/input on where to start troubleshooting that circuit? We're verifying grounds and basically working from the wiring schematics in the manual...

Old 01-26-2018, 10:57 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Verify you still have power at the clutch switch WHILE TRYING TO CRANK, the IPDM may switch off the power mirror circuit while cranking to limit voltage/current drop (most start systems turn off all peripherials while the start relay is engaged).

After reading over the start diagram literally the only difference in function is instead of the TCM sending it's signal to IPDM terminal 43 you need to draw a separately derived source of power through the clutch switch to that terminal which is why I think you're probably dropping power since you verified you DO have 12v through the clutch switch. Measure voltage AT terminal 43 if possible to verify the circuit is complete.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Verify you still have power at the clutch switch WHILE TRYING TO CRANK, the IPDM may switch off the power mirror circuit while cranking to limit voltage/current drop (most start systems turn off all peripherials while the start relay is engaged).

After reading over the start diagram literally the only difference in function is instead of the TCM sending it's signal to IPDM terminal 43 you need to draw a separately derived source of power through the clutch switch to that terminal which is why I think you're probably dropping power since you verified you DO have 12v through the clutch switch. Measure voltage AT terminal 43 if possible to verify the circuit is complete.
Cleric, sorry for the delay but you called it! Mirror circuit shuts down when cranking. Moved my circuit over to the starter fuse and she fired right up!

My son is enjoying his new 6MT tranny now, along with new tires. Next is replacing the front rearward control arms. It's always something...

Thanks for the help!

The following users liked this post:
garrettyg35 (12-30-2023)
Old 02-03-2018, 03:55 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Awesome, glad it's all sorted out. While you're under the vehicle you should take a close look at the condition of the rear differential bushing to see if it's cracked or worn. It's a common wear item and would be easier to replace now since you'll be working on the rear components soon anyways.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, im doing the swap too. But where do i find the ipdm wire? Sorry first time doing it. And thats all i need now to start the car

Old 03-16-2018, 12:09 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
http://nicoclub.com/archives/infinit...e-manuals.html

Pick your year and chassis and it's under the section PG, Power and Grounding.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:38 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
When did nicoclub make these available again? I went there a few days ago after you posted your thread about them being unavailable and I got a message I didn't have permission to view them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 5AT to 6MT Swap - Need IPDM wiring input